PDA

View Full Version : Did Midway just raise their prices?

rockrat
11-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Could have sworn I was looking at some bullets that were just under $20 a box on Monday, and yesterday, they were just under $24. Did they just raise their prices?

I know I have visited some travel sites and the more you visit during the day, it seems the higher the prices go, and if you wait a day , then they go down.

AZ-Stew
11-25-2009, 02:55 PM
I just got the latest Midway flier and noticed the prices. As an example, Remington .223 brass is now $24.99, the same price I can get it for locally. And I can pay the sales tax and get a plastic storage box for 100 rounds with it for less than the cost of Midway's shipping cost for the brass. No bargains there. The higher prices seemed to be spread across the spectrum of products offered.

I hope they don't run themselves into the ground. Though I usually shop Midsouth, I often have to go to Midway to find items that aren't carried elswhere.

Regards,

Stew

Tom W.
11-25-2009, 03:45 PM
The last three things I bought were cheaper overall from Graf's. While Midway did have a lower price on the trickler,they wanted an extra charge because the total order was below $25 or some such. I checked several places, and even though the product price was higher at Graf's, the overall cost to ship was waaaayyy cheaper. I used to be a loyal Midway customer, but lately I've had to do a lot of shopping to get the best deal, not just the most convenient one.

smoked turkey
11-26-2009, 01:57 AM
I recently made an order with mid-south after comparing prices on some bulk .204 bullets(sorry that they are not boolits-but facts are facts here). Midway was way higher in that they did not offer them in bulk pack. Just this evening I compared their prices with Bass Pro in our area on range finders and found that the local store was much less (by $40) than midway. I am afraid that Larry is getting a little big for his britches. I do like them and will probably use them again.. just will be checking prices before ordering.

corvette8n
11-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I create a wish list at each site, Midway, Natchez, and Midsouth, I then compare prices at each and order from the cheapest. I do get a C&R FFL discount from Midway but sometimes they are still more money.

Pitmaster
11-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I create a wish list at each site, Midway, Natchez, and Midsouth, I then compare prices at each and order from the cheapest. I do get a C&R FFL discount from Midway but sometimes they are still more money.

Give Graf and Sons (http://www.grafs.com/) a look. Their prices are excellent with the C&R FFL discount.

tomcat
11-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I am a FFL holder with a retail store front. I inquired about dealer pricing with Midway. After sending in all my paperwork, they set me up as a dealer. When I started checking prices on their website I was suprised to see how little they dicounted their items. Most items were still at their retail price with no discount. I have since decided to pass on doing business with them. There are a lot of other distributors that want our business.

I miss the OLD Midway when they had plain paper flyers and used to ship for free, they had the best prices anywhere(back in the mid 90's). Guess you have to pay for the fancy fliers, color catalogs and TV programs sponsorships somehow.

mtgrs737
11-26-2009, 10:47 AM
IHO Midway has always been on the high side. I used to sell their stuff at gunshows and was set up as a dealer, but now I don't. They don't discount to dealers much and now charge for shipping. On the flip side of the coin they do carry a lot of items and usually have it in stock, they also are close enough to me that it is a 1 or 2 day ship to me. If I compare prices with others and if I am not in a hurry I don't end up buying from Midway. Midway tends to be the "Price Setters" of their industry, being the one to push prices up first. I prefer to buy from Brownells, and Mid-south if I can. Following a down turn in the economy is a period of hyper inflation, commonly about 15 to 25% increases in the cost of goods across the board. Midway seems to have jumped the gun here, my advice is to buy now to avoid the increases.

bubba.50
11-26-2009, 11:28 AM
midway is developing the same convenience store philosophy as brownell's: they think you'll pay whatever price they want to gouge for that one stop shopping. just my opinion, bubba. happy thanksgiving!

EMC45
11-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I am a FFL holder with a retail store front. I inquired about dealer pricing with Midway. After sending in all my paperwork, they set me up as a dealer. When I started checking prices on their website I was suprised to see how little they dicounted their items. Most items were still at their retail price with no discount. I have since decided to pass on doing business with them. There are a lot of other distributors that want our business.

I miss the OLD Midway when they had plain paper flyers and used to ship for free, they had the best prices anywhere(back in the mid 90's). Guess you have to pay for the fancy fliers, color catalogs and TV programs sponsorships somehow.

I called Midway once when I got a new dealer catalog. I let them know the sent me a regular retail catalog and they promptly told me it was the dealer catalog. Prices were quite high.

Pitmaster
11-26-2009, 12:59 PM
While I like low prices I do try to spread my business around. Especially for smaller companies with great service. I buy a little from Midway usually when I'm planning a trip and will be driving through Columbia, Mo which I do 1-2x per year. I can save shipping but that sales tax.

Paul B
11-29-2009, 02:14 PM
You people just do not understand. Potterfield wants to take another African safari at our expense. Then again, with you know who in the Oval Orifice, maybe he figures he should get what he can while he can. Just might be a possiblity.
Paul B.

Bad Water Bill
12-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Midway is just a little pricey. I just got an order with Midsouth bulk 20 cal 34 gr bullets. Midsouth price 39.99 Midway price 56.99. I can not see any difference in the two bullets except my wallet is fatter. Their freight charge was also much less. No Africa for Larry on my money this year.