PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 mag carbine prices?

lurch
11-24-2009, 06:55 PM
I saw one of these at the gun show this past weekend and was sorely tempted but held off, What are people getting for these today?

BarryinIN
11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Which one? The bolt action, the lever action, or one of the two semi-autos?
I think they may have made the #3 single shot in .44 too, but maybe not.

Anyway, the 77/44 was getting stupid expensive (like, in the 700s) after they dropped it, but it's back in the lineup again.

The 96/44 lever I'm not too sure about.

The two semi-autos seem to vary some. I think the older one brings more, though. I've seen the older ones run from $350 and up, but honestly it's been quite a while since seeing one. They could have gotten silly too.

Anytime Ruger quits making a gun, their prices go through the roof. I know that happens with any gun, but it seems more evident with Rugers. And, it often happens with guns that are just slight variations from guns still in production (so they could come back any moment...and sometimes do).

lurch
11-24-2009, 11:37 PM
It was the original semi-auto. the price on the thing was $450 as I recall. It seemed to be in decent shape, but I didn't give it a really good look over for fear of dropping $$$ I really wasn't planning on.

Uncle R.
11-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Original Ruger Semi-Auto .44 carbine in nice shape for 450 is about going rate around here. They've been slowly ratcheting up in price for years. They're fun guns and I like mine for what it is - but I harbor no illusions about its accuracy or reliablity. It's closer to minute of paper-plate than minute of angle at 100 yards. It's reliable for about ten or twenty rounds after cleaning - then it can start getting a little hinky. Despite the weaknesses it is one dang handy short light fast-firing carbine for deer drives in the timber. Mine has taken a few bucks in its time.

JIMinPHX
11-25-2009, 04:39 AM
If it is the original old-style carbine with the tube magazine, then $450 is about as cheap as you are likely to find one. Only buy it if it is in top condition. They have not been made in many years & there are no spare parts available for them. If you get one with a feed problem, then you have just bought yourself a single shot rifle with a pencil barrel.

If you do get a good one, they are great little guns. They handle like a 10-22 & knock bambi down with authority. Accuracy can be quite good with the right hand loads. I get one inch groups at 50-yards with iron sights shooting either 240 or 300 grain jacketed over heavy charges of H-110.

The book that comes with that rifle warns not to shoot cast boolits for fear of clogging the gas ports, but there are guys here on the board that call BS on that & do it. I put probably around 10 cast rounds down that barrel before I read the warning, then I stopped. I had no problems. My medium heavy charges of Blue Dot under 240-grain cast did not cycle the action, but did shoot well.

If the rifle has a magazine that comes out the bottom, like a 10-22 has, then you are looking at the new model carbine & that is a totally different beast. It is more like a .44mag version of a mini 14.

lathesmith
11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Ruger's making the 77/44 again? Hmmm, I always thought that one was interesting, but the used ones were too expensive. I may have to take another look.

I have a 99/44 lever gun, I really like the darn thing. It's fast-shooting, and handles cast loads beautifully and accurately.

lathesmith