PDA

View Full Version : Test shooting

desteve811
11-24-2009, 01:02 PM
I would like to get a setup in my basement to only shoot a few test rounds, No more than 5 rounds, All lead and no higher than 1k fps. I find it a pain to go to shooting range just to just a few test rounds. I have about 50ft of room to play with. How would one set up for this? wet phone books? Does anybody else have a setup in basement?

corvette8n
11-24-2009, 01:42 PM
I have a 35ft range with a rimfire trap for rimfire only. I once fired one of those 6.5 Swede traing rounds, wow talk about noise even with muffs on, I will never do that again. I don't think you could slow down a heavy cast bullet enough to get meaningful results. I shoot Super Colbri in my .22's all of the time if I switch to regular loads my POI changes significantly.

fecmech
11-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Just to test fire, a 5 gal bucket of sand will stop the bullets. Many years ago before I poured the concrete floor in my basement I did that with some .357 mag loads into a bucket about 3/4 full of sand. Nothing made it even close to the bottom of the bucket. It will be dusty after the shot!