PDA

View Full Version : lead gutters

partsman
11-23-2009, 08:15 PM
a local roofer offerd me about 800 lbs of lead gutters for a $150, anybody ever use it? it appears to be pure lead about 1/4 " thick very bendable.
is it worth buying or is a pia to work with?

bubba.50
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
no. you should send it to me.

targetshootr
11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
At less than 20 cents a pound, get it tonight before someone else does.

Bullshop
11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
I'll give ya $300.00 and pay the shipping to get it here.
BIC/BS

azrednek
11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I've used about 50 lbs of it. It appears to me to be pure or near pure. I use aviation snips, cut it into strips and right into the pot. I haven't bothered to melt any of it down into ingots.

lwknight
11-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Partsman , scrapyards are paying up to 50 cents per pound.

timkelley
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Getit!

John Guedry
11-24-2009, 10:55 AM
It's just about pure lead.

Red River Rick
11-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Partsman:

As everyone has mentioned, grab all you can. Those gutters are about as pure as lead can be.

A friend of mine owns a roofing company, and every year he collects all the vent flashings and what ever else thats lead.

This years take was approx. 7000 lbs of lead. I started smelting everything down last week and ended up with 4500 lbs of lead bricks, I still have about 3000 lbs to go.

Grab all you can at that price.

RRR

Here's approx 3000 lbs of vent flashings:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/RedRiverRick/Lead001x.jpg

Here's what 4500 lbs of lead bricks looks like:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/RedRiverRick/Lead003x.jpg

montana_charlie
11-24-2009, 01:29 PM
What do those ingots weigh, Rick, about twenty-five pounds?

Your stack is so tall and narrow, I wonder about how stable it is...
CM

docone31
11-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I have a shop near a roofer.
He brings me all he can, I fix his jewelery for free!
Works for me.
It is decent lead.
I get every drop.

chris in va
11-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Local recylcer has those flashings too. I don't have a use for them, but get their WW instead.

bootsnthejeep
11-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Ok, I apologize for the hijack, but have you guys ever considered what would happen if you moved?

I know you're probably all homeowners and older and more stable than I, but I've only got about 700 pounds of lead socked away, and I'm scared blind of the day I have to move again. All my ammo components and loaded ammo was enough of a nightmare last time I moved. My back still hurts.

I can't even FATHOM what I'd do with two TONS of lead and no forklift to move it with.

That being said, I have a friend that does roofs that claims to have an inordinate amount of lead for me. I'm not going to stop hoarding anytime soon. God, I hope I don't have to move again....

partsman
11-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Partsman:

As everyone has mentioned, grab all you can. Those gutters are about as pure as lead can be.

A friend of mine owns a roofing company, and every year he collects all the vent flashings and what ever else thats lead.

This years take was approx. 7000 lbs of lead. I started smelting everything down last week and ended up with 4500 lbs of lead bricks, I still have about 3000 lbs to go.

RRR

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/RedRiverRick/Lead001x.jpg

Here's what 4500 lbs of lead bricks looks like:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/RedRiverRick/Lead003x.jpg

WOW!! that is allot of lead.

what is your set up i havent been dooing it that long i am only working with a lee production pot useing the lyman ingot mold.
with them being that size isn't it hard to work with.
i am not putting you down just asking questions trying to learn....

Boondocker
11-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
Partsman:

RRR

You da man, I am jealous for sure. Good going and keep up the good work.:holysheep:holysheep

Cactus Farmer
11-25-2009, 07:41 AM
QUOTE(Here's what 4500 lbs of lead bricks looks like:)QUOTE

And to think you are going to use explosives to accelerate this whole pile to something in the neighborhood of the speed of sound or faster and the recoil from this feat will be absorbed a single human shoulder!

ARE YOU SUPERMAN?:groner:

Na, just another God fearing gun gun. Nice to know you sir.

armyrat1970
11-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Must be location but I don't ever remember hearing about lead gutters and I used to work at Home Depot. All I ever remember seeing and selling was aluminum. Now roof jacks and flashing is another story. That's lead.

canebreaker
11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Gutters are about 1/4" thick? If you had a shear press, you could lay them out flat and cut at 1" wideths. Drill a hole in 1 end and sell them to duck hunters for decoy weights. The same thing could be used as trotline and jug sinkers. Since it has a good flex, use them where you don't want a tangled mess of lines.
My last craigslist free find was a mix of wheel weights, spent boolits and flashing. I have ingots of the wheel weights and spent boolits mixed. Some ingots of the flashing, saved some of the flashing for wrap weights.
Label the containers or ingots of lead, wheel weights and mixtures so you don't have to guess what you have. Or anyone else has too.

beagle
11-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh yeah...... I did that about three years ago. Fortunately, I moved only about 50 miles but it was a consideration and ahuge job. I had 300 pounds of lino, about 500 pounds of pure and I'd estimate a couple thousand pounds of WW ingots.

I was hauling about four five gallon buckets of ingots at a trip. At the "new" end, I'd stack the ingots on the barn foundation and take the buckets back for the next haul.

I got it moved but it is a big consideration for a caster./beagle

Ok, I apologize for the hijack, but have you guys ever considered what would happen if you moved?

I know you're probably all homeowners and older and more stable than I, but I've only got about 700 pounds of lead socked away, and I'm scared blind of the day I have to move again. All my ammo components and loaded ammo was enough of a nightmare last time I moved. My back still hurts.

I can't even FATHOM what I'd do with two TONS of lead and no forklift to move it with.

That being said, I have a friend that does roofs that claims to have an inordinate amount of lead for me. I'm not going to stop hoarding anytime soon. God, I hope I don't have to move again....

beagle
11-25-2009, 12:06 PM
A lot of the joints on that stuff are "wiped" (50/50 solder) too,/beagle

DevilDog83
11-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I use the same stuff when I can get it, then mix with about 50%ww. Works well for my needs

mroliver77
11-26-2009, 09:21 AM
I guess I am a home body. I live in the family farm house that has been my home, and Dads, and Granddads and.. forever. I plan on one move. A half mile from here is a cemetery where my people are. I dont think I will take my lead with me.;) As Willbird says I hope to set it all free(after a short ride at mach 1+.)
I grab any and all lead I can. Flashing is a good KNOWN source of lead.
Jay

Crash_Corrigan
11-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I have a small hoard of alloy ingots. They consist of mostly round muffins about 3 inches in diameter and about 3/4" thick. I started gathering and smelting wheelweights in 1990 and the pile has grown some every year.

Between mining the berms at the shooting club and scrounging every shop that will talk to me I always seem to gather and smelt more than I ever get around to remelting into molds. It is now roughly a cord of ingots. The pile is four feet deep, four feet wide and eight feet long. I have not a clue what it would weigh.

I have had to move it three times and it was a killer. I can only carry about a half bucket full of ingots and I only load my truck with 15 buckets at a time. I forgot how many trips it took me last time but it did take over three days to do it.

My buddy and I have been contracted to demo another medical x ray room next month. We work for free but get to keep the lead sheathing. It cuts easily into strips with my KA BAR knife. We roll them up tight about a foot wide and seven feet long and two strips rolled, one under each arm is more than enuf for a walk to the bed of the pick up truck.

My plan is to make sure I never need to buy any alloy again for as long as I live.
Since I plan to live another 20 years I need more lead.