PDA

View Full Version : Patch Lube notes 11-23-09

357maximum
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Did some playing with ye' ol .50 Green Mountain barrelled underhammer this morning.

I used a few different versions of rendered deer tallow based lubes.

#1 was 50/50 by volume tallow/coconut oil

#2 was 60/40 by volume tallow/coconut oil

#3 was 70/30 by volume tallow/ petrolatum

#4 was 80/20 by volume tallow/ petrolatum

I shot 9 shots with each lube for group then spitshine cleaned the bore with ballistol/water before moving onto the next lube. Not a huge test, but it is all I wanted to do for today.

The clear winner in the group department was all of them basically tied as...I could see no glaring differences. They all shot about 1.5 to 1.6 inches at 100 for the 9shot groups, which is a little more open than this gun can and normally shoots...but we will call that my fault as I have shot it tighter before with lube #1 but it was awful cloudy today and my eyes like a bit more sun with my homemade front sight.

The petrolatum loads actually cleaned easier and were easier to load by a very small fraction.

The petrolatum lubes were alot easier to lube a patch with than the coconut oiled ones. The petro patches simply spread the lube around easier and seemed to "wet" better without being "drippy". I was handlubing the patches as this was just a R&D session. Normally I simply deep fry/soak and squeeze in batches. Patches were 1.125 diameter cutout of .018 walmart ticking with a sharpend steel 1.25 in pipe nipple and a hammer.

The petrolatum lubes are also seem a bit more flexible with more body. I believe I could make a decent conical lube with the 2 ingredients. I might possibly need a bit of beeswax to embody it properly for a lube groove however. When I get back from the rifle zone buck only hunt with my 35whelen stoked with BRP 260-220's I will have to do some playing. I will use tallow/vaseline/beeswax and the BRP 50-275 maxi hunter type boolits that Bruce built me in my old 1:48 cva from a kit and see if my assumptions are correct.

I am still thinking about my results, but the main thing is...I have a great use for all this deer tallow I have canned up. ;-)

Final thought: When you are close to a good patch lube, do fine percentages of mix ratio really matter in the real world?

Michael

Hellgate
11-24-2009, 02:04 AM
You say "canned up" tallow. All i did was pour it into muffin tins lined with foil and folded it over and threw a bunch of the solidified blocks into a plastic storage bag I put in the freezer. Does that sound OK for long term storage?

big boar
11-24-2009, 09:39 AM
I think I got it from this site last year and really liked it. 50/50 Murphys oil soap/Neatsfoot oil, tried it last year and was really impressed. Best part is the Neatsfoot prevents, to a degree, freezing in cold weather. Has a slippery clean feel to it.

Charlie Sometimes
11-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I have always used straight Crisco- melt some in a small sauce pan and throw in some precut patches. Soak up, remove from pan, place on wax paper until cool, pack in a sealed container until needed.

Spit patch, works too.

357maximum
11-25-2009, 12:56 AM
You say "canned up" tallow. All i did was pour it into muffin tins lined with foil and folded it over and threw a bunch of the solidified blocks into a plastic storage bag I put in the freezer. Does that sound OK for long term storage?

It will not go bad no matter how you store it if you rendered it properly. I just happened to have an abundance of extra widemouth quarts and figured I would put some up that way......cause I could. I normally block it like you, and then vaccum pack it.

357maximum
11-25-2009, 12:58 AM
I am starting to think patch lube can be almost anything.....the tallow is free for the effort so i will use that and petrolatum or another concoction until I use all my "tests" up......if I live to be 200 yrs old I may just get R did. :veryconfu