PDA

View Full Version : Lee sizer and pan lubing?

boatswainsmate
11-23-2009, 07:53 AM
I was just wondering how many people use these two methods effectively to size and lube their cast bullets? Thanks in advance Boats

cajun shooter
11-23-2009, 09:05 AM
For small batches and if just starting out it's used by a lot. I have two Star's and still pan lube my large 45-70 bullets. If I have to size then I use the Stars. I prefer the solid type of lube over the mule snot for many reasons, the first being I shoot BP only and it will not work. I still have three of the original Lee size and lube kits with the pan included. The current Lee set up is used by several people for shooting revolver loads.

desteve811
11-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Before i purchased my lube/sizer, i used to pan lube my bullets and then run them threw the lee sizer. I didnt like the Lee Alox, that stuff is sticky as hell and it has a way of guming up the bullet seating die.

jonk
11-23-2009, 11:06 AM
I've done it. I've never mastered the pan lubing 'pop 'em out' method- I usually dip the bullet in melted lube and set base up on wax paper. When the lube is dry I run them through the sizer. The only issue is it sometimes builds up a lot on the base of the sizer- make sure to pull that ring of lube off occasionally.

TAWILDCATT
11-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I ues a plastic tub and squirt some TL on and shake.then stand on end in cookie sheet.and leave for a day.it should dry so it does not come off on your fingers.

JSnover
11-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I still pan lube but don't need the push through sizer anymore. I simplified the process two ways:
1. Slug your barrel and get a mold that throws a round, right-sized boolit with your alloy. Your sizer will begin to gather dust :)
2. Use a cake cutter and pull the boolits from the lube while it's still warm. Set them directly into the mouths of your already prepped/charged cases. Seat and crimp. You're done.

Dale53
11-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I have panlubed thousands of BPCR (black powder cartridge rifle) bullets and then sized with a Lee sizer. When you use cake pans and lube hundreds at a time it becomes quite efficient. The key is to use a bullet lube that releases from the pan easily. I use Emmert's home mix (50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola oil. An improved mixture substitutes Anhydrous lanolin for the Canola oil (it keeps better after the bullets are lubed). I pop the bullets from the lube cake - it is quick, easy, and efficient.

FWIW
Dale53

armyrat1970
11-24-2009, 06:16 AM
If you use the LLA, why not let them sit for 2 or 3 days before sizing or loading? It's not a set rule that you have to let the boolits sit for 24 hrs after lubing before sizing or let them sit for 24 hrs or more after sizing and relubing before seating. I sometimes let mine sit for a few days and they are not tacky or messy at all and still lubed. I usually lube and let them sit for 24 hrs than size. They are a little tacky. I relube after sizing and will let them sit for a couple or few days before actually seating into a charged case and they are not messy or tacky and are still well lubed. I am pretty sure you have to clean your sizing or seating die from time to time with whatever lube you use. If you don't like them being tacky to the touch just tumble lube them and let them sit for 2 or 3 days before sizing. I always lube them and stand them on the base in a plastic tray. The time frame is up to you for sizing and seating after lubing.

joel0407
11-24-2009, 07:00 AM
I pan lube with FWFL and then LEE push through size. I find the FWFL can be a bit too sticky and it's hard to push the boollits out of the lube. I have to put the wax/lube sheet with the boollits set in, boollit tip down and push the lube around the boolits to break them free.