PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok "Not to Mod?"

superior
11-23-2009, 01:27 AM
As some of you may know, I recently picked up a new 1895g. Now this may sound funny but I love the gun just the way it is ! Is that wierd? I mean, I know there are many "upgrades" and "mods" available for these guns from many suppliers, but somehow I would rather almost buy a second one to modify, or perhaps a second gun, already equipped with the mods. Is it ok to leave a gun stock just because I like things to be as original as possible? ( like a bone-stock "68 chevelle?) I realize the rifle may not be as well suited for specific types of hunting but how would it be as an all-around hunter? I dont plan on taking any shots over 100 yards and I actually find the semi-buckhorn rear sight to be agreeable with my cheek weld and overall style of shooting. I have smallish hands ,even with gloves on and the stock lever loop fits and feels fine to me so again, I'm good there. I guess what I'm asking is: Is it strange not to want to change the rifle at all? Did Marlin build this thing with close range hunting in mind? If so, I'm perfectly ok with it "as is". I just wanted a good handy woods walker, that's all....( oh..and one that was capable of anchoring any animal on the planet with brutal authority)
Now that I have it, I feel I have both....Doesn't take much to make me happy..just lucky, I guess.:Fire:

northmn
11-23-2009, 05:33 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Northmn

Four Fingers of Death
11-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Keep it stock if thats how you like it because, its your gun!

Some of the gun mods amuse me, like choppers, squillions of dollars spent and they look pretty much the same.

I am not fond of the semi buckhorn as I find it slows me down a fair bit, but it is useable. I was bought up on the SMLEs in the Aussie Army Cadets as a 14 yr old and I think the flat top, squared notch similar to the SMLE is good to go. Thats why I like my Rossi so much, it is made out of a bit of bent sheet steel, but is crisp and quick to use.

I reckon a bit of chequering might be an option on my cowboy, so it feels similar to the 1894, but I will probably just sleeve it (sleeve it alone :) )

If I seriously start using the 1894 for cowboy, I might get the same kind of rear sight for both, probably Marbles Flat Tops so that I have a consistent sight picture.

ReloaderFred
11-23-2009, 01:08 PM
It's your rifle, so use it your way. I have numerous firearms that are stock, as well as some with lots of modifications.

When you quit worrying about what other people think, you'll be much happier............

Hope this helps.

Fred

docone31
11-23-2009, 01:19 PM
You have to modify.
Swap out the barrel, chamber it in a wildcat, rearrange the sights, reangle the stock. Put on a Field pad, rearch the lever, take out the shell guide and bead blast it. Heat soak the reciever and colour case harden it.
Redo the magazine to take 8rds, modify the muzzle, put on a reciever sight, and globe front spirit sight.
Rechamber the wildcat to 45/90, stretch the reciever to accept the round.
That is what a manufactured rifle is for.

doubs43
11-23-2009, 03:36 PM
What 4 fingers and others have said: Keep it exactly the way YOU want it! When someone else buys it, they can do whatever they want but, right now, the ONLY person that rifle needs to satisfy is YOU! What others "think" about your firearms is often greatly overrated.

I have the 1895 Cowboy and I've done exactly one mod to it; I added a Marbles tang sight. My 66 year old eyes simply do not work well with a barrel-mounted open sight. If they did, I'd have left it alone just as it came from the box.

superior
11-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Thank You all for your support. I feel better. Now, I'll concentrate on having fun with my "bone stock" guide gun. I'm just thrilled to be able to make ammo and shoot it! Accurate as heck, powerful enough for anything, and no gas checks ta-boot! It doesn't get much better than that.

muleequestrian
11-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Buddy there ain't a thing in the world with keeping you gun a stock model. I got a 95 GG in stainless with a WOOD stock. It didn't some laminated like some others. Now the sight radius was too short for me. So I added a scout scope on top of an XO Sight Systems rail way out on the barrel. Since I shoot humongous chunks of lead ( 535 grain gas checked ) I added a Pachmeyer slip on leather recoil pad. It eases the beating I take somewhat and adds a little length to the stock to fit me better. Other than that my GG is a plain Jane too. Well a nice leather sling helps me tote it around the woods better.

I once shot a blued model that had barrel ports on it... I didn't like the massive blast from the ports. Glad mine don't have them, or I'd not enjoy the gun too much at all.