PDA

View Full Version : new use for bullshop mold lube

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2009, 08:40 PM
I was trying out a new set of lee beowulf dies today and had a heck of a time sticking cases. Come to find out lee made a bad batch of them and apperantly i got one. I tried every lube in the house. Lee paste lyman spray, hornady spray, imperial and my all time favorite lanolin rubbed on the case. Nothing made a dramatic improvement. I then tried kroil and it to didnt fare well. I searched everywhere and came up with a bottle of bullshop. Rubbed some on with my fingers and sizing efford was about half what it was with the others. It got me by for the day but i still need to return the die as its ****.

kodiak1
11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I have a set of RCB's 4070 Sharps Straights and the only thing that made a difference and it made a huge difference was the lanolin (Thanks Jeff).
They sized like nothing, with everything else I had in the house and out at the shop nothing seemed to make a difference.

If lanolin didn't help a bullshop's lube did that has to be some slippery stuff.

Ken.

Bullshop
11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Good deal Lloyd. We do make a case lube called Bullsize that has Bullplate in it.
The Bullsize just makes it a little less messy to handle.
Both will work about the same though.
The press handle sure tells the difference don't it!
BIC/BS

Ricochet
11-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Wonder what'd happen if you heated it and melted a little lanolin into the Bullplate?

My old RCBS stamp pad has had RCBS case lube, Mobil 1, gear oil, castor oil and some thick, sticky hinge oil (probably pure bright stock) on it at various times. Probably other stuff I'm not remembering. Since the castor oil doesn't readily mix with mineral oils, and had become sticky, I saturated the pad with lacquer thinner to dissolve it all and squished it all around to blend it. The resulting mixture sure is slick!

C1PNR
11-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I really like using that RCBS pad. I press the case neck into it of every 2nd, and later every 3rd, case I size.

It really reduces the resistance on the expander button and I think this helps reduce case stretching.

stephen perry
11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Most guys get caught up on what is current. I have no Bull anything but don't need any Bull either. I have loaded rifle/pistol since 1962 don't remember any Bull back then. To be honest the CH case lube I used back then was plenty good. I bought 3 bottles of it a couple years ago to go along with my RCBS and LEE stuff.

Everybody likes to mix and call it their own. I imagine as much as I hear the Bull products that they are a donor on Cast Boolit good for them. Good enough to get the job done is fine with Bull but better than Imperial that's a stretch.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

StarMetal
11-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Wonder what'd happen if you heated it and melted a little lanolin into the Bullplate?

My old RCBS stamp pad has had RCBS case lube, Mobil 1, gear oil, castor oil and some thick, sticky hinge oil (probably pure bright stock) on it at various times. Probably other stuff I'm not remembering. Since the castor oil doesn't readily mix with mineral oils, and had become sticky, I saturated the pad with lacquer thinner to dissolve it all and squished it all around to blend it. The resulting mixture sure is slick!

John,

Does your RCBS lube pad take a spin on filter or the old cartridge type??? :kidding:

Joe[smilie=l:

Piedmont
11-22-2009, 10:09 PM
The mention of Imperial sizing lube reminded me of something. I sized down 150 gr. 270 jacketed bullets in multiple stages using a simple linkage bench press and Lee nose first dies. Eventually got them down to .269". Imperial case sizing lube was not as good as the simple Lee wax in the tubes for this. There was just no doubt about the findings. Makes me wish I had tried Bullplate but I didn't think of it.

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2009, 10:19 PM
personaly i think anhydrous lanolin is superior to imperial for any kind of sizing that is a bit more then normal. I had the same thought as Ricocet. I have made lube by mixing lanolin and alchohol. id bet if a guy addeds some bullplate he have something. Maybe bullshop will give us a recipe like he did with the bullet lube using his bullshop mold lube as using it straight doesnt compare economicaly to using lanolin. But it will allways be something i will keep in mind for the real tough sizing jobs.

stephen perry
11-22-2009, 10:19 PM
You went from .277 down to .269 for what purpose in a jacketed bullet. Since the core went along for the ride too what do you think happened to it.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :holysheep

StarMetal
11-22-2009, 10:24 PM
personaly i think anhydrous lanolin is superior to imperial for any kind of sizing that is a bit more then normal. I had the same thought as Ricocet. I have made lube by mixing lanolin and alchohol. id bet if a guy addeds some bullplate he have something. Maybe bullshop will give us a recipe like he did with the bullet lube using his bullshop mold lube as using it straight doesnt compare economicaly to using lanolin. But it will allways be something i will keep in mind for the real tough sizing jobs.

I had a Dillion case lube made of the same stuff. I don't doubt for one minute it's a good lube, but it was stickiest, nastiest stuff I ever used and was glad to get rid of it.

Joe

stephen perry
11-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Lloyd
This is a common mixture for making BR bullets. I use a 3 to 1 ratio of lanoline to vaseline heat and store in film canisters. Four canisters have last me for 10 years I still have 2 of the canisters full. I tumble the jackets in a gallon mason jar.

Stephen Perry

wistlepig1
11-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I have used most of the products talked about above and I now use anhydrous lanolin mixed 4-5 parts 99% alcohol to 1 part lanolin. You can use 91% but NOT 70%. I have given sample to many of my friends that reload and they all like it, mostly because I give it to them,haha.
This will get some "all wound up" but it's the best I have found for sizing. I have not tryed any of BULL's products but I am sure from what I read it is a good product.

Safeway stores have 99% sometimes and I get my lanolin from NOW. I will provide link to NOW if anyone needs it, PM me. and I don't own stock in this company

Lloyd Smale
11-23-2009, 08:53 AM
I agree on lanolin in that respect. It can be a mess and is a bit harder to tumble off but an extra hour or so in the tumbler takes care of it.
I had a Dillion case lube made of the same stuff. I don't doubt for one minute it's a good lube, but it was stickiest, nastiest stuff I ever used and was glad to get rid of it.

Joe

Piedmont
11-23-2009, 09:13 AM
You went from .277 down to .269 for what purpose in a jacketed bullet. Since the core went along for the ride too what do you think happened to it.

For a Carcano. I can tell you that the core got longer.

Calamity Jake
11-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I agree on lanolin in that respect. It can be a mess and is a bit harder to tumble off but an extra hour or so in the tumbler takes care of it.

Been using home made Dillion lube for 4-5 years how, my vibrating case cleaner with walnut hulls and a little minerial spirits takes about 20 minutes to remove the lube, don't need no hour.

Recluse
11-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Most guys get caught up on what is current. I have no Bull anything but don't need any Bull either. I have loaded rifle/pistol since 1962 don't remember any Bull back then. To be honest the CH case lube I used back then was plenty good. I bought 3 bottles of it a couple years ago to go along with my RCBS and LEE stuff.

Everybody likes to mix and call it their own. I imagine as much as I hear the Bull products that they are a donor on Cast Boolit good for them. Good enough to get the job done is fine with Bull but better than Imperial that's a stretch.

Stephen Perry

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :holysheep

I could list endless more instances. . . .

Your condenscending, know-it-all, holier-than-though, absolute-superiority attitude has finally rubbed me, at least, the wrong way.

Yes, Dan (Bullshop) is a vendor on this site--more importantly, he's a longtime member and contributor that has helped far more casters than you ever will.

Every where you "contribute" Stephen, it is little more than to serve up your self-professed superiority of knowledge--when in several instances--has been less than 100% correct or accurate.

A great number of us have used Dan's products, and therefore our opinions and statements are based upon relevant, firsthand experience--not "reading and learning from the masters" as you once described how you acquired your knowledge.

I know your type well. It was a 0-7 one-star with the same kind of ring-knocker superiority that was responsible for me getting my first purple heart back in my service days. He was a good talker but a do-nothing, talentless hack. He almost got me killed. For the rest of my service days, I did my best to ignore and avoid this legend-in-his-own-mind.

I'm doing the same here with you so that I do not have to read any more of your snipes, slams, snips or holier-than-thou comments about members who have been around here a helluva longer than you.

Congratulations. You're just the second person to ever make it onto my Ignore list.

:coffee:

StarMetal
11-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Perry,

I'm the resident smartbutt and there's not room for two of us. :bigsmyl2:

Ligthen up some will ya? Especially for a newer member.

Dan is a long time member, vendor, all around nice guy, a friend of mine.....and a good Christian.

Joe[smilie=s:

45nut
11-23-2009, 01:25 PM

Stephen Perry

from a friend:

I have no Bull anything but don't need any Bull either.

It's Bullshop, not Bull. I'm sure he's aware of the double entendre' and if it was intended.

.............but don't need any Bull either.

Not needing any Bullshop products, or pointed at Lloyd Smalle's comment about how well it worked?

I have loaded rifle/pistol since 1962 don't remember any Bull back then.

So I suppose then everything he's using pre-dates 1962, and if it doesn't it's no good? No room for improvement since then?

Everybody likes to mix and call it their own. I imagine as much as I hear the Bull products that they are a donor on Cast Boolit good for them.

Because they're a sponser here someone is going lie about something being good when it isn't?

Good enough to get the job done is fine with Bull but better than Imperial that's a stretch.

Let's see, it's newer then 1962 so it's no good. Lloyd is telling a stretcher because The Bullshop is a sponser here. The stuff is really worthless and since Lloyd has been a member here since 3-2005 and is coming up on 5,000 posts he feels comfortable lying. Ah ..........I get it now. We're sure blessed to have good ole Stephen here to protect us from all this bull, aren't we boys?

Well Stephen,
You aren't up to the task of even acting like a gentleman here? If we have no worth,, why are you here?
I offered up my phone number to discuss things and thus far have not received a call,, does that mean the forum has no worth?
If you are just here to repeat the antics that resulted in your dismissal, with prejudice, from the cba forum, you have a good start.
Either result is fine by me, your call.

mroliver77
11-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Thank you Ken! There seems to be more and more "attitude" on this forum and I do not like it. This has been my "home" on the web for some years and is a friendly place. There are a couple more need there cages rattled so why youre on a roll.............;)
Jay