PDA

View Full Version : Lead Hazards?

I Haines
11-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but what kind of health hazards would there be by using large lead weights in boating. I wonder about the lead oxidizing and washing off into the water. Problem or no? IH

ReloaderFred
11-22-2009, 01:13 PM
There are many myths about lead and exposure to lead. You can use lead for ballast just fine for your boat, but they would be better used for making bullets. I'm sure that the tons of lead fishing sinkers on the bottom of your lake or ocean aren't going to be anymore of a problem than the ballast of your boat.

Another source of ballast is steel stamping leftovers. You spray them with a good anti-rust material and encapsulate them in an impervious capsule.

Hope this helps.

Fred

JSnover
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Not a problem. All those undersea volcanoes are spewing more dangerous metals in amounts we can hardly imagine. But if it makes you feel any better, every time I do a shallow water dive I bring a nylon mesh bag and haul out a few pounds of sinkers.

mooman76
11-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Lead after being exposed to water for a long period of time tends to oxidize and crust over. That cuts the lead micro particals going into the water down to almost nothing.

I Haines
11-22-2009, 02:10 PM
I understood that it was the lead oxide that was the problem. Isn't that what they used to make paint with?

BerdanIII
11-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Lead is insoluble in water. Lead poisoning comes from ingesting or inhaling lead or leaded compounds. Don't eat your ballast and you'll be safe.

HammerMTB
11-22-2009, 05:11 PM
All I can say is watch out!
I was ragged on heavily (and quite unnecessarily, I will add) for even asking a question about potential lead hazards.
It seems some here are quite touchy about the subject.
As was said above, don't think you have anything to worry about (from the lead) in your case.
Negative attention from members may be another matter.....

Cactus Farmer
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
All lead and lead alloys are VERY dangerous when made into boolits. Ask any of the varmits that have intersepted my eminations. Might have a hard time as they are ALL in varmit heaven.....
Of course the State of California knows better about everything that could possably be hazardous to humans or any of Gods other creatures......they will outlaw steak knives next......they are sharp you know.......[smilie=f:

whisler
11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
The White pigment used in paint was Lead Carbonate not Lead Oxide. Lead Carbonate is bad if you eat it or snort it, but then lots of things fall into that category.

lwknight
11-23-2009, 12:22 AM
With all the hype about lead hazards on the environment, we could purposly do our most dastardly and be nothing more than an insignificant grain of sand on the beach.

I'll give an example: General Dynamics in the 70s used R-12 freon as parts cleaner. They released so much into the atmosphere that anything leaked out of air conditioners in the state. Industrial applications were releasing more R-12 than the airconditioners used.
Still the EPA came down like a ton of bricks on HVAC companies that couldnt make a fart in the wind compared to industry.
I think that the lead thing is about a paralell.

lwknight
11-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Obviously, whoever works with lead should use common sense and not ingest it, even minutely.

Siggy226
11-23-2009, 12:29 AM
First I was scared about casting lead bullets and melting down WW. That is the thing of the past. I do it outdoors and wear a bulky P100 respirator that I use for wood working and blowing dust out of garage. :) while melting down the WW and removing the gunk.

Now, the last thing I was going to be concerned about is shooting them. My range is indoor and I thought the ventilation was good. It's not. Smoke stays in my face after shooting and doesn't leave until at least 10 seconds later. I didn't noice with plated bullets b/c it burns clean. Well, with lead bullets. Oh damn! I'm going to fire a few non lubed lead boolits and see if there's any smoke.

Because casting my own (geez, it's only $2.50/box - impossible to break the bank), I can easily fire 300rds of 9mm per visit and I'm likely going to do it 3-4/month.

I don't want to end up like this guy and he shoots outdoors too. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=307170

I Haines
11-23-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm not too worried about lead as far as handling, casting and shooting. Been doing it for years and I believe the health hazards are minimal. But I was asked by a woman to pour her some large weights (50lbs) to use as ballast on her ski boat. The weights will be inside canvas bags with handles on them so they can be moved around to suit her. She's an intelligent woman and asked about coating the lead with something like Rhino Liner to keep them from coming in contact with the water.

I told her that I didn't think lead being exposed to water would be any hazard. But I wondered about the lead oxidizing when out of the water and then having it wash off when put back into the water. I'd like to be able to tell her why using lead is not polluting the lake.

We all know that the Govt will use any excuse to help ban firearms and ammo especially if they can make the public think that they are doing it in the name of the enviroment. Since this forum deals with lead shouldn't there scientific info posted that backs our side of the argument? IH

waksupi
11-23-2009, 02:21 AM
I don't want to end up like this guy and he shoots outdoors too. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=307170

I call BS. This guy was doing something else to get lead ingestion.

lwknight
11-23-2009, 02:44 AM
+1 Waksupi
I tested lower than the national average after a lot of indoor shooting and several months of casting and handling lead.

Nora
11-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but what kind of health hazards would there be by using large lead weights in boating.

The main hazard is dropping it on your foot. :kidding:

Nora

Bret4207
11-23-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm with Waksupi on the High Road post. There could have been a million other environmental factors leading to his problem. I'm also puzzled on his "cloud of smoke" descriptions in a covered range. Even with no breeze I've never seen the smoke, what little of it there is, just sit there.

As a former Haz Mat Inspector I was amazed at the things that are considered Hazardous Materials. Wood pulp, any mineral with a certain amount of certain materials. IOW- if a tractor trailer with 60K lbs of ore in it had 1.7 lbs of Thiscrapisbadforyou in it then the whole load was dangerous. Of course you'd have to chew 60,000 lbs of rock to get to the problem, but by God, you were safe 'cuz it had a placard! Flour, sugar, beet pulp- all can be a health hazard. It's applying a little common sense that will protect you. Wash after casting, smelt outside, don't pour water into a melt... simple stuff.

HammerMTB
11-23-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm not too worried about lead as far as handling, casting and shooting. Been doing it for years and I believe the health hazards are minimal. But I was asked by a woman to pour her some large weights (50lbs) to use as ballast on her ski boat. The weights will be inside canvas bags with handles on them so they can be moved around to suit her. She's an intelligent woman and asked about coating the lead with something like Rhino Liner to keep them from coming in contact with the water.

I told her that I didn't think lead being exposed to water would be any hazard. But I wondered about the lead oxidizing when out of the water and then having it wash off when put back into the water. I'd like to be able to tell her why using lead is not polluting the lake.

We all know that the Govt will use any excuse to help ban firearms and ammo especially if they can make the public think that they are doing it in the name of the enviroment. Since this forum deals with lead shouldn't there scientific info posted that backs our side of the argument? IH

I have a couple items for your/her consideration.
First, having had a ski boat and worked in engineering at a boat makers', lead would not be my first choice in a ski boat. I would use water, and that is just what I did in my ski boat.
I got a 100 gallon tank, set it as the rearmost seat in the boat, and rigged a pump. Filled the tank with lake water when I started, and pulled the plug and let it out when I pulled the boat out.
Next, it is common to coat lead downrigger balls. You could coat them with Plasti-Dip, or the aforementioned Rhino-Liner would work just fine. It won't make any difference in the hazard quotient, but it may put fewer dents in things tossed around in the boat.
In any case, good luck on it!