PDA

View Full Version : cleaning .22 LR chamber after shorts?

Randall
11-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Well, looks like I forgot to clean the chamber of my Marlin 39 after shooting a few hundred shorts and then trying to shoot LR. The LR was a little reluctant to chamber and I had to push it out with a cleaning rod. So I now have ironed in **** in the chamber. I tried kroil and shooters choice on a brush wrapped with frontier .45 cleaning pad (chore boy) to no avail. Maybe if I let it soak in kroil for a week?

longhorn47
11-21-2009, 02:02 PM
J B bore cleaner will clean out your 22 chamber works great with no problems

11-21-2009, 02:06 PM
That's why I don't shoot shorts.... except in a dedicated 22 POC that's worthless anyway.

I think your approach is right. Just keep repeating and soaking. I don't know about ironed on but for sure built up carbon in layers and baked. That buildup is about the same as one sees when shooting 38s in 357 chambers or 44SPLs in 44 mags, etc. The combination of solvent and mechanical with the bronze wool type stuff... repeating over time should do it. The big problem with cleaning 22 rimfires is that excess solvent goes many places you don't want it like in the action and stock near the breech. Might also try some Hoppes or other regular nitro solvents or other so-called carbon type solvents. In the end, I've never found a "magic" carbon solvent.... usually requires elbow grease and mechanical abrasion or JBs or Rem Clean with the clay solution like JBs. Then there's always 0000 steel wool... but I avoid using it except in last resort situations.

Randall
11-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Had a friend suggest sharpening the case mouth to scrape the chamber,that works to get the biggest part out.now for some JB bore paste.

stephen perry
11-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Try a wood dowell with some JB rubbed in. Be careful, should cut the lead.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

vincewarde
11-21-2009, 02:55 PM
If it's carbon fouling - and it just could be - it is actually harder than lead fouling. I use Ed's Red Bore Cleaner less Acetone (Google for the recipe). You could even try straight ATF. Auto trans fluid has additives that really dissolve carbon fouling.

If it is lead, others have given great advice.

StarMetal
11-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Gumout carburetor spray cleaner.

S.R.Custom
11-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Bronze brush... dry.

Randall
11-25-2009, 07:29 PM
I GOT THE CHAMBER CLEAN! I used an empty case and sharpened the mouth to make a scraper to get rid of most of the crud,I then used Kroil and frontier 45 cleaning pad to get the rest.No more shorts for me!

montana_charlie
11-25-2009, 07:50 PM
"cleaning .22 LR chamber after shorts?"

Kinda depends on which needs cleaning the most...the chamber, or your shorts.
Also kinda depends on what they're dirtied up with.
CM

Bill*
11-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Will Eds Red clean your shorts too?

Randall
11-25-2009, 11:28 PM
The shorts almost needed cleaning when I got a long rifle cartridge stuck in the chamber.

Bret4207
11-27-2009, 08:43 AM
I shoot shorts in my Kit Gun on the trapline (when I have time to trap!). If you can rmeber to runa little lube like Break Free or ATF int he cylinder before you use the shorts, the very minor carbon crud that running 5-7 cylinders full produced comes out with a simple brass brush. For heavy fouling I've used my old dtand by 4/0 steel wool with xero problems. For truly heavy fouling I use a 22LR chambering reamer.

Same advice gores for extended use of 22WRF in 22 Mag chambers. Centerfire ammo seem to produce a different kind of fouling than what RF produce.

JIMinPHX
11-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Kroil loosens up lead fouling, but it does not dissolve powder fouling as far as I have noticed. Coffee pot cleaner seems to be the most powerful stuff around for that task. Use it cautiously though. It's pretty mean stuff. If you want something more mild, then you can stick with the traditional cleaning solvents like Hoppie's or Outers, etc & a brush. Running a bronze brush in a drill is a quick & easy way to remove those kinds of rings. (quick & easy being relative terms, of course)