PDA

View Full Version : So it begins...

dk17hmr
05-12-2006, 01:24 AM
I have almost enough to start casting bullets. I have the basic, I mean the absoulte basic equipment that my grandpa just gave me. I have a cast iron pot, a coleman single burner camp stover, a laddle, and lead. I tired it out today to see if it will work out for me. Grandpa gave me 5 sinker molds so I figured what the heck. I made up a bench quick in the garage, open the door and windows for ventalation and started up my burner. After 3-5 minutes the 3 pounds or so of lead I put in the pot was good an melted. Set the laddle in the pot and started in on the sinkers. I made about 100 sinkers and split shots in no time.

I should have a lee double cavity 9mm mold in the mail next week so I can start making bullets. Im going to go up to a local Hunting shop and see what they have if anything I need.

I am going to have my buddy weld a ingot mold for me so I dont have to leave extra lead in the pot.

Not much but its a start!!

DK17hmr

Carteach0
05-12-2006, 06:14 AM
For an ingot mold I use a couple old cast iron corn muffin pans
the wife got for me from Goodwill for a few dollars. Work like a charm!

It helps that she caught me walking out of the house one day with
one of her muffin tins. After the feathers settled she found me some
nice molds that are 'all mine'. (g)

Might I suggest... one of your first purchases be a good bookon the subject?
The Lyman manual has decent basic instructions that are a big help the first time
out.

mooman76
05-12-2006, 09:20 AM
You can use MT beer or soda cans for a mould. Just strip of the can when you need it. Make sure the can is absolutely dry though! I usually just leave what is left over in the pot and heat it back up as needed. The lead helps keep your pot from getting rusty.

boogerred
05-13-2006, 12:41 AM
that is pretty basic.although most of us probably started that way.i know i did. you will need to lube your bullets somehow before you shoot em. the lee size and lube die or tumble lube are good inexpensive ways to start. if you dont have someone to constantly look over your shoulder and advise you,this is the place ask for info.

milkman
05-14-2006, 09:35 PM
If Your Single Burner Coleman Gasoline Stove Is Like Mine, It Has A Lightweight Sheet Metal "x" On The Burner To Support The Pan. Please Be Very Careful About Overloading It. Lead Running Down The Front Of Your Pants Could Ruin Your Entire Day.

Milkman

dk17hmr
05-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I was just thinkin about that, I might get a chunk of steal mesh for that purpose. Here is a pic of my set up.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DSCF0022.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DSCF0023.jpg
Its a start, maybe in a few years when I have my own place and a good job Ill have a better set up with a vent hood and such, but until that day this is what I have to work with.

Those stainless steal shot glasses in the sand are what I use for an ingot mold. I bought them at the dollar store and they actually work pretty good. I went through and melted up all the wheel weights and got them into something usable.

imashooter2
05-15-2006, 11:21 AM
dk17hmr, not sure what that aluminum pan in the picture is for, but please don't use it to melt lead. Aluminum can fail without warning.

dk17hmr
05-15-2006, 01:40 PM
I use it to put the crap I scrape off the lead in. After 5 minutes in that it has cooled down enough I can throw it away with out worring about catchin the other trash on fire in the can. I use that little cast iron pot on the stove for melting.

Dk

klausg
05-17-2006, 07:41 AM
dk17hmr- none too shabby there brother, I'm pretty new at this casting game myself, but your set up is head & shoulders above mine. Of course living in a 1BR apartment means I have no garage to set up in... Just keep going with it, (safely of course) and don't be afraid to ask these guys questions. They have managed to correct most of my mistakes and even prevented a few. Take care & good luck in your endeavours.

-SSG Klaus

Leftoverdj
05-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Looks like as good a rig as you really need to get started. If you are going to buy Lee moulds, I'd suggest you buy the six cavity versions, but the dc 9mm ain't a bad place to start. Take the warning about the need to lubricate the mould seriously. It's real easy to ruin the smaller Lee moulds.

There's a lot to be said for starting as you are doing. You can upgrade a piece at a time as you learn what you really need and want and have a steady supply of bullets at the same time.