PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloader Hunt Success

JohnH
11-20-2009, 11:11 PM
At about 4:00 PM CST a nice spike buck fell to my CVA Frontier Rifle, 50 caliber and a Lee 320 REAL boolit (Maxiball?) and 100 grains of Pyrodex. The shot was only 20 yards, no great feat of marksmanship, but he hit the ground and didn't move from the spot, a through and through that tore the lungs in half. Damage is impressive. I'm much more impressed with this than I was my first kill with a 44 Magnum rifle and a cast boolit, and I thought that combo was a deer slayer. This is my first deer with a muzzleloader and I must say that I'm quite impressed. I may well do some more hunting this year with the rifle, even though centerfire rifle season starts tomorrow (Saturday, I'm posting at 9pm CST on Friday). I'm definately going to have to try round ball now. Thanks for the responses to my earlier post guys, it helped a lot.

11-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Way to go!

Cbenc1
11-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Congratulations! I keep telling myself I'm going to try muzzleloading season some day. Reading these reports are helping move me that direction.

idahoron
11-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Way to go! Ron

Hellgate
11-21-2009, 08:15 PM
What I have found is the muzzleloader killed deer hardly have any ruined meat.

357maximum
11-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Congratulations! I keep telling myself I'm going to try muzzleloading season some day. Reading these reports are helping move me that direction.

Some sick twisted throwbacks actually carry their fronstuffers during the regular firearms season. ;-)

Good job John, wheres the pics?

Underclocked
11-22-2009, 12:43 PM
sick twisted throwback... yeah, that fits! ;)

They are all I use ... even if they are perverse inlines.

Congrats on the clean kill.

JohnH
11-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Some sick twisted throwbacks actually carry their fronstuffers during the regular firearms season. ;-)

Good job John, wheres the pics?

Sorry about no pics, some of us sick twisted throwbacks don't even have cell phones, much less a digital camara. The flat screen TV belongs to my daughter and I can't even figure out how to get to "messages" on my wifes cell phone. I do like toaster ovens, automatic drip coffee makers crock pots and automobiles. Air conditioning ain't bad. The older I get the better I like it. Our only heat source remains a free standing wood stove I built late 1980's. And gas stoves and barbque grills rate "kewl!" I've heard rumor that there are bolt rifles other than Mauser and that Colt makes an automatic pistol... is that true? ;)

docone31
11-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I have heard, some of those sick [edit] even cast their own projectiles, some even make their own lubes, and there is this one kind of person who makes their own front stuffer!
There are some sick people out there.

SmuvBoGa
11-24-2009, 12:32 PM
BP is the best way to deer hunt ! I've used round balls & maxi balls out to approx 75 yds - a good hit & they DROP DOWN dead - FWIW my brother in law has a 7mm mag & "has problems" killing them ! Knowing you have ONE shot makes you slow down, wait & think about what you are doing. :grin:
TRYING to "clear" the smoke for a "follow up" shot has me running around trying to look above or below or to one side.
Welcome to a GREAT way to live. :drinks:

HammerMTB
12-03-2009, 12:13 AM
At about 4:00 PM CST a nice spike buck fell to my CVA Frontier Rifle, 50 caliber and a Lee 320 REAL boolit (Maxiball?) and 100 grains of Pyrodex. The shot was only 20 yards, no great feat of marksmanship, but he hit the ground and didn't move from the spot, a through and through that tore the lungs in half. Damage is impressive. I'm much more impressed with this than I was my first kill with a 44 Magnum rifle and a cast boolit, and I thought that combo was a deer slayer. This is my first deer with a muzzleloader and I must say that I'm quite impressed. I may well do some more hunting this year with the rifle, even though centerfire rifle season starts tomorrow (Saturday, I'm posting at 9pm CST on Friday). I'm definately going to have to try round ball now. Thanks for the responses to my earlier post guys, it helped a lot.

That's the same load I use in my T-C Hawken for elk.
When I worked up the load and regulated the sights, I got a bruise the size of a basketball on my shoulder and chest. Dang!
Then I did the math. There is the same energy in that load as my 7MM Mag & 160 gr bullet.
But no pad on the stock, just a curved brass buttplate.... OUCH!
But ya don't even notice when yer huntin'!
Well done, and the RB will be more accurate, so when the 100+ yard shot comes round you will have confidence! The RB will go thru and thru, too....

Hellgate
12-03-2009, 12:31 AM
HammerMTB,
When working up a strong hunting load I put a sandbag between my shoulder and the rifle butt. That way I get a SHOVE rather than a smack. All I care is if it is an accurate load so actual shooting position is not a concern til I fiddle with the sights.

451whitworth
12-03-2009, 11:17 AM
That's the same load I use in my T-C Hawken for elk.
When I worked up the load and regulated the sights, I got a bruise the size of a basketball on my shoulder and chest. Dang!
Then I did the math. There is the same energy in that load as my 7MM Mag & 160 gr bullet.
But no pad on the stock, just a curved brass buttplate.... OUCH!
But ya don't even notice when yer huntin'!
Well done, and the RB will be more accurate, so when the 100+ yard shot comes round you will have confidence! The RB will go thru and thru, too....

same energy as a 7mm Mag? only if you are throttling a 7mm Mag way back. most 7mm Mag ammo is over 3000 fpe at the muzzle.