PDA

View Full Version : The Light that Didn't Fail

NVcurmudgeon
05-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Dunno how many years I have been checking powder level in loading blocks before seating boolits. It seems like forever, and because I always look, everything has always been well. Until today, that is. While checking a fifty round loading block of .30/40 Krag CB loads for Winnemucca, one looked high. Turned out to be 32.0 X 2400, instead of the intended 16.0. That might have been somewhat of an overload behind a 205 gr. Lyman 314299 for the old Krag! The Mini-Mag on my bench just paid for itself.

Leadmine
05-12-2006, 07:17 AM
I do the same thing. Years ago I had a charge that looked rather high, turns out I had a wad of walnut media still in the case. I also had a round that I missed adding powder to once.
I assemble all my loads for single stage reloading and always check with a good light.
Well worth the added minute it takes to do this safety check. It does take a closer examination though when working with something like 19 grains WC820 in a 30-06 case.

Bass Ackward
05-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Yep. A good light when loading is like gloves when molding or glasses when shooting. You never need it until you do.

Shepherd2
05-12-2006, 07:52 AM
I've had a Mini-Maglite on my reloading bench for years. Not only is it essential for checking powder charges but it's a great help in finding all the stuff I drop on the floor.

1Shirt
05-12-2006, 09:01 AM
What every body says and then some. Once dropped a load of 2400 in a 44 mag case that some how or another wasn't primed. Really felt a bit foolish when I light checked it, and powder level was low because it had dropped through the primer hole. It is a good thing that the good Lord looks after fools, drunks, and reloaders. 10-4 on the light check!
1Shirt!

kodiak1
05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
that checking is a must I always try to remember usually do. Not to often you find anything but it is that one time.
Good reloading guys.
Ken

carpetman
05-12-2006, 12:10 PM
You can buy a fiber optic adapter that fits on a mini mag and it is a great bore light. Wal Mart has the adapter.

Sailman
05-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I know that it may take a little longer, but to avoide the above mestake, I only dump powder into a case I am holding in my hand. Before I place the case under the powder measure I turn the case upside down. If there is any powder in the case it will fall out. After I dump the powder into the hand-held-case, I transfer the case to the loading press and seat the bullet. Using this tecmique it is difficult to double charge a case.

Sailman

NVcurmudgeon
05-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Sailman, I follow the exact same procedure. Primed cases are mouth down in the block, and I always charge cases held in my hand. How I managed to double-charge one is a mystery, but the scale doesn't lie. Must have been "oldtimers disease."

Sailman
05-12-2006, 11:57 PM
NVcurmudgeon

Now you got me worried. I thought my system was foolproof. While holding a
just-dumped powder case in my hand, one could get distracted and put a second charge into the hand held case. The only thing I can say now is " thank God you cought your mistake ". Looking on the bright side, I bet you will not forget what happened and you ( and may I say I ) will pay a lot more attention to what we are doing.

Sailman

LAH
05-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Yes Sir makes you wonder how it happened........Creeker

bruce drake
05-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Carpetman,

That Mini-Mag bore light is a great idea until you let a Garand Bolt go home on one. SNIP!

Promptly went back for a new one and haven't been without one since. GReat little tool.

Bruce

NVcurmudgeon
05-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Carpetman,

That Mini-Mag bore light is a great idea until you let a Garand Bolt go home on one. SNIP!

Promptly went back for a new one and haven't been without one since. GReat little tool.

Bruce

bruce, far better M1 Mini Mag, than M1 thumb!

NVcurmudgeon
05-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Aha! I think I found the reason for my recent double charge. today, while loading some more of the same as brought on the near-disaster, I found myself getting a little uncoordinated while check-weighing a charge halfway through a fifty round loading block. I'm guessing that I dropped a charge on the scalepan and then added it to an already charged case. My "always charge a case that was upside down before charging" was violated in the check-weighing process. Resolved: check weighing charges will go right back into the measure in future. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks.

Sailman
05-15-2006, 03:34 PM
NVcurmudgeon

I am glad that you found out, or think you found out, why you double charged a case. What you found out makes me feel a little better. When loading, I weigh check each charge to the scale pan. The sequence I use is as follows starting at dumping the powder into the scale pan:

1. Drop powder into the scale pan holding the scale pan in the left hand
2. Transfer scale pan to the scale using the left hand
3. Take bullet out of bullet holder and transfer bullet to the top of the case in the
loading press using the left hand
4. Activate the loading press to seat bullet using the right hand
5. Transfer the case with seated bullet to cartridge box using the left hand
6. Check scale to see if the ammount of powder is correct, dribble if required or
dump if required
7. Pick up empty cartridge case and turn upside down, using left hand
8. Move cartridge case to powder funnel and insert the cartridge case to the
bottom of the powder funnel using the left hand
9. Remove scale pan from scale and dump powder into the powder funnel using
the right hand while holding the cartridge case in the bottom of the funnel
10. Transfer the powder charged cartridge case to loading press with left hand
and still holding the scale pan in the right hand
11. Transfer the scale pan form the right hand to the left hand, move scale pan
under the powder measure and dump powder into the scale pan ( same as
# 1 )

By using this sequence I feel reasonably confident that I can avoid a double charge.

Sailman

NVcurmudgeon
05-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Sailman, yours looks like a fool-proof procedure. I'm now dropping check-weigh charges right back in the measure. However, I'm so spooky that I won't use any progressive machine without automatic indexin!

Sailman
05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
NVcurmudgeon

In reviewing the above posts, I realized that folks may wonder how I can insert the charged cartridge case into the bottom of the powder funnel and then dump the powder into the top of the powder funnel.

I have constructed a stand on which the powder scale sits. The stand is apx. 6 inches high so the powder scale is apx. 9 inches off the table surface. On this stand, in addition the the powder scale, I have mounted a loop of # 12 gauge electrical wire. The loop is large enough to hold the powder funnel. When the powder funnel is sitting in the wire loop, I can bring the charged cartridge case to the bottom of the powder funnel and insert the case UP into the powder funnel. There is enough clearance between the table top and the bottom of the powder funnel to move the charged cartridge case. When I insert the crarged cartridge case up into the bottom of the powder funnel, it raises the powder funnel up out of the wire loop and seales the case and funnel so powder will fall directly into the cartridge case. After the powder is dumped into the cartridge case, I lower the cartridge case, the powder funnel falls back into the wire loop, and I transfer the cartridge case to the loading press.

Sailman

LAH
05-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Sailman I like the wire loop...........NEAT

All my check weigh charges go back into the case they came from.

When using a singe stage press (rarely) I'm normally loading either 20 or 50 rounds. Once my powder measure is set I normally drop all my charges placing the charged cases in the loading block. I then do the light thing. Then I pull cases at random to check weigh. The case stays in my hand and the charge goes from pan to funnel to case and the case returned to loading block.

On my turret after 10 primers are used this 10th case is pulled from the shellholder and check weighed. Then it's from pan to case to shellholder and bullet seated. Please note I use my turret press as a turret and not as a 4 station single stage press.

With my Dillon auto advance I leave the locator buttom out of the bullet seating station. This allows the charged case to be removed and weighed at any time. The powder is returned to the case, case returned to shellplate, and bullet seated.

Of these three presses the one that concerns me most is the turret. I can see where one could replace the case after weighing and drop another charge. When loading with my turret I always try to turn the turret as soon as the handle is returned to the upper or rest position. This way when the check weighed case is returned to the shellholder it is under the seating die and not the powder measure.

Anyway enough said, you see my proceedure...............Creeker

Sailman
05-20-2006, 12:13 AM
LAH

The first loop I made was mounted to a vertical piece of 1 X 4. Visualize a T with the horizontal part of the T sitting on the table top. At the end of the vertical part of the upsidedown T I mounted the wire loop. This worked great and gave me the clearance I needed between the bottom of the powder funnel and the table top.

Sailman

LAH
05-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Neat Sailman. All these years I've picked the funnel off the bench & returned it. Lots of wasted motion.........Creeker

Bigjohn
05-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeterday, I completed the task of reloading 900+ 9mm Para rounds (via single stage press) for the club. I can honestly say, that there are no double charges or empty cases; why, because, all of them were checked with a torch. One in each ten was checked for correct powder weight.

I do not charge any case now without a torch present to check powder weight even with the Dillon 550B, hence, I do not work the Dillon at it full capacity. Unfortunately, I did not always work this way and I have had my share of accidents. Luckily these only involved no powder in the case.

I have seen the results from several other members who do not exercise such cautious procedures. One fellow had a dead moth in his powder measure and dumped a dozen powder free loads into his main supply before he found the problem. 1000+ rounds and twelve duds. Mind you, his method of locating these duds concerned quite a few people. He shot the rounds off in competition carrying a cleaning rod to knock out the duds. To this day I do not know how he convinced the R.O. to let him compete under such circumstances.

Some mistakes that a light will not pick up are when powder and charge data becomes mixed up. This is one I can lay claim to unfortunately. The result was I ended up with what almost equaled a double charge by weight of Unique in a 44/40. I had mentioned the details of the loads to a close mate of mine who lucky for me checked his manuals. One very urgent phone call before I left for the range and I had to pull all of the rounds.
Now I also check and recheck the manuals right up to the moment before the first projectile is seated.

We learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others and should always be prepared to eat some humble pie. So fixtures on my bench at each reloading session include a torch and the reloading manual for the powder I am using.

John.

floodgate
05-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Bigjohn:

YOU USE A TORCH TO CHECK THE POWDER LEVEL!!??!!??!!

Oh, I guess you mean a flashlight. Had me worried there for a minute.

floodgate