PDA

View Full Version : Digital Scales?

lar45
04-23-2005, 09:57 PM
I ran across a place that I can get small digital scales for a cheap price. They weigh in grains with .1 grain accuracy. Price could be in the $20ish range. They want a minimum order of 100. I'm looking to see if I could split the order with a friend who has a store in town.
The one that I looked at was sensitive enough that you could blow on it and get readings.
They also weigh in ounce and grams.
there is a few different models that might work for loading.
If there is any interest, I'll see what a firm price would be and get some pics to post.

Willbird
04-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Wat is the maximum weight they will weigh ?? for that price I would be very interested in one for.....

1. Weighing things over 500 grains which my reloading scale will not do

2. sorting brass and boolits by weight.

one other way to check sensitivity is to weight a piece of paper, then write something on it and weight again, a reloading scale will measure the weight of the pencil lead on the paper.

Bill

MT Gianni
04-24-2005, 12:28 AM
I would be interested depending on range. Gianni.

lar45
04-24-2005, 01:28 AM
UP to 1300 grains. Anything higher than that and the resolution is +- 1 grain.

wcshooter
04-24-2005, 02:08 AM
I purchased a scale from MEADOWPINES on ebay. Cost me about $50.00 total. Not as good as my RCBS 10-10 beam scale for power trickling, but for weighing gas checks, primers, boolits, cases and loaded rounds works just fine and it's real fast. Can be recalubrated if ya overload it. Go to ebay, click on buy, put in 4983954661 and hit search. Should bring it up for you to look at.

C1PNR
04-24-2005, 07:37 PM
lar45,

Will they work AC/DC? What's the footprint size on my bench?

Sound very interesting at that price. Brother has a Lyman, I think, and I've been impressed.

Rrusse11
04-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Lars,
For ~ $20, I'd be in. Sounds good. I still believe that you can't beat gravity for consistency and accuracy,,, but for brass, boolits,,,, etc.,,,,,, would be ideal.
Cheers,
R*2

Ken O
04-24-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm in for one.

AnthonyB
04-24-2005, 08:34 PM
I'd take one at that price.
Tony

Bodydoc447
04-24-2005, 10:45 PM
For that price who could go wrong. I'm in for one, at least.
Tom P

buck1
04-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Im in for one! and I will a few local casters as well, and will update this post. Buck

grumble
04-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Lar, I'd be in for a scale like that, too. The price tag on digital reloading scales has kept me away thus far, but for 20 bucks, you bet!

buck1
04-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Do you know who made them. Are spare parts available? Is
there a warranty? Place to send the scale to if there is a problem?

Thanks, ....buck

lar45
04-29-2005, 02:12 AM
They are made by MyWeigh, they have a 30 year warranty and US service center. I just got the catalog and I'm looking through for different ones that would be useable. They have some calibration weights also. Some models come with them and others don't.
The first one that I was looking at had a typo in the specs. It only weighs to .2gns. There are others that go to .1gn though.
I'm trying to finish up some school projects to graduate this spring, but I am continueing to work on it.
I'll keep you updated.

Rrusse11
04-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Lars,
I for one would be more than happy with that kinda' resolution, +/- .2 grain, for that kinda' price. For brass and bullets and non critical charges,,,, more than adequate IMO.
Cheers,
R*2

Ps. www.myweigh.com , which model were you thinking of Lars? They look good!

Bigscot
04-29-2005, 08:19 AM
You can put me down for at least one. Maybe 2.

Bigscot

wills
04-29-2005, 09:57 AM
The ultraship looks good too, any idea what they cost?

kenjuudo
04-29-2005, 10:27 AM
The ultraship looks good too, any idea what they cost?

I got the Ultraship 50 for around $30 delivered. Very good scale.

jim

lar45
04-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Dealer price on the Ultra ship 50 is $23. so $30 shipped isn't that bad. Where did you get yours from. maybe it would be easier to go through a dealer and get a few instead of ordering 100 and trying to find homes for them.

jcork
04-29-2005, 07:21 PM
It sounds pretty good to me; my scale is pretty weak.

Wayne Smith
04-30-2005, 09:04 AM
I'd be in for probably 2 at that price, depending on the actual model we're talking about. I'll check back and see if a decision is made.

BD
04-30-2005, 09:49 AM
I'd be in for one as well. It sounds like just the setup for sorting brass and bullets. BD

buck1
04-30-2005, 01:22 PM
They are made by MyWeigh, they have a 30 year warranty and US service center. I just got the catalog and I'm looking through for different ones that would be useable. They have some calibration weights also. Some models come with them and others don't.
The first one that I was looking at had a typo in the specs. It only weighs to .2gns. There are others that go to .1gn though.
I'm trying to finish up some school projects to graduate this spring, but I am continueing to work on it.
I'll keep you updated.

Thanks, I have tried to get some shooting buddies to get some and those questions keep getting asked. ...buck

kenjuudo
04-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Dealer price on the Ultra ship 50 is $23. so $30 shipped isn't that bad. Where did you get yours from. maybe it would be easier to go through a dealer and get a few instead of ordering 100 and trying to find homes for them.

I was wrong, got the paperwork out and it was $33. Got it off ebay from old will knott. I believe he has a website.

jim

big uns
04-30-2005, 02:01 PM
I would be interested in at least one maybe as many as five at the 20 something price range.

Ken O
05-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Any more info on this? Is this going to happen?

lar45
05-11-2005, 10:39 PM
trying to get through finals and graduate on saturday, then I'll get it going.

Rrusse11
05-11-2005, 10:48 PM

Lars,
Good luck with the exams!
Cheers,
R*2

Cayoot
05-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I purchased a scale from MEADOWPINES on ebay. Cost me about $50.00 total. Not as good as my RCBS 10-10 beam scale for power trickling, but for weighing gas checks, primers, boolits, cases and loaded rounds works just fine and it's real fast. Can be recalubrated if ya overload it. Go to ebay, click on buy, put in 4983954661 and hit search. Should bring it up for you to look at.

I purchased one of those Meadowpine scales on ebay :-(

It won't even give an accurate reading on the calibration weight that came with it!

I tried everything I can figgure out;
Changed the batteries,
re-calibrate as per the instructions using the included 50 g weight.

Then, after turning it back on, I test with the 50g weight and it reads anywhere from 43 g to 48 g.

I compare bullets against my balance beam scale and it is usually at least 10 grains off.

Today I weighed a 158 gr SWC 38 bullet (scale read 174 gr), then took the weight off, waited a minute and put the same bullet back on and the scale read 144 gr!

I give up on that stupid thing!! I can't trust it for anything. If I were to use it for re-loading I'd wind up getting hurt for sure.

Stay away from these things!

buck1
05-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Im in for one! and I will a few local casters as well, and will update this post. Buck

Make that two! a buddy of mine wants in also. ...buck

Ed Barrett
05-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Let me know wihen you get done with finals and graduation, I'd like to get one.

BruceB
05-14-2005, 04:46 PM
There's that old caveat about "getting what you pay for"......

I take Cayoot's comments VERY SERIOUSLY. I also find it a bit odd that no-one else has even mentioned his results. From what he says, that particular "bargain" scale he has is a piece of garbage. I've been seeing these various cheapos on Ebay for quite a while now, but never got quite interested enough to send off even that small amount of my hard-earned cash. I would like to have a battery-powered digital scale on my loading bench in Der SChuetzenwagen, but...

When it comes to powder charges, we have to very leery indeed. Guns, fingers and eyes are much too precious to risk at the whims of an unreliable scale.

Even if we were to obtain a single sample and it worked passably well, that would only prove that ONE single specimen worked OK. What about all the others? Who knows? Quality control (or lack of it) is a very convenient area to save money when trying to get the product out the door at lowest-possible cost.

I also try to save money wherever possible, but in this particular case, I'll sit out. Not trying to rain on the parade, but just sounding a note of caution. Be careful, gents. You're all needed right here.

Ken O
05-14-2005, 07:47 PM
There's that old caveat about "getting what you pay for"......

Even if we were to obtain a single sample and it worked passably well, that would only prove that ONE single specimen worked OK. What about all the others? Who knows? Quality control (or lack of it) is a very convenient area to save money when trying to get the product out the door at lowest-possible cost.
Not trying to rain on the parade, but just sounding a note of caution. Be careful, gents. You're all needed right here.

Very good point! I have many scales, my intention is to check it against the others, for the price I understand it might be a ***, but if I get a good one, it might work out, if not, into the trash.

crazy mark
05-14-2005, 10:03 PM
If it won't hold zero or it doesn't weigh the same all the time 2 things come to mind. One is Static electricity. Wipe it down with a dryer fabric sheet. 2nd is you have a small breeze blowing over it. They are sensitive to breezes. Mark

buck1
05-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the warning! I just want a scale to cull bullets,my PACT will handle the powder. So I'm still in if it all pans out....buck

Willbird
05-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I ahve also heard flourescant lights can make digital scales weird, I would only use one for sorting boolits or brass for weight, never ever for powder.

Bill

Ken O
05-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I ahve also heard flourescant lights can make digital scales weird, I would only use one for sorting boolits or brass for weight, never ever for powder.

Bill

Digital scales are fine for powder. I shoot long range competitions and my measured loads come off my Pact, more for quickness. As I said previously, its best to have a couple scales to cross check now and then. I have a lyman beam scale that can't be trusted, and a Ohaus that is my beanchmark. With the new digital powder measure/scale systems, I would guess more competition loads are comming off these than the balance beam. I have had the Pact for over 10 years and can recommend it.
The top cometition loaders seem to like the Denver digital scales, but they are several hundred bucks, they will measure one flake of powder, its just how far you want to go with the accuracy, the Pact seems right around .1 to .2 grain accuracy, which is plenty for me.

Willbird
05-16-2005, 08:49 PM
To each his own, I have been using my 505 for 35 of my 40 years....I don't really cotten to digital micrometers either, calipers are fine for some reason hehe. But I could not bring myself to use a digital scale to weigh powder....too old fashioned I guess.

Bill

David R
05-17-2005, 06:19 PM
I would love a digital scale, weighing boolits on a balance beam is a pain in DA butt! I too prefer calipers that do not need batteries. I trust em a lot more. BUT a digital scale could make weighing boolits worth the time.

buck1
06-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Did you get through it ok?? I didnt sound like too much fun!! ...buck

BruceB
06-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Mornin', all.

Once I got accustomed to my personal PACT digital scale, I found it to be a veritable gem. I too keep an Ohaus 10-10 (dating from pre-RCBS-ownership) for backup and very occasional excursions. Of course, this means that I DO use the digital scale for powder, all the time.

My immediate check of the validity of the calibration of the PACT digital is that I have the weight of the pan SEARED into my memory...148.7 grains (see?). If the pan does NOT weigh-in at that figure, there is "something rotten in the state of Denmark", and I check further. I recalibrate the scale at the start of each and every loading session. Also, when setting my powder measure with the scale, I "tare", or zero, the scale for EVERY READING ....that is, each time the adjusted powder charge is weighed, I tare the scale first. It only takes seconds-per-reading, and this addresses the well-known tendency of digitals to "drift" just a tad in their operation. It won't drift very danged far in a few seconds, for certain.

A fine quick-and-dirty check across a range of weights is simply to weigh a few different-sized jacketed bullets from major American makers...Sierra, Hornady, Nosler etc. Their bullets are so consistent that if a given bullet weighs-in at more than one grain or so "off" its nominal weight, then investigation of the scale is needed.

Incidentally, my scale lives under an eight-foot double-tube fluorescent light at a distance of about three feet from the tubes, and performs just fine. This does NOT mean that all other electronic scales will do likewise.

Char-Gar
06-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Bruce..Heck yea! I want one

fiberoptik
06-28-2005, 02:51 AM
Count me in also.