PDA

View Full Version : girl friends PT-140

Phat Man Mike
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
well my girlfriends PT-140 pro hates C/B .:groner: I've cleaned the barrel really good with hopes # 9 ran clean patches bore is shinny clean , then shoot a few .401 cast lubed and sized C/B and there it is lead fouling!:holysheep I think it's want J word loads! [smilie=b:

mike in co
11-20-2009, 03:01 PM
how big is the bbl and how fast are you shooting them ? whats the alloy? water dropped ?
mike in co

Phat Man Mike
11-20-2009, 03:32 PM
ok the boolits are W/W water dropped and in front of 4.4 gr of titegroup! the barrel is 3.25 long also..:roll::coffee:

AZ-Stew
11-20-2009, 03:54 PM
He meant groove diameter of the barrel versus the OD of the boolits. If the boolits are too small, you'll get gas blow-by and leading. Your boolits should be .001 - .002 larger than groove diameter. Slug the bore and size your boolits accordingly.

Regards,

Stew

Phat Man Mike
11-20-2009, 06:05 PM
well I just slugged the barrel![smilie=b::groner: from the chart that I seen it's a .401 groove dia. guess it time for a .402 sizer for me!! fricking pistol has less then 300 rounds threw the barrel.. :killingpc

AZ-Stew
11-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Don't worry. It's not premature wear. I would expect a .40 to have a .401 barrel. Can you lube some as-cast boolits and try them, or does your mould cast them too large? If they cast at .402 - .403 , load some up and shoot them.

Regards,

Stew

sleeper1428
11-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I've had just the opposite experience with my Taurus PT-140 Millenium Pro. It seems to love cast boolits, sized .401 and lubed with 50/50. My alloy is 2/6/92 with a BH of between 16-18 and my castings are AC. While I cast three or four different boolits for my 40's and 10mm, the most common ones that I use in the PT-140 are a 175gr FN (Lyman 38/40 mould), a 175gr SWC (SAECO) and a 175gr TC (SAECO) and each of these are loaded over 6.5gr of AA#5. I must admit that I haven't slugged the barrel on this particular handgun but since it works so well with boolits sized to .401 and there appears to be little or no leading, slugging the barrel isn't high on my list of priorities. I'm looking forward to trying some of my new MiHec 160gr HPs in both this handgun as well as my Glock 22 and I'm planning on sizing them at .401 to start out. May be that the Taurus company has a minor problem with quality control in regard to maintaining proper bore specs.

sleeper1428

monadnock#5
11-21-2009, 12:44 PM
You don't say what make sizer die you're using sleeper, but if it's a Lyman die, I'm sure it's much closer to .402 than it is to .401.

I guess that I disagree with Beagle (this from another thread). I don't think that they do it by mistake, or because they don't know how to operate their machinery. I think they're trying to help us out because they think we're dumb, and wouldn't know one end of a mic from the other, even if someone gave one to us.

sleeper1428
11-21-2009, 01:29 PM
You don't say what make sizer die you're using sleeper, but if it's a Lyman die, I'm sure it's much closer to .402 than it is to .401.

I guess that I disagree with Beagle (this from another thread). I don't think that they do it by mistake, or because they don't know how to operate their machinery. I think they're trying to help us out because they think we're dumb, and wouldn't know one end of a mic from the other, even if someone gave one to us.

I didn't realize that Lyman sizes their dies a bit larger than advertised. Not having a set of pin gauges I can't confirm the diameter but I will say that I actually have two 40 cal dies, one is a Lyman and is used for the one PB boolit that I use, specifically the old Lyman 38/40 FN, while the other is an RCBS for which I turned a custom punch to conform to the BB of my SAECO and Lee boolits. Both are marked as .401 and I've had no leading problems with boolits sized in either die. Both of these dies were purchased around 20 years ago so things may have changed since then in regard to how Lyman sizes its dies. I've mic'd boolits from both dies and they are right on at .401 so I think that at the time I purchased them, both companies were adhering to the stated diameters.

You're probably right about the reason behind Lyman sizing their dies larger than advertised. Seems that when a company or administration gets to a certain size or gains a certain amount of power, they invariably begin to think that they know better than anyone else how things ought to be done and they begin doing things that, to them at least, are for the 'good of the people' since those people just couldn't possibly know how to do things properly. Hey, that's what the Obamination's administration is doing, isn't it, so why shouldn't Lyman follow suit.

sleeper1428

Phat Man Mike
11-23-2009, 09:49 PM

my sizer is a Lee one!and it make them .401 on the money! I'm going to cast some this week and try find some that are .402/.403 load and shoot them and check for fouling:groner:[smilie=b: