PDA

View Full Version : .22 Hornet Neck Sizing

ohiochuck
11-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Anyone using a neck sizing die with bushings when loading for the .22 Hornet with cast boolits? Have you found this to aid accuracy and case life?
Thanks!

BABore
11-20-2009, 02:14 PM
I was using a Lee collet neck size die, but went back to a backed off RCBS FL size die. The Lee wasn't giving good enough neck tension. A bushing die would be a good investment.

yondering
11-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I also use a RCBS FL die backed off.
A bushing die might be nice if you can afford the extra $$$, but the FL die is giving me excellent accuracy.

StarMetal
11-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I use the Lee collet neck sizer and get better then just amazing accuracy. I modified my die some and have no problem with neck tension except with the .223 diameter jacketed. Everything else has tight tension. I haven't lost any brass either to neck splits or head separation.

Joe

HORNET
11-20-2009, 03:07 PM
BA, you can polish the mandrel down a little in that collet die to increase case neck tension a bit. If you try too hard without polishing it, you'll strip out the threads on the aluminum cap. Don't ask me how I know......Try about .001 at a time. Be careful, they're very soft and cut fast.

StarMetal
11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
BA, you can polish the mandrel down a little in that collet die to increase case neck tension a bit. If you try too hard without polishing it, you'll strip out the threads on the aluminum cap. Don't ask me how I know......Try about .001 at a time. Be careful, they're very soft and cut fast.

He knows that, we discussed it on the phone one day. Also the reason you can't go more, and Lee tells you that you can only polish down so far, is because the slot in the coller close and stop the action. So you can open those slots up too...just a little.

I don't think BaBore cares for the collet dies in my opinion.

Joe

JeffinNZ
11-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I used to use a collet die with great results. Case life is good providing you don't push the loads too hard. Lil Gun powder would be my choice these days if I still had my Hornet. Max FPS with way less than max pressure.

BABore
11-20-2009, 03:38 PM
He knows that, we discussed it on the phone one day. Also the reason you can't go more, and Lee tells you that you can only polish down so far, is because the slot in the coller close and stop the action. So you can open those slots up too...just a little.

I don't think BaBore cares for the collet dies in my opinion.

Joe

Oh! He likes them just fine. Just not in this situation. Actually, he could only get a 0.224 Saeco sizing die when he ordered last time. He wanted a 0.225, but everybody was out. When he does get a 0.225 die, then he'll go back to the Lee die and see where he's at. That way he's only gotta modify and buy one die.

beagle
11-20-2009, 06:44 PM
You might try a neck sizer die from the 310 tool with a 7/8 X 14 adapter. I use one and it does right well. I have a 310 set for the Hornet but there's no reason you couldn't use the die with the adapter in a regular press.

Check the 310 Shop for these dies./beagle