PDA

View Full Version : Boolit loads for 9mm P08 luger

G- Unit
11-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I have a WWII trophy P08, I have tried Lead bullets from speer and hornady and they do not cycle the bolt. I have read that such luger require high pressure rounds to make them funtion. Does anybody have any load recomondations for boolit loads, I dont wish to invest the money into a mould, just to find out the weapon wont cycle them either.[smilie=b:

Harry O
11-20-2009, 02:03 PM
I remember reading an article about a famous Luger gunsmith some years ago. Checking the springs was the first thing he recommended, particularly the magazine spring. It has to be still. As far as a load, he recommended RN-FMJ with a still load of Red Dot. I do not remember the exact amount, but it was right at the top (and a little over in some of them) of my load manuals.

Being that they must be high power loads, a cast bullet might not work well unless you get one with a gascheck. I know that I have to download my 9mms (in other guns) to use a hard cast plain base bullet.

G- Unit
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
FMJ's work fine

StarMetal
11-20-2009, 02:35 PM
I have a 30 Luger with a six inch barrel. Apparently the 30 caliber must be different in what works in it over the 9mm models. First I haven't found a bullet that won't feed in it. Second even anemic loads work my action. The pistol by the way has new springs in it so they aren't weak or worn out. They are the same springs as go into the 9mm's. My trigger isn't so bad either. Now in regards to the statement that for high performance loads you will have to go to a gascheck bullet. That's not true. I'm blistering some loads out of my 30 caliber that are kicking on the heels of the hot 7.62x25 caliber. No problems at all, no leading. My smallest group a 75 yards was 3/4 inch. You need to just kick up your cast loads some. Lyman even tells you that some of the loads they list may not cycle a Luger.

Joe

Houndog
11-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I've got a good friend that shoots his P08 with a 124 gr. 2R heat treated boolet over a VERY stiff load of Unique. (6gr.) I DO NOT recommend such a load, but that's what it took to make it cycle properly! NONE of my reloading manuals list a load that stiff.

GBertolet
11-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I too have read, that Red Dot is the best powder for overall functioning in most 9mm lugers. As previously mentioned, magazine springs should be quite stoudt for positive functioning.

canyon-ghost
11-20-2009, 08:27 PM
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/5906.jpg

I used a TC contender and Custom shop barrel to work up a load for the Lyman 9mm Devastator hollowpoint. Here's what I found: the 9mm builds pressure dramatically from the tiny case size, the new winchester brass I used must be chamfered inside and out to cycle and expanded to seat bullets. Used an RCBS die set with expander for 9x19 thru 9x21 TC set.
Lyman New HP 125 grn #356637 637 top punch
3.2 grains of Bullseye
Winchester cases and sp primers
Carnuba Red bullet lube
Sized .355
Have a friend on CBA that used a Unique load for 9mm.
With the appropriate chamfer to make it feed, this load does a little more than cycle the action, it's decently accurate.

Ron

azrednek
11-20-2009, 08:30 PM
A now deceased friend of mine had several Lugars. Of the three Lugars he did shoot along with his collection of P-38's, Astras, 9MM Broomhandles and numerous Spanish mfd. pistols. He claimed a heavy bullet was the key for reliability. He never cast but I do recall him using store-bought cast bullets but the majority of his 9MM shooting was with jacketed bullets and WW2 surplus ammo that was still common back in the early to mid 70's. I don't recall the specific load but I do know he used Bullseye, PB and a powder made by Norma in his 9MM loads.

leadeye
11-20-2009, 08:38 PM
I've had good luck with a heavier bullet, 125 grain or more, and fast powder. Never had to push the loading to get functioning.

Rocky Raab
11-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Listen politely to all who post comments. But if Mike Venturino posts, LISTEN.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. I have an S42 WWII luger and have been shooting it for 20 years with cast bullets. The action recycles and it feeds reliably. I use 2 bullet designs; Lyman #356242-120 grain round nose and RCBS #82027-125 grain truncated cone. I keep the muzzle velocity between 900 and 1000 fps to avoid beating the gun. This range of speed is enough to cycle the action. At 25 meters off the bench the pistol will group in the 8-10 rings of an eight inch bull. The trigger pull is not so great and the luger sights you know what they look like. A lot of different powders will work well including Red Dot, Bullseye, 700X etc. Some believe that Unique is the best for the 9mm; opinions vary. You don't need real fast powder or hot rod loads to run a Luger well nor FMJ bullets for that matter. After a lot of experimenting I finally wound up with 4.7-4.8 grains of IMR 4756, not an especially whiz-bam powder, but it gets the job done for me as good as I need it done. There is a lot of info that can be searched up on this forum on loading the 9mm for the Luger and I suggest that you punch some of it up and do some more reading on what others have done, recommend and succeeded with. Good luck and good shooting. LLS

StarMetal
11-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Listen politely to all who post comments. But if Mike Venturino posts, LISTEN.

Rocky,

What does that mean? That the rest of the posters here on this issue are lying or don't know what they are talking about?

Joe