PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done to a mold????

Jeffery8mm
11-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I wish to purchase another Lee 170Gr FP GC mold [man I love that Boolit!!].
I then want to have it modified in this way...
I want one cavity to be hollowpointed and one cavity I want the gac check shank done away with so as to make a plain base out of it.
Can this be done and by whom???
Thanks
Jeff

clodhopper
11-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I wish to purchase another Lee 170Gr FP GC mold [man I love that Boolit!!].
I then want to have it modified in this way...
I want one cavity to be hollowpointed and one cavity I want the gac check shank done away with so as to make a plain base out of it.
Can this be done and by whom???
Thanks
Jeff

I would check with buckshot on this fourm.

peter nap
11-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I would check with buckshot on this fourm.

I second Buckshot. Doesn't sound like something that would be a problem.

Rickk
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
That sounds like a great idea. Let us know what you find out.

Jeffery8mm
11-20-2009, 03:04 PM
That sounds like a great idea. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks Rickk. I am shooting [ no pun intented] for a mold that I can drop target and plinking[plain base] and hunting boolits [hollow point] at the same time.

I have a pm to Buckshot and will let you know.
Jeff

DLCTEX
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
The Lee moulds in one and two cavity are a problem to hollowpoint due to the alignment pins being across the path to the nose of the boolit. You will have to get creative to get it done. If you got it in the six cavity there would be no such problem, but I don"t know if it's available in the six. Just checked and Lee doesn't offer rifle boolit moulds in six cavity.

Wally
11-20-2009, 06:10 PM
You might be better off buying a Foster hollow pointer that allows you to make HP on any bullet..I have one and it works nicely.

Jeffery8mm
11-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Tell me more about the hollow point maker!!
Jeff

Maven
11-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Jeff, This is from Forster's website. If you go there, look under case trimmers and scroll down until you see the hollow pointing tools:

"Hollow Pointer Instructions. This do-it-yourself hollow pointer is the only tool of its kind on the market. It gives precision shooters the capability of fine tuning bullet weight. This tweaking of bullet weights can improve ballistics, particularly when adjusting for different barrel twists. It also allows hunters to create their own hollow pointed rounds for increased expansion on impact from either factory ammunition or reloads. The Universal Hollow pointer drills cavities in the noses of cast or jacketed softnose bullets. After the drill is locked into the cutter shaft, a loaded cartridge is placed in the collet of the trimmer. A bushing centers the drill's tip against the nose of the bullet as the cartridge is locked in place. Hollow point depth is controlled by setting the stop collar of your trimmer. The Hollow pointer is available in either 1/8" (handgun) or 1/16" (rifle) drill sizes. Either a short or long Case Trimmer base might be necessary for very short or very long rounds, and the Hollow pointer can be used with our Case Trimmer Power Adapter. By creating your own hollow pointed rounds you'll enjoy significant economies and controllable performance because you can alter the hollow point size and depth to fit your own requirements. (1/16" in photo.)"

Rickk
11-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Interesting! I found this in a customer review at Midway:

also I did not use a forester trimmer just my hand and cordless drill at slow speed(I plan to hook it up in my mini drill press for depth uniformity.

It looks like you could just buy the hollow pointer and use it in a drill press if you had some way to hold the boolit or cartridge under the drill press?

zomby woof
11-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Like this?

I had a friend modify my mold. I took a center drill and drilled a hole in it. For any kind of quantity, there need to be a better way of centering the boolit.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/100_30121.JPG

deltaenterprizes
11-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Like this?

I had a friend modify my mold. I took a center drill and drilled a hole in it. For any kind of quantity, there need to be a better way of centering the boolit.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/100_30121.JPG

Great idea to use a center drill!

geargnasher
11-21-2009, 05:09 PM
I use a Lee case trimmer shell holder and drill press, turn the loaded cartridge against a stationary pointed bit (custom shaped drill bit clamped in a chucking vise). I made a guide to go around the pin so the boolit stays centered. A real PITA but it works.

I also have had very good luck removing the gas-check shank from lee moulds with a common drill bit. The key is to chuck the bit in a drill press, clamp the mould squarely in a block, and turn the bit (after checking runout with a dial indicator) BY HAND to gently carve out the required depth. You will want to go 2-3 thousandths over your desired boolit base size depending upon caliber.

It's really not worth spending much money on a Lee mould to get it modified, I would try to find a good Lyman or RCBS mould of similar design and have Buckshot or Erik Ohlen (hollowpointmold.com) modify the gc shank and HP.

Gear