PDA

View Full Version : Which caliber???

Hammer47
05-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I know absolutely nothing about cast bullets nor the "buffalo" shooting that I would like to try so I have a few questions to get started on the right foot. Seems like everybody uses the 45/70 Sharps type rifles. All well and good BUT is the 45/70 the best choice? Would the 40/65 or the 38/55 be a better choice? Would the 38/55 bullet not have a better BC than the other 2 given the same bullet weight? Seems a long bullet would fly better than the shorter 45 cal bullet at lets say 300 gns, or is my thinking all "fluxed" up? Regards...g

Buckshot
05-12-2006, 03:11 AM
...............Welcome to the board, and glad to have you! What kind of Buffalo shooting are we talking about? If it's target (paper or steel) and you're wanting to get away from recoil, then moving to a smaller caliber is a good way to do it. But there are limitations to that.

Probably the majority use the 45/70 because it's so common, and until the past 10 years or so cost figured into the equation. The old 45/70 does most everything it's asked to do, and does it very well. That ground has been well and truely plowed in the past 133 years. However, asked to launch heavy windbucking 500+ grain boolits can get tiresome. Especially if you're prone or at a bench.

So there was a movement to the 40 cals, and most popular there is the 40-65 since you can use 45-70 cases. Assuming the correct twist and similar boolit shapes, a 400gr 40 cal is comparable to a 500gr 45 caliber slug. At 100grs less boolit wieght there IS an advantage. But it is lighter and doesn't travel through the wind as well.

You can move down to the 38's and get a 335gr or so slug. Maybe even heavier. Gotta have the twist for it, and the cartridge capacity to send it on it's way. It also has wind issues.

If you have to knock something over, heavier is better boolitwise. You can't say one is best over another until you know what the game is, or what the shooter wants.

.................Buckshot

KCSO
05-12-2006, 09:02 AM
If you are talking about steel targets you may find that the 38-55 may not knock them down. If you are shooting paper out to 300 yards the 38-55 will do fine. I usually recommend the 45-70 just because there are so many options for this cartridge. It can be loaded with cast, with black or smokless and will make a great hunting cartridge for everything from mouse to moose. Cheap molds ,brass and dies will get you going at a reasonable cost. I had a 45-110 that was a good shooter, but the brass was 2 bucks a case the dies were 65 bucks and the ctg was not very adaptable to lighter loads. (it can be done, but is some difficult) The 40-65 can be made from 45-70 but what they shoot now has no resemblence to what the ctg was intended to be. The original bullets were 265 gr bullets that were short range deer loads and not this is a long range job with 330+ bullets. The last consideration would be re-sale if you don't like it. There are ten 45-70's sold for every one of anything else. It would be a shame to wait 11 months and pay 2500 bucks for a gun that you may or may not keep. Dip in with a 45-70 in a GOOD replica and WHEN the bug bites move up to waht you find you need.

Dale53
05-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I have a great bias in favor of the 40/65. The "modern" 40/65 uses a 16" twist barrel and handles 425 gr bullets just fine. I would like to point out that my experience is limited to no more than 600 yards. I CAN say this, at up to 600 yards, at least, the 40/65 is a superior choice (not the only choice, but a near perfect combination of knock down with lesser recoil). Dies are standard, plenty of bullet moulds, in short, there is NO down side for me.

Dale53

Hammer47
05-12-2006, 05:30 PM
What would be considered a "good" replica and I will be shooting steel. Regards...g

SharpsShooter
05-12-2006, 05:42 PM
What would be considered a "good" replica and I will be shooting steel. Regards...g

I like my 75 C. Sharps rather well. It was a bit expensive, but you buy quality one time. Uberti's and Pederosoli are well made and a bit less costly. It just comes down to what you are willing to pay.

check out

www.buffaloarms.com for some goods replica types.

bubblehead
05-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Pedersoli has a good reputation for target accuracy.

Buckshot
05-12-2006, 11:56 PM
................As suggested, Pedersoli and Uberti are good for starting out and may even carry you well into the game for quite some time. In my mind there is no real difference between them and C. Sharps or Lonestar ( for Sharps and rolling blocks) except the later 2 among others like Meacham and Ballard Rifle Co.are not really a production rifle. They run down the manufacturing process more like one off custom rifles.

Without a doubt the Badger, Green Mountain or other barrels used on many have earned a stack of wins and are fine barrels. However I do not think those produced by Perdersoli are really inferior in any way. They just make more of them, and if you read about the processes Pedersoli uses in making their barrels you might agree.

As important as the quality of the rifle is, the sights you put on can cost a goodly percentage of what the rifle cost. Repeatable accuracy, which is a byproduct of close tolerance machining and finish is what you're paying for. Since in metallic silhuette for example, you may have 3 sight changes that are required and being able to go to one with confidence costs money. Then you have windage adjustments you may have to make or come back to as conditions change.

.............Buckshot

EDK
05-21-2006, 01:22 AM
I'd get Venturino's SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST and the SPG BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE RELOADING PRIMER for starters. (Available from authors autographed also!) Also try BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE magazine. I read them over and then did what I wanted and ordered a 50/90 from Shiloh. SHILOH SHARPS is www.shilohrifle.com and they have some forums and plenty of opinions from their fans. The imports are pretty good, but the "big boys" are up the ladder on cosmetics and building it to YOUR specifications. Sights are a biggie; look up MONTANA VINTAGE ARMS and then hold your breath! I spent a chunk on MVAs plus I had the gun set up for one of the vintage style scopes they also make. I"ll probably get a 45/70 twin made for the 50 in a year or so, but I love shooting the "big 50" for the past 14 months. Whatever you get, ENJOY!

Bad Ass Wallace
05-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Nothing quite like the big 50 pushing a 650gn bullet backed by 110gn FG. If you can hold on to it, there is nothing that bucks wind like this combo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Big50_BD.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/BRc.jpg

That is a 22 Hornet beside the 650gn Paul Jones Creedmoor, for comparison

redneckdan
05-21-2006, 09:42 AM
That looks like some serious "ouch" to me.!