PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP ammo

johniv
05-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Years ago (lots o years) I bought some 45 acp ammo at a gun show, headstamped "WCC 74" . When I shot some of this (this is factory ammo , no signs of tampering, or reloading) some of the primers left the cases upon firing.
Dident shoot no more of it. Then while still working in a repair shop, a customer sent a gun in , along with a handfull of cases headstamped (you guessed it) WCC 74. These cases were bulged at the rear near the extractor groove, the cases were not reloaded as near as I could tell, and his pistol was unaltered. The pistol fired +P ammo without showing any signs of bulging cases.
Now that I have a little time on my hands I decided to pull the bullets to salvage
the bullets, about 20 rounds into this I got a round with no powder at all.
Bottom line is I just wanted everyone here to know this if you happen to find any of this stuff around , it loods like an accendent looking for a place to happen.
Also has anyone has encountered these symptoms before in factory ammo. I'm guessing that the brass is soft?? I know this stuff gets out there occasionally, and I shoot damn little factory ammo , but I thought I would put this on here and possibly save some one a problem, or learn something myself.
John

9.3X62AL
05-11-2006, 01:02 PM
You would think that defective lots of ammo would be recycled or destroyed, but some of it gets out apparently. Thanks for this information--those of us with surplus 45 ACP ammo should examine headstamps--if you have some of this WCC-74 stuff, do some random sampling like John did and see what's up.

44woody
05-18-2006, 06:45 PM
I have a bunch of the caseings do you think they could be bad I know a reloader that reloads them all the time but he has one of those big auto michines that spits out 60 or so a minute and as far as I know there has never been a problem with them 44Woody :castmine:

johniv
05-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Dont think they can ALL be bad , it may have been the powder charge. , but the slugs are all that will be fired in my guns.
John