PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand mold?

tcrocker
11-18-2009, 09:53 PM
What would be a good mold for an M1 Garand? I'm looking for somthing to use in CMP matchs. And can I use a cast boolit and still keep the elevation adjustment correct?And how good are the Criterion Barrels.

mpmarty
11-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Any cast boolit of 150 gr or more should work but are the CMP matches you are interested in fired at 100 yards on reduced targets for the longer ranges or are they actually fired at 200 300 yards etc.? Also, be careful of your loads as op rods break if the load is wrong for the Garand and that adds another potential problem. You can do it as others certainly have done so but be careful. Cast loads with fast enough powder to protect the op rod at varying distances may cause some problems with poi changes and possibly even transonic deviations.

tcrocker
11-18-2009, 10:02 PM
We do shoot out to two and three hundred yards.

Crash_Corrigan
11-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I use a 311284 from Lyman and with a dacron filler I use 4064 powder with good results. Ask Larry Gibson for particulars...he is a gem of a mentor on the M-1.

BruceB
11-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Having just bought another Garand at the Big Reno Show last weekend, I'm busy doing some preliminary loading for it.

An excellent place to start is with the "BobS Load", which is well-tested and very workable.

Bob's actual load is/was the 311284 with 42.0 H4831 and a rifle primer. I began the initiation of my rifle with the 311284 water-dropped from my new NOE mould, which averages 224.5 grains from four cavities in wheelweight alloy. Sizing diameter is .311". Charge is 41.0 grains of old H4831, and the load is sparked by a CCI #34 primer.

Over 100 rounds of the above recipe have now been fired in my "new" rifle, and I expect to fire some more tomorrow. No problems with the load, but I think I may have some faulty non-GI clips which are giving trouble in chambering the first round. NVCurmudgeon may be bringing a few different clips for trials in the morning.

Loading with cast bullets in the Garand does NOT necessarily follow the so-called "rules" as applied with jacketed bullets. The BobS load uses both a heavier bullet AND a slower powder than the jacketed-bullet "rules" permit (bullet not over 180 grains, powder not slower than 4064). As long as the chamber pressure is safe, the only area of concern is the pressure AT THE GASPORT.....and H4831 works extremely well in this role with heavy cast bullets. It does not endanger the operating rod or anything else in the rifle.

What is "correct" elevation???? I can promise that it's very unlikely to ever have a cast load shooting to the same place as a jacketed load with the same sight setting. This is what score-books and adjustable sights are for, after all....to record changes needed to arrive at the various sight settings needed for different loads, ranges and conditions. Do a search for "BobS load" to see his comments on longer-range competition with cast bullets.

Criterion barrels have a good reputation, but I've never used one.

Ekalb2000
11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Definatly search and read the BobS load, also do a search on the names BruceB and Larry Gibson. Read, read, and read some more about their loads. Then re-read it. You dont want an operationg rod stuck in your noggin.
I read for weeks before I even thought about actual assembly of any round for my M1. And once a week I still read from one of them guys that wrote about how to load cast in the M1.
I use the Lee 200gr, with GC sized to .309, homemade lube, IMR4895, and IMR4831, both with dacron filler. It cycles the action, and kicks the brass out at the 3 o'clock position. I have every bit of confidence at taking game with this at 200yrds easily.