PDA

View Full Version : Any commercial "custom" bullet casters out there?

Tom in Pittsburgh
11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
:-(

I thought I had posted this here before -- but can't find my post now? Anyway...

Well, I seem to have lost my source of custom cast bullets. I have been doing business for 15 years or more with Will Hafler up in northcentral Pennsylvania. Will did business under the name "Ammo Expertise," and I first met him at one of the big Pittsburgh gun shows -- back when they were worth going to, and not just tables of camo clothing and cheap imported ninja stuff.

Will left Pennsylvania earlier this year and relocated to Wyoming. He planned to get back into business, but -- after getting one postcard from him -- I haven't been able to raise a response from him. I hope he's OK.

In the meantime -- short of going back into casting my own -- I'm out of luck. Will had a wide variety of moulds (including some of mine), and would cast bullets in a number of alloys -- one-by-one, by hand. I generally bought mine from him in 16:1, unsized and unlubed.

The only folks I can find out there now are into the high-volume, hard-cast bullet business -- the kind where you buy boxes of 500 bullets in bulk -- cast from a machine.

Randy Moyer is an exception, but he only offers one alloy, and his mould selection is limited.

Right now I'm looking for a source of 311291 bullets that will go .314" (to feed my M1917 Enfield by Winchester -- she just wants bigger bullets). Am also interested in Lyman 311413 bullets, or -- better yet -- Belding & Mull .30 caliber Squibb bullets.

I've poked through recent Cast Bullet Association Fouling Shots looking for ads without much luck, and the bullet suppliers listed here all seem to be high-volume, hard bullet suppliers.

Any thoughts -- or tips?

TIA

Tom

http://www.vintage-gunlore.com

SciFiJim
11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Tom,
Try the Bullshop. Link is at the bottom of every page. Great source for mold lube and sells cast boolits as well. Best of all - He's one of us!

fredj338
11-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Try here, good selection & you can get some alloy variations.
http://www.montanabulletworks.com/wst_page6.html

Bullshop Junior
11-18-2009, 09:06 PM
www.bullshop.gunloads.com