PDA

View Full Version : boolit proofed my new chrony

jbunny
11-18-2009, 07:37 PM
i retired my old chrony after umteen years. the person responsible for the design
on this new model should be shot with balls made from his own ****. i have seen
a few of them ruined by hit on the guide rods. i used some 5/32 aluminum tig
welding rods that stick out about 3/4 inch and use plastic straws for guide rods.
the front deflector is 1 inch thick and it has saved my old chrony many times.
i used to have a weight and a string to pull the unit sideways to read it. now i'm gonna
try mirrors. the sunscreen is a breeze to install and remove, just drops in and lifts out
as a unit.
cheers
jb

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/chronybulletproofed.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/chronysunscreenbrackets.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/chronysunscreen.jpg

Blammer
11-18-2009, 07:43 PM
good design! I wanna know how you're gonna bullet proof the mirror? :D

45nut
11-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I use the lime green weed trimmer line, the thickest available and just loop it around instead of the rods.
I have a couple pieces of 1/2" thick plexiglas to fashion a deflector if I can find the roundtuit I lost.

Your design is certainly stout, no longer sitting atop a tripod huh? I see where the test of the deflector has already been done.

jbunny
11-18-2009, 07:57 PM
thanks 45nut. thats a very good idea. blamer, if u break my mirror, u get
to stand in the corner for 8 hrs and u get 7 years bad luck.
cheers
jb

Potsy
11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
From the look of that crater in the plate, it's already paid for itself!!

Bill*
11-18-2009, 11:18 PM
But how do you get it to the range?.....Tow it? [smilie=1:

jbunny
11-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Bill; i have a flat deck with a hihab crane comeing.:bigsmyl2:
FWIW heres a pic of my old chrony and all the sunscreen patching.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/375HHchrony.jpg
jb

BerdanIII
11-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Mein Gott! What do you normally shoot, 20mm Oerlikon?

Sensai
11-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Now that's just plain cheating!! Where's the daring, where's the adventure? :bigsmyl2:

HamGunner
11-27-2009, 03:24 PM

I did not notice the first two gas check strikes (one low on front and one on the middle section above the readout screen) or I would have stopped before the readout took a hit. I used Scotch tape over the readout to prevent powder damage, but when I got carried away with the velocity on a K-Hornet round, the checks started coming off. Something that I had not had a problem with before.

My first Chrony was an F-1 chrony like JB's red one above, took a glancing blow from a Mini-14 that I had forgotten that I had remounted the scope and not resighted in. Chrony gave me a deal for trade in. I will see if they can either repair or trade this one.

I certainly will be building a better deflector next time that is a bit stronger than mere tape. Thanks for the ideas. My next Chrony will hopefully have the remote readout located on the bench.

Mk42gunner
11-27-2009, 05:32 PM
While Chrony's are certainly an affordable and informative unit; I have never been comfortable with an expensive non target item in the line of fire; especially given that it is easiest to drop the forearm and read the display through the scope. Not that I would ever do that.:kidding:

Forester
12-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Another plus to the CED unit, the most expensive part is sitting safely on the shooting bench.

I still made some Lexan shields for mine, they would not stop a bullet but would probably do OK with a gas check, and they do fine with muzzleloader sabots.

Triggerhappy
12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Guys, guys, guys. The bullets are supposed to go through the sky screens, NOT THROUGH them.

jbunny
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
WOW!!!! did u figure this out all by yourself?:bigsmyl2:

Screwbolts
02-03-2010, 08:03 PM
My current Crony is number III :-)

jbunny
02-03-2010, 08:08 PM
i guess u don't beleave in once bit, twice shy:-P
jb

phaessler
02-03-2010, 09:18 PM
In lieu of mirrors wouldnt it pay to get the remote data display? Mine is a red one, cant remember the model but the display is corded, and makes it well back to the bench.
I am definently thinking now of constructing a similar shield. Great desing on this one Jbunny.

Pete

mcdonl
02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey... I have a dumb question... I am new to reloading, and casting... so I have never given a chronographer a thought... but... not that I have... do you place it at the target, mid way, at the gun?

Just curious.

Leroy

coyotebait
02-04-2010, 10:46 AM
mcdonl
Most of the time a chrono is placed 10-20 feet from the muzzle, close enough to read but far enough to avoid muzzle blast.
coyotebait

OutHuntn84
02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Just in front of your gun, past any anticipated muzzle flash. After you know your velocity at the barrel, your ballistic table will tell you the down range (how ever far that may be) velocity.

mcdonl
02-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks!

Frozone
02-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I place mine at the target, but I put the target 6 - 10ft out. I found that that makes it rather hard to shoot thing as long as you adjust for parallax. It's far easier to aim at a dot on the target then try to shoot between the guides.

bohica2xo
02-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Glad the only thing in the path for me is a skyscreen. Still hurts to smack one.

The worst hit I ever did was a 40mm practice grenade - got all 3 screens. Something about the sights being 7 or 8 inches above the bore centerline I guess.

A 30 cal hole in the "right" place on a skyscreen is easily fixed with a piece of duct tape.

Nice armor job on the chrony!

B.

dddddmorgan
02-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I like the idea of the deflector plate. I'm wondering if you could make me one?

I have a remote printer for mine (might think about that instead of mirrors) so I don't have to see the display that is too far away to read, everything is right there at the shooting bench.

Let me know about the plate. Thanks

jbunny
02-06-2010, 12:42 PM
i could, however just print the pic on my deflecter and take it to a local welding
shop or if u have a freind that has a welder and make one. the freight saveings
would more than pay to have one made localy
jb

dddddmorgan
02-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Good point jb. I see after looking at the pics again you have an entire support system made up and I imagine that would be pretty heavy.

Good idea on the pics, will print and see what I can get out of one of the locals here.