PDA

View Full Version : off topic, Dating Remington 7 1/2 primers?

BD
04-23-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm asking this here as this is the most visited forum, although my reasons are off topic, (condom related). I started into loading for high-power with my AR using the 77 grain condoms. All of the relevant data was produced using Remington 7 1/2 primers, so I tried to find some. No luck at any shops within 200 miles so I put out "feelers". I have since gotten about 1,700 but of various vintages. I have a few hundred in green and orange boxes which appear pretty new, and which are distinct from the others. I also received a few hundred in white boxes with green and red triangles, and a thousand in red boxes with green and white triangles. Anyone know the "vintage" of these? Have they been consistant over the years? I'm sure some day soon it will quit snowing and I'll be able to chrony some of this stuff. But, in the meantime I'd to load some up, and I'd like to reserve the older ones for forming brass and maybe practice rounds. BD

NVcurmudgeon
04-24-2005, 02:05 AM
Best source of age information is Remington, if they are willing. Write or E-mail them the lot numbers on your primer boxes.

beagle
04-24-2005, 11:15 PM
I just went through about 20,000 "vintage" primers this year. Herters, Hodgdon, Vita, WW, Remington, CCI. All of these were in boxes (for the most part) without zip codes.

I beleive that I had a failure to fire on only 5 or 6 CCI small pistol primers.

The Remingtons were in trays that had the paper wrapped around them. Most of these were Large Pistol and they kicked off many rounds of stuff that should have required Large Rifle primers.

Guess what I'm trying to say here is long as they have been stored orrectly, they should be fine.

My oldest loaded primers were in .30/30 cases primed in 1966 with CCI Large Rifle cases. Stored in dad's hot attic in NC and were resurected and fired in a Contender .30/30 around 1999 or 2000. 300 rounds and not a missfire.

I'm really impressed with the quality of primers the companies make./beagle

StarMetal
04-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Beagle,

A friend up in Ohio gave my a bunch of CCI primers, very old ones in the white pack with the letters CCI if I remember correctly in colored diamonds...anyway these were stored in a garage, a separate one from the house, unheated and that part of Ohio is damp. They all fired, I was amazed.

Joe