PDA

View Full Version : Some bad news

Johnch
05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
I hit 6 tire stores tonight that I normaly can get WW at .
All stated they were currently SELLING all used WW to a scrap dealer .
Where they used to give them to anyone that ask .

A manager stated " with the current high price for lead , the scrap dealer sends a truck out 1 time a week to pick up the used WW"

I did get 80 or so lb .
From a clerk that said , The manger can't sell what isn't here .
In a pissed off tone .

I am going to ask next time how much they are getting , maybe we can haggle .

I was told I have 2 - 5 gallon buckets waiting for me at the truck place .
Each 5 gallon bucket will cost me a 12 pack of beer :drinks:

Johnch

Buckshot
05-11-2006, 02:55 AM
...............Yup, sounds like it's time to become a missionary to the heathen wheel weight, and pull all of'em ya can get into the fold. :-)

.................Buckshot

Ranch Dog
05-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Are you guys as bad as me... If I see a WW laying in the road, I will stop and pick it up!

krag35
05-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Are you guys as bad as me... If I see a WW laying in the road, I will stop and pick it up!

When my kids used to walk to school, they would pick up WW they found and bring them home for me :-)

Russ

Linstrum
05-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Yeah, that sad day is rapidly approaching where lead in any form will no longer be available except to those who have a government permit to own it along with a government approved use for it to justify the permit.

HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT

Or those who have stockpiled tons and tons and tons - - - and more tons - - - of the stuff. I have also stockpiled once-fired brass by the 55-gallon barrel-full over the years, mostly 9mm, .38 Spl- .357 Mag, .45 ACP, .30-06, .308, and .223, since those are the most popular calibers besides what was available by the barrel-full.

sundog
05-11-2006, 09:28 AM
If you are fortunate enough to have a range on your own property, with a berm, your boolits are fully recycleable whenever you take a notion. I've never done mine, but I suspect that I will hit a mother lode when I do. sundog

Old Ironsights
05-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, that sad day is rapidly approaching where lead in any form will no longer be available except to those who have a government permit to own it along with a government approved use for it to justify the permit.

HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT

The shooting will begin long before that.[smilie=b:

felix
05-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Sundog, hopefully with the amounts we have stored up there will be no need ever to mine the back yard. If there is going to be a law against shooting, then who would care anyway? As long we have ammo already loaded up for such a circumstance. ... felix

azrednek
05-12-2006, 01:54 AM
I saw a report on TV today saying the cost to the government to make pennys and nickels exceeds the worth of the coins. The news reporter said something about the escalating cost of all metal especially zinc and copper and something about China paying top prices. I'm just speculating but I imagine China is also buying up lead, driving up prices.

MacGregor
05-12-2006, 07:03 AM
actually, i heard it was russia buying up the lead

meldrimgunsmith
06-11-2006, 02:30 AM
man am I glad the old timer who sold me all his reloading stuff included 2100 lbs of ingots :)

Bad Ass Wallace
06-11-2006, 08:41 AM
I got asked to cast about 500 x 420gn boolits for a friend who has just bought his first 45/70.
Called in today cos he said he had some lead there for the "CAST". Gave me 500lbs of cable sheathing and 200lbs of printers linotype.
"Are you sure that will be enough to make a couple of hundred bullets? If so, you can have what's left over!:-D :-D "

RayinNH
06-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Bad Ass, If I were you I would offer to cast for this friend more often. Just tell him to supply the material. :-D ...Ray

buck1
06-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I think I can shoot all I want , and the family will have to have the excess of lead hauled off when I meet my maker. A very loooong time from now!......Buck

Four Fingers of Death
06-13-2006, 01:37 AM
Krag, my second eldest was a quiet kid who never missed a trick, he was so observant. A week wouldn't go by when he didn't bring at least one wheelweight home. At one stage I asked him if he wasn't pulling then off wheels, but he promised me that he didn't.

I heard that China was buying up so much diesel that they were fou\rcing the prices up world wide. You probably find that China, India and russia are consuming materials at a prodigious rate and causing shortages. The Western world is consuming like never before, where's it all gonna end? Mick.

Bigjohn
06-13-2006, 02:38 AM
I got asked to cast about 500 x 420gn boolits for a friend who has just bought his first 45/70.
Called in today cos he said he had some lead there for the "CAST". Gave me 500lbs of cable sheathing and 200lbs of printers linotype.
"Are you sure that will be enough to make a couple of hundred bullets? If so, you can have what's left over!:-D :-D "

BAW, I reckon I could cast the required boolits out of the material supplied [smilie=1: Don't know if there would be much metal left in the pot after I finished.

In light of the current situation of obtaining enough wheelweights for projectiles, I may have to start looking for ones which are loose on the wheels and follow them around until it falls off. :kidding:

Still, while I can mine the range for metal and slip a 'slab' of brown bottles to the plumber for his roof flashing etc, I think I'll get by. I just hope the guberment don't ban casting. (Note: I have NEVER voted for Johnny).:(

Four Fingers of Death
06-13-2006, 03:23 AM

I have found with these big orders that if you do about 150 and tell him to let you know when he wants the rest, being a typical shooter he will sell the rifle and wander off. :-) Mick.

hunter64
06-15-2006, 12:16 PM
You just need to hit a Costco parking lot on a saturday afternoon, stay low and work fast. LOL

lawboy
06-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Join a local indoor bullseye club. You can get all the free lead you can stand out of the bullet trap. I coul smelt 2,000lbs of lead every month if I wanted to and it would only cost me the propane for my burner. I didn't know how good I had it until I read this thread!