PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Marvin S
11-17-2009, 07:52 PM
My house was broken into today. Luckily all I see missing so far is my laptop. I used it for my taxes, Ebay ect. I am not a computer geek so I don't know what all a person can get off of it. I did call my credit card company to get a new card. Other than that what should I do? I was still logged into Ebay and this web site and maybe a couple of other boards. I'm down to using my I-touch now. Thanks

Catshooter
11-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Did your tax forms have your social security number on them? Mine do. I'd call the SS people to see what to do.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Cat

Blammer
11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
yea, call and cancel your SSN, if you're lucky they won't give you another one... :)

I'd check my bank accounts regular like and maybe call them and have them change any passwords or anything that could be used.

HollandNut
11-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Was the laptop closed , I think most lock automatically when they're closed , maybe some good there ..

Marvin S
11-17-2009, 09:26 PM
It was not closed but I would think they would have closed it when taking it. This is the fourth time I have been hit in the last few years. One time they cleaned out about four thousand dollars in reloading gear,guns and other items. Since then I had bought a second gun safe.

AZ-Stew
11-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Call all three credit reporting agencies and have them set your credit so no one can start a new credit account without verification. There's a name for this, but I can't remember what it is right now. Will edit this post if my wife finds it. Regardless, the credit agencies will know.

Regards,

Stew

markinalpine
11-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Call all three credit reporting agencies and have them set your credit so no one can start a new credit account without verification. There's a name for this, but I can't remember what it is right now. Will edit this post if my wife finds it. Regardless, the credit agencies will know.

Regards,

Stew

I believe it's called a Fraud Alert. Contact one and they'll notify the other two. I did this when the VA lost all our SSN's a couple of years ago.

Good Luck,
Mark :coffeecom

Bob Krack
11-18-2009, 08:38 AM
E-Bay, my bank, my credit card companies all require me to log in again should I leave the connection for any length of time (even without logging out).

Most other sites accept my "remembered" passwords.

PayPal, GunPal, and SOME of my credit cards USUALLY will not accept shipments to addresses other than my registered address.

Like Stew mentioned, contact all three credit reporting agencies. All credit cards should be stopped and new ones obtained ---
(or cut into little pieces:mrgreen:)

Good luck!

Bob

Ricochet
11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
If you'd installed Lojack for Laptops ( http://lojackforlaptops.com/ ), you'd have several levels of protection depending on what you paid for. At the most basic level, if you report it stolen they'll know whenever someone manages to get logged on. It'll silently report its current IP address to them, which can be used to determine the physical location of the computer in many cases, and it sends a picture of the user to them if you have a webcam. They'll report it to the police, who may or may not be interested. If you pay for a higher level of protection, they can remotely wipe all data off of your hard drive and may be able to disable the computer.

pjh421
11-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks Ricochet. I need to do that.

Paul