PDA

View Full Version : is lyman #2 the bomb for 45-70?

acsteve
11-17-2009, 07:16 PM
have been shooting WW but just ordered some rotometals lyman #2, Is lyman #2 the best alloy for XLR at 1500-1700ft/s? Opinions needed. I do have some lino, pure lead and BH-12 mixed lead. Ranch dog 350 gr

rob45
11-17-2009, 07:41 PM
It depends on what your requirements are.

No.2 is a very forgiving alloy; it is easy to work with and provides good utility.
Due to high tin content, the No.2 will fill out the TL grooves on your RD350 quite nicely. It will be very easy to make good boolits without having to "play around" with varying temps.

The WW is favored due to low cost; it can be just as versatile (maybe even more so), but usually requires a minor amount of "tinkering".

The general order is to use as soft as possible with any given load while preventing leading. Bullet fit is very important; make sure that is right before worrying about hardness. Powder selection also has an effect, because the same velocity can be obtained under different pressure parameters.

Like everything else, experimentation is necessary to find what works best for you. I have over a thousand pounds of Lyman No.2, but no longer use it as much because I also have more economical stuff that I can get to work just as well.

Good luck.:smile:

missionary5155
11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
+ to what rob45 said. FIT IS EVERYTHING !
I always #1 slug the throat area of any rifle. I look at sizing or casting .001 over throat diameter. If that does not work maybe another .001 oversize. If the throat is rough or oval shaped I go the .002 from start.
50/50 (ww - lead) takes care of most presure to 1600 fps. You can always just start with WW if that is all you have. If WW will not fill out the mold with a HOT mix I can always add a miserly bit of tin. WW will surprise you how much pressure it will take. Then add a Gas Check and it will really take a hard slap in the rear. BUT it may also shatter hitting a hard object like a shoulder bone and there will be hardly any expansion. Water drop WW and it will go FAST with a GC but shatter on contact with tough stuff.
So Application & Pressure become the guidelines. Hunting I use 50/50 if it will shoot descent one shot no matter if it leads a bit at muzzle. I never have needed a second shot in the river bottoms I hunt in. Ranges are under 50 yards. So I load to 1800 fps and there is no much challenge to it. Last deer I gun shot was 21 yards away. Farthest was a wopping 35 yards. Closest was cinged in the ribs with black powder.