PDA

View Full Version : antique rifle load

Beekeeper
11-17-2009, 11:35 AM
In all honesty I have read all I could find about these rifles including what little I could find in a couple of black powder books.

I have a 577 snider short rifle!
It came from the Nepal cache and I have spent several months restoring it
The barrel slugs out to 580 and a .600 round ball from a lee mould seems to be the best boolit for it.
It is definately a black powder rifle and my knowledge of black powder and its holy grail could be put in a humming birds brain and he would fly upside down and backwards.
That said I want to take the plunge and fire this weapon at least once to say it belched fire one more time.

Has anyone here ever loaded for one of these rifles?
Know of a load that would be safe for one.
I talked to a black powder shooter at the range yesterday who said just fill the case with 2F , compress it .100 thousands, seat the ball and fire it.
Ain't so sure that is safe!! Having never shot black powder( being a smokeless shooter all my life) the idea of filling a case and compressing it just doesn't sit right.
I need help from anyone who is willing to help.
Thanks in advance.

Jim

badgeredd
11-17-2009, 12:03 PM
In all honesty I have read all I could find about these rifles including what little I could find in a couple of black powder books.

I have a 577 snider short rifle!
It came from the Nepal cache and I have spent several months restoring it
The barrel slugs out to 580 and a .600 round ball from a lee mould seems to be the best boolit for it.
It is definately a black powder rifle and my knowledge of black powder and its holy grail could be put in a humming birds brain and he would fly upside down and backwards.
That said I want to take the plunge and fire this weapon at least once to say it belched fire one more time.

Has anyone here ever loaded for one of these rifles?
Know of a load that would be safe for one.
I talked to a black powder shooter at the range yesterday who said just fill the case with 2F , compress it .100 thousands, seat the ball and fire it.
Ain't so sure that is safe!! Having never shot black powder( being a smokeless shooter all my life) the idea of filling a case and compressing it just doesn't sit right.
I need help from anyone who is willing to help.
Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim,

I believe you'll find that Buckshot here on the forum will be a good man to talk to about your rifle. He likely has some smokeless loads that would also be helpful. And yes, it is routine to compress BP to ensure you have no airspace in the cartridge. As to loads, I haven't a clue what is right for the 577, but again Buckshot should be helpful.

Edd

runfiverun
11-17-2009, 12:14 PM
i think buckshot has one of these also.
but the case full of b/p is the way to go,if you try it with b/p.
no airspace.

45 2.1
11-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Ross Seyfried wrote an article in either Handloader or Rifle on this before leaving there. Dang good article.

AkMike
11-17-2009, 04:05 PM
While not wanting to detract from the wealth of knowledge here I'd suggest you go to the
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/
and start the learning curve on this rifle. Sniders are fun!

markinalpine
11-17-2009, 07:39 PM
You might also try this article: http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles2008/loadingforthemartinihenry/index.asp

Good luck
Mark :coffeecom