PDA

View Full Version : supply an demand

kbstenberg
11-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Another general information question for the more experienced casters.
If you know on a yearly basis you load an shoot 1000 boolits ( just for round numbers) How Meany cast boolits do you keep sized an lubed, an how Meany do you keep as cast just in storage?

lwknight
11-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I generally size and lube what I will use in the near future.
I guess I will quit casting and hoarding lead when I run out of storage room.
Ammo boxes are great to keep boolits in.

JSnover
11-16-2009, 09:35 PM
I normally have about 200 on hand but I don't lube them until I'm ready to load.

targetshootr
11-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Because it's fun to cast I usually have thousands on hand.

Edubya
11-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Another general information question for the more experienced casters.
If you know on a yearly basis you load an shoot 1000 boolits ( just for round numbers) How Meany cast boolits do you keep sized an lubed, an how Meany do you keep as cast just in storage?
I don't worry about the number of boolits that I have on stock. I worry about the future of lead WWs. I usually will have anywhere from 400 to 800 lbs of ingots and when I cast, I'll stop when I'm tired. I have over 4,000 heads made up (about a thousand in each caliber that I cast for). I shoot a lot more than a thousand per year though.
I cast for about three hours at a time. That is not set in concrete, but when I'm too tired to pay attention to what I'm doing, it's time to stop.
There are some moulds that cast smoother than others and in this three hours I might cast 1,000 or I might cast 2,000.
The economy of heating the alloy and/or letting that heat cool down is a motivation. Once I get it started, I don't want ot stop until I have used up either my energy , the ingots or the gas. My electric smelters wear me out.
EW

sargenv
11-16-2009, 09:52 PM
In years past I've fired as many as 15,000 rounds in one caliber. I currently have zero cast for the caliber I am going to shoot the majority of next year and soon will likely have a few thousand. I will likely cast as much as I can for a full season (at least 10k boolits) so that when I get close to the major competitions, all I need worry about is to actually load them as opposed to cast, lube, size, etc..

I currently have about 4k of the caliber I was using this season cast, sized, and lubed in case I feel like shooting that caliber later on. I like being prepared..

Bullshop
11-16-2009, 10:09 PM
I like to have 1,000,000.00 on hand at any given time.

I have never done it but I like to.
BIC/BS

Shiloh
11-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I just cast a little over a pot full of LEE .38 cal 148 gr TLWC. I'll top off the pot and cast up the rest this week. I figure this will give me about 1250-1350 boolits.

I just acquired an additional 600 WSP primers, so I'll load up 600 rounds. The baance of the boolits will be Tumble Lubed and stored .

I don't know how many rounds of .38 wad-cutter fit in a 3 lb coffee can, but I shot up almost two of them this year. Then there are the other calibers I cast load and shoot. I like having a good supply of loaded ammo on hand.

Shiloh

Digger
11-16-2009, 10:16 PM
1,000,000.00($) ? .........me too !!...

mooman76
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I just cast until I get tired of casting. Some times you get in the zone and hate to quit. I probably have too many bullets of one type and not enought of another but thats the great thing about lead. You can just recast what you got. I was lubing them all too but got tied of getting that far ahead so I just lube enough for a few loading sessions or more if I feel I need them.

jonk
11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I genreally cast mainly for my upcoming session and load the same day. If I feel like it I'll cast some extra but never more than 1-200 really sitting around.

dale2242
11-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I cast a coffee can full a boolits when I have the gear down. I inspect and store them unlubed. When I have the time to size/lube, I will do a lot of them. I am shooting boolits that have been cast, sized and lubed 20 yrs ago....dale

badgeredd
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
One thing to keep in mind, is that the more you cast up and put into storage, the better it'll be for aging your castings. A friend here says that the longer storage times improve the boolits. I have to agree, particularly with rifle boolits.

I have a few thousand just sitting in storge but I cast at least once a week for a couple hours at a time. I likely shoot less than a thousand a year, but I like having them sitting on the shelf Justin Case.

Edd

imashooter2
11-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I cast several thousands each of the boolits used in my competiton guns over the winter. I'll also load at least one .50 cal can full for each caliber over the winter. The rest get lubed and loaded as the ammo cans empty over the rest of the year. Come the next winter, boolit stores are depleted and the cycle starts again.

I try never to be in a "have to cast" situation.

sqlbullet
11-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I cast for relaxation as much as anything, so I always have lots on hand. Presently I have probably about 5,000 on hand for my guns.

I kinda stopped there, and have been casting for friends since recently.

GLynn41
11-17-2009, 06:23 PM
I kinda cast as I shoot to a point --when I get a new mold I usually run a bunch or if I am sharing --other wise as needed PRN

fredj338
11-17-2009, 06:46 PM
It depends on what I am casting for but rarely do more than 1000 at a time. When I was competing & shooting 2K/m, I actually stopped casting & bought commercial. Working, reloading, shooting & kids soccer & stuff, just wasn't enough time.

dragonrider
11-17-2009, 08:14 PM
I keep a few hundred cast but I don't normaly lube until I am going to load. Just cause it's cleaner. Less messy.

JIMinPHX
11-17-2009, 09:36 PM
I usually try to cast about a 6-month supply of a particular boolit once I fire up the pot. Sometimes I do less that that if the mold starts acting up or if it seems like it needs lube.

I usually lube just what I am going to load or a few extras, but sometimes I lube up about a months supply if I think I am going to load that caliber again soon.

I keep plenty of material on hand. That way I can turn it into what ever caliber I end up using the most.