PDA

View Full Version : Stay with 9mm or move on to 40 S&W?

rwt101
11-15-2009, 06:51 PM
I now load for 9x19 luger and 9x18 Makarov. I have 2 pistols for the Mak round and a pistol and a rifle for the 9x19 Lugar. I am considering another pistol. I was looking at the 40 S&W. Don't know if it is worth it to move to the 40. Just would like some opinions.
Thanks
Bob T

Blammer
11-15-2009, 06:53 PM
plan on casting for the 40? what type of gun? if it's a glock you'll need to get another barrel.

rwt101
11-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes I would be casting for the 40. I don't think it will be a Glock. I would have to get a mold and sizing die. Powder and primers are the same.
Bob T

Recluse
11-15-2009, 07:16 PM
I keep trying to warm up to the 40S&W, but I just haven't been able to. I like my 9mm and .45's, and have never been a huge fan of compromising "attributes of both" to arrive at a midway point.

But with that said, I'll probably end up breaking down and getting a 40S&W in the near future, just to have one. For sure, it won't be a Glock, however. The Glock 40 is one of the most uncomfortable shooting guns I've ever fired.

:coffee:

StarMetal
11-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Go for the gusto, drive the big block 45 acp.

Joe

Trifocals
11-15-2009, 07:32 PM
If the .40 will be for defensive purposes, I would endorse it. The FBI and a plethora of other law enforcement agencies use the .40. I have a Glock .40 but have changed out it's barrel to handle cast boolits. A bigger, heavier boolit is always better for defensive purposes. Our military made the big mistake of going from the .45 to the 9mm. Our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have no love for the 9mm. They are finding the 9mm inadequate as a stopper and are doing whatever they can to get their hands on as many .45's as they can. However if your purpose for obtaining a .40 is to have a new/different caliber to play with....why not go for it? LOL

billyb
11-15-2009, 07:34 PM
the 40 S$W is agood round. I have a model 22 glock with a storm lake barrel and aS&E 99. Thw 99 is a fun gun to shoot. I like to shoot the 40 S&W, but I shoot the 45acp more than any of the nine's or 40's that I own. There is just something about the 1911! Bill

JIMinPHX
11-15-2009, 07:42 PM
It depends on what you plan to be shooting at. If the 9-iron knocks down everything that you point it at, then stay put. If you want something with a little more authority, then step up a notch or two. I've always been a .45 man myself, but that .40 is a pretty snappy round too. It's not to be underestimated.

rwt101
11-15-2009, 08:01 PM
The 9mm does knock down everything I point it at. I just thought going a little bigger would be nice. But as I said I would have to get some more equipment to reload the 40.
Bob T

StarMetal
11-15-2009, 08:07 PM
The next step up from the 9mm Luger is the 38 Super. I'd say the 9x23, but it's a little too different and harder to get stuff for. You may, depending on brand of pistol you have, just swap out the barrel to a 38 Super. Do remember that the German's slayed lots of people with their puny little 9mm as did many other countries. If it wasn't such a good round it wouldn't be with us yet today and in the mainstream.

Out military is never satisfied with any caliber rifle or pistol. They find all kind of excuses to state their claims.

Joe

2ndAmendmentNut
11-15-2009, 08:11 PM
What about a 357sig? That is still technically a 9mm boolit, and same primer and same powder. I am with the other guys when it comes to autos I like my 9s and my 45s. Nothing wrong with a 40 though, and brass is every where. I love the 1911s and the XD(M)s.

crabo
11-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I would go 45 acp. I think that is about a cast friendly as you can get in an auto pistol. A big plus is when you go to pick up the brass. Easier to find and easier to pick up.

Plus it has some great authority when it hits.

mike in co
11-15-2009, 08:15 PM
i think i'd skip the 40 and go to the 45acp...........

nothing wrong with a 40, but if you already have a 9, step up, and in real steps..not little steps.

you can load the 9 to the bottom of the 40, and the 45 down to the top of the 40, so while the 40 is good, more flexibility in the 45( with the 9's that you have).

my para gi expert( a basic 1911) was less than 600, and i think you can get a cz 97b for around 500.

just options..

mike in co

a note: in the 9mm/40 s&w.....you are in one frame size(medium). if you go 45 or 9x23, 38super...you have moved up to large frame...hand size is something to consider.

Lucky Joe
11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Personally I like the .45 ACP and if I could only have one that would be the ticket. Don't have a .40, also because I think it is a compromise, although I do think it is a good round, I prefer the 9mm and the .45 ACP. I shoot my 9's a lot more. I have a G19 Glock and a Sig. 226 and I just got a 150 gr. mould for the Sig. Haven't cast yet but there should be some thump to offer.

jhrosier
11-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I went with the .40S&W a few years ago with no regrets.
I never had much luck with accuracy with the 9mm anyhow.
I see the .40 as having enough power for self defense, for practical purposes.
My Sig mags hold half again as many shots as my 1911 mags.
Brass is essentially free. There are so many folks shooting the .40 and leaving the brass on the ground that it is hard not to come home with twice as much as you started.

The only downside to the 40 is that it is a fairly high pressure load in its' normal loadings and there is not much room for error or experimenting.

Jack

MT Gianni
11-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Brass is cheap for a 40, sometimes it is at a giveaway price. I don't own one but the one's I have shot are nice. They are available as compact as they come or a full size as is a 45.

Ricochet
11-15-2009, 11:47 PM
I've shot .45s for years, and fairly recently got into 9mms. The last thing I need is yet another caliber to load and chase brass for!

rwt101
11-15-2009, 11:55 PM
I've shot .45s for years, and fairly recently got into 9mms. The last thing I need is yet another caliber to load and chase brass for!

That is what I am also looking at. But it is real tempting. I just saw range brass in 40 for 39.00 a 1000. I have powder and some primers. I would still need dies for about 55.00 and sizing die about 25.00. Andthen the mold to cast the bullets. Hmm. Oh yea I suppose the pistol would be good too.
Bob T

Bret4207
11-16-2009, 08:16 AM
I'd sell the 9's and get some 40's, 10mm's and 45's. Try the EAA Witness or CZ70. Much nice than a
Glock IMO.

mike in co
11-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I'd sell the 9's and get some 40's, 10mm's and 45's. Try the EAA Witness or CZ70. Much nice than a
Glock IMO.

bret, cz70 is a 7,65 acp. were you thinking 75 ? (9mm/40sw) or 97 (45acp)

mike in co

clodhopper
11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Three diffirent 40's have passed through my hands in the past 15 years.

The 1911 has stayed for 18 years. It's a keeper!

SharpsShooter
11-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I thought a 40 was what Obama drank on Saturday nights. Go with the 1911. I've had / carried one for 25 years and it just keeps going

SS

Tom308
11-16-2009, 03:52 PM
My last duty weapons were a Sig 228 and a H&K MP-5 SD. Both in 9mm. The one I used for about 16 years was a S&W mod 66 .357 mag. With today's bullets it doesn't really matter that much. When the older hollow points were in use, I preferred the .45 acp. I can miss with anything. For personal defense it would depend on my surroundings. For general use, I'd stay with the 9mm. If the gun is only for the house or car, I'd go with bigger (.40). What ever you decide to get, make sure you get the best available ammunition. I like Speer gold dot HP and the old Winchester silver tip HP in 9mm. I don't have and have never fired a .40.
I hope this helps.
Tom

rwt101
11-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Well I decided to -----------------------stay with the 9mm. I ordered a S&W SW9VE. $330.00 shipped and a $50.00 rebate from S&W. So $280.00 plus my FFL charges me $25.00 for the background check and for receiving it. So $305.00 total. That is not a bad price.

I would have gone with 40, but I would have bought all thextra items to reload.

I appreciate all the replies.
Bob T

Bret4207
11-17-2009, 08:11 AM
bret, cz70 is a 7,65 acp. were you thinking 75 ? (9mm/40sw) or 97 (45acp)

mike in co

Yup. Dang all those different numbers! :killingpc

Of course I wouldn't mind having a CZ70 to play with either.

Down South
11-17-2009, 08:26 AM
I have 9mm's, 40 S&W's and 45 ACP's. I'd say if you want a 40 then go for it.

The only downside to the 40 is that it is a fairly high pressure load in its' normal loadings and there is not much room for error or experimenting.

This is a true statement. Out of the three calibers I mentioned the 40 needs more attention to detail when loading. As far as brass, there is an abundance of 40 S&W brass laying around and a lot of it has been Glocked. I shoot Glocked 40 brass in my S&W's but I never load max loads.

mike in co
11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I have 9mm's, 40 S&W's and 45 ACP's. I'd say if you want a 40 then go for it.

This is a true statement. Out of the three calibers I mentioned the 40 needs more attention to detail when loading. As far as brass, there is an abundance of 40 S&W brass laying around and a lot of it has been Glocked. I shoot Glocked 40 brass in my S&W's but I never load max loads.

well here ia a take on that.
9 and 40 are both high pressure rounds. all glocks have large , in spec chambers...its what makes them feed so well. 9 amd 40 expand well in a glock....so expect that they will require extra care. like roll sizing. so 45 glocks have large chambers, so why not an issue ??? cause 45acp is half the pressure of either 9 or 40. 45 acp brass lasts forever!

as to the safety issue there is no difference in 9 or 40 both are high pressure rounds in small cases and require a good decision on powder selection. guess what ? 45 acp falls into the exact same catagory. why you ask ? powder volume to case volume !
a typical load in 45 acp is much less than 50% case volume. some 9mm/40 s&w loads do the same. the answer is very simple: select a powder that fills the case to 50% or more! this prevents double ot triple charging. quit worring about pennies and consider the value of your hand, your eyes and maybe the gun.
get some simple software, ask on here and select a powder that is volume friendly to your case. my worst case is my 45acp load which is 40%+...plenty easy to see a double charge.

( off topic, not in this line, when i do cast bpolit rifle loads...i do one powder charge, and seat the boolit.....no double charges)

mike in co

StarMetal
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
well here ia a take on that.
9 and 40 are both high pressure rounds. all glocks have large , in spec chambers...its what makes them feed so well. 9 amd 40 expand well in a glock....so expect that they will require extra care. like roll sizing. so 45 glocks have large chambers, so why not an issue ??? cause 45acp is half the pressure of either 9 or 40. 45 acp brass lasts forever!

as to the safety issue there is no difference in 9 or 40 both are high pressure rounds in small cases and require a good decision on powder selection. guess what ? 45 acp falls into the exact same catagory. why you ask ? powder volume to case volume !
a typical load in 45 acp is much less than 50% case volume. some 9mm/40 s&w loads do the same. the answer is very simple: select a powder that fills the case to 50% or more! this prevents double ot triple charging. quit worring about pennies and consider the value of your hand, your eyes and maybe the gun.
get some simple software, ask on here and select a powder that is volume friendly to your case. my worst case is my 45acp load which is 40%+...plenty easy to see a double charge.

( off topic, not in this line, when i do cast bpolit rifle loads...i do one powder charge, and seat the boolit.....no double charges)

mike in co

Mike,

You sure spread a lot of opinions and that's just what they are since you have no proof of what you are talking about here. Kinda like the stuff about Colt. First off the Glocks, Sigs, XD's, etc., are pretty much the same basic design. In fact the barrels look very close to one another and the lock up systems are the same. With that said why would Glock have to make their 40 S&W chambers larger then Sig or the other..in order to feed when like explained they are basically geometrically??? Do you have proof that current Glock chambers are larger?

You're wrong about the 45 Glocks. I have one and can tell you the chamber isn't larger then any other brand. Now tell me I have an exceptional Glock.

From what I understand the factory 40 S&W ammo is loaded to close to max. That means a reloader isn't going to improve on it much and be safe. I'd say it's much different then situation with the 9mm's.

Joe

jhrosier
11-17-2009, 07:02 PM
....As far as brass, there is an abundance of 40 S&W brass laying around and a lot of it has been Glocked. I shoot Glocked 40 brass in my S&W's but I never load max loads.

I once saw a u-tube video about sizing Glocked brass by pushing it through a Lee carbide factory crimp die with a pusher from a Lee push through boolit sizing die.

It seems like that would be a fast way to iron the 'belly' out of the head with little work. I doubt that the small amount of resizing would seriously compromise the strength of the brass, and it would be much faster to just size all of it instead of trying to sort it based on primer indents.

I'll keep my known good brass separate for full power self defense loads and load the range brass lighter for practice and plinking.

Jack

jhrosier
11-17-2009, 07:16 PM
... select a powder that is volume friendly to your case. ...

While that is certainly the right way, the cost of powder these days makes a tiny charge attractive from a cost standpoint.
I think about this every time that I handload pistol cartridges, and don't always come to the same conclusion.
Probably the best defense against a double charge is simply to never load when you are not rested and fully alert to every motion and totally free of distractions. (and never shoot anyone elses' handloads)

Jack

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-17-2009, 07:16 PM
I was on the fence about getting a 40 for a couple years. Then, Satan tempted me on another forum with a Belgian made Browning HiPower in 40 with four extra magazines. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I fell. I believe in forgiveness, and turning this experience into a plus by using it for good!

Rich

StarMetal
11-18-2009, 12:09 AM
I was on the fence about getting a 40 for a couple years. Then, Satan tempted me on another forum with a Belgian made Browning HiPower in 40 with four extra magazines. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I fell. I believe in forgiveness, and turning this experience into a plus by using it for good!

Rich

Hi Power was a good choice. Great pistol and any caliber.

Joe

Tony65x55
11-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Truth is, all three are very good cartridges and do their mission well. None of them offer much over the others and they all have similar energy levels but... With the .45 you get to lob that big hunk of lead downrange and breathe in the calibers romance. It is super simple to load for and to wring first class accuracy out of it (just never shoot it at a car tire, it shoots back!)

With the 9mm, it also has 100 years of doing its job superbly, hence the reason almost every military and most of the police services in the world use it. It is miserly of lead and powder and with a little work, produces top notch performance. Pistols like the Browning Hi-Power may represent the zenith of semi-autos and many semis are designed around the cartridge, much like the 1911 was designed around the .45 and IMHO, remains the best platform for the big .45.

The .40 S&W does its job but by most accounts, is finicky to load for and at the end of the day, doesn't really give you anything the other two don't.

I notice you load for the 9mm Mak. Now THAT is an interesting cartridge. I don't know about your experience but I have found it to be quite the overachiever, brushing against the 9mm P with outstanding accuracy. It love real boolits too.

Ricochet
11-18-2009, 11:05 AM
(just never shoot it at a car tire, it shoots back!)
True of most pistols! Be careful.

Practically speaking, I'm sure the .40 S&W is as good as any. I remember the silly 9mm vs. .45 "wars," and the .40 was brought out simply as a compromise. I've always thought of it as an unneeded answer to a question that didn't need to be asked. A barsteward cartridge.

TAWILDCATT
11-20-2009, 05:04 PM
the 40 S&W came out because the stupidity of the FBI in a gun fight.they went to 10 mm and the agents could not take he recoil,so smith came up with the 40.most explosions are with 40s.my take is to many calibers that do much the same.are there any competitive shooter using 40s.I shot the 45 for 30 yrs in bullseye.3.6 gr bullseye and 200 gr SWC.If you hit a person with it in the head even that load hes gone.I grew up when the police carried 38 S&W.we had drunks not druggies.
why add one more caliber,theres enuf shortage now.

rwt101
11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
That is why decided on staying with the 9mm. I bought a S&W Sigma SW9VE. Went to the range today and ran 50 rounds of Federal 115 gr through it first and world good. Then I ran 50 rounds of my handloads 125 gr LRN with 3.8 grs of Bullseye. Groups closed up and I did have a few that did not cycle right. I am going to up it to 4.0 Bullseye. But all in all everything worked out great.
Bob T

StarMetal
11-20-2009, 07:02 PM
the 40 S&W came out because the stupidity of the FBI in a gun fight.they went to 10 mm and the agents could not take he recoil,so smith came up with the 40.most explosions are with 40s.my take is to many calibers that do much the same.are there any competitive shooter using 40s.I shot the 45 for 30 yrs in bullseye.3.6 gr bullseye and 200 gr SWC.If you hit a person with it in the head even that load hes gone.I grew up when the police carried 38 S&W.we had drunks not druggies.
why add one more caliber,theres enuf shortage now.

The 10mm is a hot round for sure. Do you remember Federal came out with a reduced load for the 10mm for law enforcement. Guess the FBI wasn't happy with that, but I think they didn't want any agents using the "magnum" rounds.

Joe

Houndog
11-20-2009, 07:29 PM
That is why decided on staying with the 9mm. I bought a S&W Sigma SW9VE. Went to the range today and ran 50 rounds of Federal 115 gr through it first and world good. Then I ran 50 rounds of my handloads 125 gr LRN with 3.8 grs of Bullseye. Groups closed up and I did have a few that did not cycle right. I am going to up it to 4.0 Bullseye. But all in all everything worked out great.
Bob T

I've got a Sigma that was made for the Afgan police (parkerized slide, black grip frame, no light rail and triangular firing pin) that I shoot better than any other handgun I own. I shot my last State requalifying targets with it and shot 100/100 with 48X's! The best part is i've never had a jam or misfire with it! I sort of put it in the same class as a Timex watch. Nuthin fancy and ugly as sin, but it just plain works and don't break!

Phat Man Mike
11-21-2009, 01:11 AM
this is my 2 cents on the idea! buy a .40 and you'll still use S/P and just have to buy a few extra things! you get a faster boolit with almost the same knock down power as a .45acp:shock: and a I've heard of 200 gr boolit for the .40 cal :bigsmyl2: but that's my 2 cents[smilie=s::redneck:

truckmsl
11-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Forty works very well for me. Many 10's of thousands of cast rounds through my glock 23. I can load it down to feel like a 9, I can load it up to perform as well as or better than most 45 loads, all with a small package with high capacity. So called "glocked brass" sizes up and works as well as "unglocked" brass for many, many reloadings and is abundant. If I want nostalgia, I'll shoot my lever gun.

hicard
11-21-2009, 01:23 PM
I know the knock down results from the 40 have really improved since police departments went to the 40, a caliber most can shoot well. I have several and like them but as you mentioned, it is never cheap to go to another caliber conversion. I have several Colt or Colt clone 45's and personally feel it is the best self defense handgun there is.