PDA

View Full Version : not sure

batman
11-15-2009, 09:16 AM
I may have jumped the gun . I made ingots out of ww and had some float but I don't know if I have any zine in them . How would I know and how can I fix or should I just sell them to the scrap yard

44man
11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
If you kept the temperature around 600* when smelting, I would not try to melt in the floaters. Not worth the chance. You can sell them back.
Unless you have a large amount of them, maybe someone else knows better how to tell you what they are.

batman
11-15-2009, 01:50 PM
what might happen if I use them? will it hurt the molds?

DLCTEX
11-15-2009, 03:16 PM
It will not hurt the moulds or any other equipment. If the zinc is 2% or less it will cast good boolits. If more it can be removed.

mooman76
11-15-2009, 03:17 PM
It won't hurt the moulds none but I would keep it seperate from other lead as to not contaminate other lead. Us them with an MT pot or one with not much lead. Mould some and examine the bullets. if they fill out all right and are not brittle or they are the aproximate weight they should be, it should be ok.

montana_charlie
11-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Us them with an MT pot .
Where would one look to buy "an MT" pot to use when melting zinc?
CM

runfiverun
11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
if your melt was all oatmealy looking and just plain acted funny you got zinc.
you could do as suggested and melt some down and cast with it looking for the melt to just not perform correctly then either deal with it by trying to remove the zinc or by cutting the "bad" [haha]
alloy with other alloy.
or going ahead and casting with it.
zinc up to 2% can be dealt with as a normal alloy you will just have some pretty hard boolits.
but you have to run your heat up to get good results.

Hip's Ax
11-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Where would one look to buy "an MT" pot to use when melting zinc?
CM

"MT" is what welders mark on their gas cylinders when they are "empty".

11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
montana charlie,

I bought a used MT. Lee pot from a guy in Butte.

montana_charlie
11-15-2009, 06:10 PM
montana charlie,

I bought a used MT. Lee pot from a guy in Butte.
Somehow, that makes perfect sense to me.
I guess all my pots are MT pots...even the full ones.
CM