PDA

View Full Version : Favorite pictures of The Saints

bootsnthejeep
11-14-2009, 10:52 PM
So I'm looking to add some decoration to the gun room, and I'd like some nice pictures of our patron saints.

I've made no secret of my affection for Elmer and Skeeter, but decent pictures seem to be few and far between. Especially of Skeeter.

But it got me to thinking, I'm sure others have some favorite pictures of their favorite firearms mentors. What have you got?

Boots

Bent Ramrod
11-15-2009, 12:30 AM
The one of Elmer Keith I liked the best was an American Rifleman cover in the 1930's, and I think it was reprinted in one of his autobiographies. It shows him as a young man sitting on the stoop of a cabin with a tied-up coyote in his lap. The coyote does not look amused, but Elmer sure does. Keith had a flair for photography and took a lot of his own pictures for his articles.

Most of Skeeter's pictures appear to be standard magazine photos of him testing guns, holding them or writing at his desk. The one on the back of the dust jacket of Good Friends, Good Guns and Good Whiskey, of him as a younger man loading a SA Colt is probably as good a capture of the man as I've seen.

Buckshot
11-15-2009, 02:06 AM
http://www.fototime.com/ADCED85CEE07E04/standard.jpg

Jerry and Shorty are prominently displayed.

..............Buckshot

MtGun44
11-15-2009, 03:01 AM
Here is one of my 'Gun Saints'.

:drinks:

Bill

geargnasher
11-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Somebody here had a pic of a Drip-O-Matic sculpture that could have looked like a patron saint of boolits, or maybe the Creature from the Black Lagoon, depending on how many Darvocets you may have taken that day.....

My personal fave is currently our Boolit Girl "nose art" logo. Been meaning to go look and see if she is available as a poster yet or only a t-shirt.

Gear

Jim
11-15-2009, 05:26 AM
If I were to decorate my gunroom, I would surely leave room for a poster of "The Duke".

Bret4207
11-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Elmer, Skeeter, Browning, Art Savage, Phil Sharpe, Ed Crossman, Townsend Whelen, Earl Naramore, JR Mattern, Harry Pope, George Nonte, Ed McGivern, Dean Grenell.......that's just the gun guys and I missed a bunch. What about Louis L'amour, Jack London, Henry Ford, Chelsi Cummins, Edison....there's a million people that provde inspiration. That's to say nothing of the Founders, Teddy Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Chesty Puller, Howard Hughes.....

I'd need a bigger gun room.

Cactus Farmer
11-15-2009, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=Bret4207;718360]Elmer, Skeeter, Browning, Art Savage, Phil Sharpe, Ed Crossman, Townsend Whelen, Earl Naramore, JR Mattern, Harry Pope, George Nonte, Ed McGivern, Dean Grenell.......that's just the gun guys and I missed a bunch. What about Louis L'amour, Jack London, Henry Ford, Chelsi Cummins, Edison....there's a million people that provde inspiration. That's to say nothing of the Founders, Teddy Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Chesty Puller, Howard Hughes.....

A very nice list......Lyle Kilbourne,Ray Thompson,Christian Sharps,and many more could be added....

The Double D
11-15-2009, 10:53 AM
P.O. Ackley, Jeff Cooper and Frank DeHaas. Here's one I bet a lot of you don't know...Richard F. Simmons.

eka
11-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I have this one framed and hanging. Patton relieving himself in the Rhine.

MT Gianni
11-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I must have a sick sense of humor, mine shows the Barney Fife Detective agency.

longhorn
11-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Chelsi Cummins? You're gonna have to educate me a little, Bret. I know the other names, but not that one...

Buckshot
11-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Chelsi Cummins? You're gonna have to educate me a little, Bret. I know the other names, but not that one...

..............He meant Clessie Lyle Cummins. The founder of Cummins Diesel. Kinda like Arthur Caterpiller and Bertram Detroit. :-)

.................Buckshot

Bret4207
11-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Yup- Clessie, I donk speel so goot. Actually Ben Holt and Daniel Best ( they eventually combined to form Caterpillar), Jerome Increase Case and Henry (I think) Kaiser would go on my list too.

MT Gianni
11-16-2009, 12:05 PM
My wall space is limited but I would include that pic of George Washington kneeling at Valley Forge as one to inspire and impress.

AZ-Stew
11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
How did Bill Jordan get left off these lists?

Regards,

Stew

bootsnthejeep
11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh hell, I forgot Bill Jordon. The original Bill Jordon, not Mr. Realtree. There's actually some really good pictures of him in No Second Place Winner. Wish I could find some video of him shooting. Nothing on YouTube.

pmeisel
11-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Henry J. Kaiser was quite the achiever. How about Powell Crosley?