PDA

View Full Version : This Year's CB Whitetail

txbirdman
11-14-2009, 05:13 PM
This is my second year to hunt with CB's in my '06. I was using a load given to me by Larry Gibson. It's 32 gr. of H4895 behind a 311041 WDWW. Last year's buck had complete penetration this year's didn't. He was about 130 yds. away and quartering away from me. The bullet entered in front of the back rib and was on a path toward his front shoulder but it didn't make it. Apparently it fragmented making jello out of the lungs. He ran maybe 50 yds. and piled up. Eventhough it was a successful kill I'm going to start using ACWW in hopes of preventing the fragmentation.

He has a 16.5" inside spread and 6 3/4" G2"s. He was a pretty good buck but my son's seen one that much much better. He's on a mission to take him if possible. As for me I'm out to get a doe with a handgun next.

Gee_Wizz01
11-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Nice Buck! That was a good shoot with a cast boolit at 130 yds. Good luck with the doe! I am going to try for a doe this year with my Uberti .45 Colt.

G

Ranch Dog
11-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Very nice!

badgeredd
11-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Eventhough it was a successful kill I'm going to start using ACWW in hopes of preventing the fragmentation.

He has a 16.5" inside spread and 6 3/4" G2"s. He was a pretty good buck but my son's seen one that much much better. He's on a mission to take him if possible. As for me I'm out to get a doe with a handgun next.

To create a more malleable boolit, I've found that a 50/50 mix of WW/pure lead water dropped is the ticket. It is still tough but doesn't seem to want to shatter or fragment nearly as bad as straight WW when water dropped. Just a idea that you might want to try.

Excellent hunting there and a nice critter too. I've seen exactly one nice buck around here and tomorrow is opening day so wish me luck, No matter what, I will be taking a deer with cast boolits this year :twisted: ...probably thinning the overly large doe population. :-D

Edd

txbirdman
11-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the tip on the alloy. I'll be doing some experimenting before next year. I live in a 2 buck county but won't be taking another one. I have 2 son's that need to fill their tags too. I have really enjoyed hunting with cast the last couple of years. When I shot this deer I could actually watch the reaction. When he kicked both hind legs I knew he was hit hard but when I went follow him, no blood trail. Fortunately he didn't go far. When I field dressed him there was no damage whatsoever on the opposite side of his rib cage. I feel fortunate that I didn't lose him. The margin of error with my present alloy is not enough. I'll definitely be working on another mix.

waksupi
11-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Good going! I'm surprised to hear the boolit shattered. I have never experienced that with WQWW's.

arcticbreeze
11-14-2009, 08:38 PM
We (my shooting buddy and I) did some experimenting this year also. We used water jugs with some thin plywood in between them to simulate some bone (best we could do). I have also come to the conclusion that even ACWW are a little too hard. Best expansion or should I say obturation and weight retention with the RCBS 35-200-FN in a 35 Rem was 50/50 ww/pure lead. They were pushed about 2060 FPS. There was zero leading also which surprised me.

outdoorfan
11-15-2009, 06:25 AM
Hey, way to go!!! That's a dandy buck! Gotta be in the 100-110 range, and one I would sure be plenty happy with.

robertbank
11-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice Buck! You got to drage Tim out for a shoot.

Take Care

Bob

txbirdman
11-15-2009, 05:56 PM
I was very surprised that the bullet shattered also. I really didn't expect that. Maybe it wouldn't if air cooled instead of water dropped. I don't know but I'm sure going to try artic breeze's ideals also. I just didn't want to get the alloy so soft that it stripped the rifling. This load has proved accurate in my Savage 110 and my son't 1885 '06. So I don't want to deviate too much from this load. BTW thanks for all the advice and kind comments.

Bob don't worry Tim's already headed down this way next weekend and I'm sure he'll have some ideals about my hunting alloy.

robertbank
11-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I suspect he will be looking for a piece of Venison for payment for all his free advice.:-P

Take Care

Bob

Topper
11-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Congrates on your Nice buck!
Interesting info on alloy type since I've been considering getting out the old 06.

JDL
11-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Congrats on a nice buck txbirdman! I use almost the same load in my '06; 32 grains of surplus 4895 with air cooled 31141. A bobcat is the only thing I've taken with it though and it certainly was adequate.