PDA

View Full Version : First shots with my K31

jh45gun
04-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Well I reloaded up some ammo using cast spitzer style bullets using 16 grains of 2400 the bullets weighed just under 165 grains. (Bought these at a estate sale aready lubed and gas checked) Shot at 50 yards with the rear sight elevated at 3. Gun at 3 still shot a inch low and 2 inches to the right. Group was 4 shots into a inch and a half with a high flyer to make it just under 2 inches. Not sure if the group can be tightened by changing the load or putting a scout scope on it. I suspect the load is ok I just need a better sighting sytem to match my aging eyes. To be honest my eyes do not work too well with open sights anymore. Or one of those eye glass aperatures may be the ticket but I really do like scout set ups. I shot at 50 as the targets at the range are the standard triangle with crosshairs on them and they do not make for a good target for unscoped guns. A 8 inch black bull at a 100 would be better. Still I was happy with the range time and I think a scout scope would do it. I will have to save up some cash and order a mount for it. Jim

LowPE
04-23-2005, 05:49 PM
That is interesting. I am working up loads for my K31s & my cast bullets (lee 160 sized to 309) were shooting low and to the right (I was using Unique), but when I powered up to a pulldown M2 bullet (150 grain jacketed) with a load of surplus 4895 behind it the group centered nicely. Low I understand, but to the right? Groups were nice but not outstanding.

Other than the first shot I had no flyers. I am using gp-11 brass with berdan primers.

Pb head
04-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Don't know the why of it but every Swiss I have aquired {5} have all printed about 2-4 inches right with cast boolits. Since all I shoot is cast I just tap the front sight forward which moves the POI left untill it"s centered.

Pb head

Bob S
04-23-2005, 10:52 PM
2-4 MOA right is about the norm for bullets that are lighter and significantly slower than the service load. It doesn't matter if they are cast or jacketed.

Resp'y,
Bob S.