PDA

View Full Version : Red Ryder BB guns at Wallyworld...$25.00!

oldhickory
11-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I've been waiting for the price to come down for the Christmas season to buy one for me and my grandson, (they were up to $39.95 over the summer).

The wife and I went to town this morning for a few things and I looked around the Christmas displays for them, but no luck. We bought dogfood and while passing by the sporting goods dept...There they were! 70th anniversery Red Ryder BB guns on sale for $25.00! They even have them stocked in pink painted wood for girls. Of course there's a medallion set in the stock proclaiming the 70th year of production.

I can't wait till Christmas so I can shoot it too!:lol:

markinalpine
11-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Can't remember what I did. Didn't shoot my eye out, though. My mother took mine away and I never saw it again, EVER! 50 years ago!!

Mark :coffeecom:

oldhickory
11-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I remember why mine was taken away!...BB dents in the side of dads Studebaker!:groner:

chaos
11-14-2009, 01:19 PM
They aint what they used to be.

I myself still have the Daisy Red Ryder that was given to me in my youth. It is battle scarred from all the wars we fought together, but it still functions flawlessly with proper oiling.

I gave my son a Brand spanking new Red Ryder for his 6th or 7th birthday. Daisy went and got cheap. First thing I noticed is the lever is made of Flimsy PLASTIC instead of the Metal one I was familiar with. The darn thing doesnt generate enough power to penetrate a Beer can either, It does however produce a nice Ricochet. Mine will punch straight through.

His made it through one year of use before the plastic lever snapped smooth off. Mine is 30 years old, has had rocks shot out of it, looks like a lumberjack tried to use it as an axe, drug behund a truck, etc..... Still functions.

The old one is and was reasonably accurate. The new one.... well it makes a pop when you pull the trigger and who knows where the projectile will land?

I would pay more for a NEW decent made Red Ryder if they would just produce one.

I took many a Squirrel with mine as a kid.

jcwit
11-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I've been waiting for the price to come down for the Christmas season to buy one for me and my grandson, (they were up to $39.95 over the summer).

And look closely on the back of the box, MADE IN CHINA. Another American icon going down the tubes. Go ahead and buy one and support American labor, well the long shoreman anyway.

Ricochet
11-14-2009, 03:02 PM
It does however produce a nice Ricochet.
All right! I'm headed for the Wal-Mart! I'm gonna produce some nice Ricochets to take care of all my work, and I'm going shooting!

mooman76
11-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I got a real old one, not sure how old but it belonged to my Grandfather so I know it is well over 60 years old.

bootsnthejeep
11-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Buddy of mine lives out in the sticks of Sweden, Maine and is living my dream. And he's one of those people that can make ANYTHING shoot with deadly accuracy. Snubnose pistols out to 100 yards. Cloverleaf groups out of old warhorse wheelguns with Christmas turkey trigger pulls. He's just one of those guys.

We turn up at his house one day, and him and a buddy had been warding off the summer heat with a few frosty beverages, and at some point, he dug up an old Red Ryder BB gun, scrounged up a used receiver peep sight, EPOXIED it onto the sheet metal receiver, and they were taking turns picking off grasshoppers and dragonflies (on the fly) over the swale grass behind his house, and laughing like a couple of fools.

You just can't buy that kind of entertainment.

I lost my Red Ryder when I was a kid for shooting out a window pane in the barn door. I tried to pass it off as an accident, but when my father shrewdly observed that I'd "accidentally" shot the window FOUR TIMES, I got my butt blistered and lost the gun for a month or so. Dad being Dad, I got it back.

But I never shot at windows again!

Throckmorton
11-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Yes,sad to say they ain't nothing like they used to be.
Heck,they even made the lever a 'safety lever'... you can't even smash your fingers in it if you pull the trigger with the lever hanging down.!!

yep,I remember the 'good' ones. These aint them.:(

oldhickory
11-15-2009, 09:21 AM
And look closely on the back of the box, MADE IN CHINA. Another American icon going down the tubes. Go ahead and buy one and support American labor, well the long shoreman anyway.

The box says, "Assembled in the U.S.A. with parts made in China and The U.S." You're partially right, but for $25.00 I HAD to get it for my grandson.