PDA

View Full Version : Hunting load??

Jeffery8mm
11-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Gonna use this load in a 308. Youth deer season starts here in Ms in the morning.
My daughter [8] has been shooting this load for several weeks now and is very confident\competent with it out to 50 yards. I can get 1" and she gets 1 1/2 to 2" groups. Shots for her will be limited to 50 yds.
Load is ..
150gr Lee FP GC
LLA lube
12gr Unique
CCI 200
Av FPS = 1580
Alloy is 50/50 wheel weight/stick on

At this distance/velocity, is this gonna expand SOME?? Complete penetration?? I know it would take more water jugs than I have to stop the boolit!!
This load is what she is comfortable with as far as recoil. She is only 60 lbs!!! We have studied shot placement and have shot lifelike targets that have the vitals\bone on them.
What do you think??
Jeff

PS. I am more nervous than she is, but she doesnt know that!:shock:

mpmarty
11-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I'd guess at that close range if she places the shot correctly it should work fine. If it hits major bone it may tumble which is even better than expanding.

Blammer
11-13-2009, 05:46 PM
I good hit and you'll be snapping pictures!

Jeffery8mm
11-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I good hit and you'll be snapping pictures!

THANK you for the vote of confidence!! Hopefully I will get to post pics on here soon!!!!!!!!!

SPRINGFIELDM141972
11-13-2009, 06:12 PM
I wish you and your daughter the best of luck. I hope to see those pictures! Anytime a youngster is introduced to shooting, I applaud the mentor. Good Job!

Regards,
Everett

Gohon
11-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Are you sure about the velocity? I would think with that load it should be closer to 1700 fps or just a tad more. Nevertheless, with your data it should be clipping along in the neighborhood of 700 fpe at 50 yards and 600 fpe at 100 yards. It should work just fine for you.

Jeffery8mm
11-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Gohon, according to my pact, 10ft from the muzzle, the velocity is correct.
Jeff

RugerFan
11-13-2009, 09:16 PM
A 50 yd shot through the rib cage should be fine. I would avoid the shoulder. Let us know how she does.

largom
11-13-2009, 09:49 PM
You did not state whether your boolits were air cooled or water dropped. If water dropped they will not expand, if air cooled you "might" get some expansion. At least this has been my experience with MY 50/50 alloy.
At 50 yds. I would have her bust a shoulder to prevent running too far. My compliments for having a 8yr. old daughter that wants to hunt and shoot.

Larry

runfiverun
11-13-2009, 10:11 PM
even with the 50-50 alloy i'd go for the shoulder shot also.
littlegirl got her first deer this year with a cast no less.
it hit the shoulder bone and expanded to 45 cal and left a nice thumb sized hole on exit,
she done it with her argie at 1800.
with a child of your's age you need to let her know what to expect after shooting an animal.

Jeffery8mm
11-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Air cooled 50/50 largom. Hope for some exp!!!!
runfiverun. I agree. She has been hunting with me since she was 5. She has witnessed the harvest of 4 deer and the cleaning/processing of countless others. This aint your typical little girl!!! We raise rabbits and she insist on being present for processing, start to finish. She is homeschooled, and her favorite field trip this year was to the taxidermist, a good friend of the family. The museum of natural science in Jackson Ms is like a toy store to her. She can walk you through the reloading process as good as some "seasoned" reloaders. She finds wheel weights in the parking lot and stuffs them in her pocket for dad!!! Knows to wash up good after handling them too.
She is my buddy!!!

Gohon
11-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Jeff, what I mistakenly did was look at my 30-30 loads using the same bullet and powder assuming they should be the same. Didn't realize the same load in the 30-30 would equal slightly higher velocity than the 308.

The hard part of having a little buddy is one day they will be all grown up and have their own little buddy. But at least if you're close you can start over again with the little grand buddy.