PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 Banger Soft-Nose

blaster
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I perfected a method for making soft-nose boolits in the 6 banger lee mold. I know the soft-nose boolit has been gone over before with a 2 cavity but I have a new addition. Here’s what I did:

I made an adjustable dipper out of a 9mm case that was drilled out and threaded through the flash hole, then ran in a machine screw with a lock nut and made a wire handle.

Since the dip the mold in the pot doesn’t work with the big molds, I took a used up egg sticking 9” frying pan and cut 2 slits about 3” apart in the side about 2/3 down and rolled that flap down with a pair of pliers.

Then I threw 6lbs of pure lead in the pan and melted it on a one burner Coleman stove.

I melted clip on wheel weights plus tin in the lee drip-o-matic.

Down to business, after the mold was hot, I dippered enough pure lead (is a boolit armor piercing if you melt the lead in a Teflon coated pan?) into each open cavity to have them filled to the crimp groove. By the time they were all poured they were hard.

I then closed the sprue plate and filled the cavities the rest of the way with hard boolit metal, leaving plenty of extra alloy on the plate. I let the sprues harden then set the mold in the in the lead in the frying pan letting the handle stick out through the notch. Once the sprue melted again I took it out set it on a damp rag until everything hardened and water dropped 6 soft-nose boolits.

Overall it worked pretty well. While it was painfully slow, it was lightening fast compared to the 2 cavity mold since you get 6 boolits for about the same amount of time.
Out of 72 I had 13 rejects. 6 of those I can account to trying it without setting the mold in the frying pan.

Blaster

Three44s
11-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Blaster,

A belated welcome to the forum!

I had a hard time reading your post and more paragraph breaks would have helped greatly.

So in actuallity, you're remelting the castings in the frying pan

......................and then resolidifying them all still in the mold ........

..........and then releasing them?

With enough sprue metal there is a resettling of the alloy and thus no voids.

One would have to hold the handles tightly closed for quite a spell so you did not oval your boolits as they remelted.

I am cautious about jazzing molds too much but I might try it with a two cavity Lee first.

Thanks for posting and regards

Three 44s

blaster
11-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Blaster,

A belated welcome to the forum!

I had a hard time reading your post and more paragraph breaks would have helped greatly.

So in actuallity, you're remelting the castings in the frying pan

......................and then resolidifying them all still in the mold ........

..........and then releasing them?

With enough sprue metal there is a resettling of the alloy and thus no voids.

One would have to hold the handles tightly closed for quite a spell so you did not oval your boolits as they remelted.

I am cautious about jazzing molds too much but I might try it with a two cavity Lee first.

Thanks for posting and regards

Three 44s

Exactly. I'm just fusing everything in the frying pan full of lead. I tried skipping this step but it resulted in incomplete fillout.

blaster
11-14-2009, 05:18 PM
btw. Sorry for the spacing. I lost the format when I cut and pasted from word. Fixed now.

MT Gianni
11-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Three 44's he is using the Bruce B method on a 6 cavity. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=53234&highlight=soft+point
see linc.

Blaster You might try using 60 gr 32 cal round balls. I use them rather than dipping lead.