PDA

View Full Version : Why does Lee say .429 cast size for all, except the one tumble lube.

tackstrp
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Why does Lee say .429 cast size for all, except the one tumble lube for the 44 caliber. I have always sized my 44 calibler bullets to .430. Consequently I dont understand buying something that will not cast .430. I do have one 44 caliber sample in tumble lube, some times I can measure .430 +or - a little depending on how the micrometer is used. ( operator malfunction)

For the 38 and 9 mm the as cast sizes look correct to me. at .358 and .356

Buckshot
11-13-2009, 03:24 AM
.............Where is it you're seeing Lee saying this? If it is their recomendation for a 'sizing to' diameter, that's all it is. A recomendation and nothing else. But it's like someone recommending to you to size your 30 caliber cast lead boolits to .308" because that's what jacketed slugs are. So regardless what the suggested, or recommended size is it means nothing at all because they haven't sluged YOUR firearm.

.............Buckshot

Bret4207
11-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Ricks right. There's no way a mould maker can guarantee the diameter of a mould unless he's casting from your alloy. Even then casting style, mould temp, etc. will give you different sizes. It's a general recommendation is all, and one not worth listening to really.