PDA

View Full Version : Sizing leaves a small lip at base of boolit?

AJ Peacock
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm resizing some .360 truncated cone (120gr) boolits in a Star sizer. I'm sizing them down to .358, nose first. I'm ending up with a slight lip/ring around the outside of the base (looks almost like the ring that is cut when reloading a case that isn't belled enough). Is this anything to be concerned with as far as accuracy, leading etc. Am I doing something wrong in sizing these? The lube groove is getting perfectly full (using BAC).

Thanks,
AJ

Cannoneer
11-12-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm resizing some .360 truncated cone (120gr) boolits in a Star sizer. I'm sizing them down to .358, nose first. I'm ending up with a slight lib/ring around the outside of the base (looks almost like the ring that is cut when reloading a case that isn't belled enough). Is this anything to be concerned with as far as accuracy, leading etc. Am I doing something wrong in sizing these? The lube groove is getting perfectly full (using BAC).

Thanks,
AJ

I get the same thing when I run a .458 bullet thru a .452 reducing die. The displaced lead has to move somewhere. A SHARP box cutter will slice that extra lead off the base of the boolit just as slick as you please.:Fire::castmine:

lwknight
11-12-2009, 06:23 PM
If your sizer die had a bit softer entry , the drag off might be reduced some. Also a bit of lube before sizing might help.

ANeat
11-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I get that with a flat base bullet if there is any flashing around the bullet as cast, like if the sprue plate isnt as tight as it could be.

HORNET
11-12-2009, 08:10 PM
You know, if you were using a Lyman or RCBS you wouldn't get that......:kidding:

tackstrp
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
i agree with Hornet . aobut Lyman sizing dies.