PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor Dilemma

KCSO
05-08-2006, 09:33 AM
A friend came over yesterday with a trapdoor that he bought at an auction. The gun has a very good bore and would make a cast shooter but...
The chamber is eroded about 1/2 way up and even B/P cases stick. If I could find a good TD barrel I would put it in, otherwise I will have to reline the chamber. The gun is a nice looking 73 with a Buckhorn and a cartouch of 1881.

shooter575
05-08-2006, 12:06 PM
KCSO,There is a guy in Pa. Bobby Hoyt that does real nice work.First rate all the way.I have had him reline over 1/2 dozen BP centerfire and M/L barrels.He has a P&W sine bar machine so he can do any twist you want.I dont know if he can or will just do a chamber insert? If you can wait I will see him in a couple weeks.I could ask? He sets up a booth at our Nationals in Va.I will not post his phone # here.PM me and I will give it to ya though. One thing he does a lot of barrels so it can take a while. 6 mo is about average.

Bullshop
05-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I have an indian gun. By that I mean it has been altered from origonal and looks well indian. Thing is it has a realy clean barrel rifle length. I think it has a 73 block but has a buffington sight so ? I can try to do a pic if you want. It would get you a good barrel and all other parts to boot.
$400.00 + shipping
BIC/BS

KCSO
05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Send me some pics' that might be the way to go.

Thanks

45 2.1
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
KCSO,There is a guy in Pa. Bobby Hoyt that does real nice work.First rate all the way.I have had him reline over 1/2 dozen BP centerfire and M/L barrels.He has a P&W sine bar machine so he can do any twist you want.I dont know if he can or will just do a chamber insert? If you can wait I will see him in a couple weeks.I could ask? He sets up a booth at our Nationals in Va.I will not post his phone # here.PM me and I will give it to ya though. One thing he does a lot of barrels so it can take a while. 6 mo is about average.

Jim-
I have a 50 cal TC hawken barrel 15/16" that I aquired that is rusted badly (rough). Would this guy bore and rifle to 54 cal. RB (about 1 turn to 60") twist? I'd appreciate it if you would find out the time frame and cost (while you get some more load tubes) for me.

shooter575
05-08-2006, 10:22 PM
45 2.1 I will ask him.I know of some others he has done that to.I just had a orgional .58 Springfield rifled musket barrel relined.Cost $200 bucks.5 years ago it was about $150.Got to pick my twist and # of lands though.With the price of steel doubling and he has to buy gas and electricy....
My guess is a simple re bore and rifleing would be a bunch less.I also havent forgot your tubes.

Abert Rim
05-12-2006, 11:46 AM
KCSO: A reasonably affordable fix, though not very elegant, is to remove barrel, clean chamber, then apply JB Weld to the corroded area. Then run a chambering reamer back in (by hand, if you want) to clean up the weld and make everything concentric. A friend did this for me with an old Model 1869 Trapdoor in .50-70 in which it appeared someone had pried out an old copper case with a screwdriver, leaving deep gouges. At BP pressures, the JB Weld solution worked great and it fit my beer budget.

KCSO
05-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks
I may try the JB solution. It won't cost anything even if it fails and if it works it will be a good fix. I am still waiting on some pic's from Bullshop as I may have enough parts to put the indian gun back in action.

Bullshop
05-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks
I may try the JB solution. It won't cost anything even if it fails and if it works it will be a good fix. I am still waiting on some pic's from Bullshop as I may have enough parts to put the indian gun back in action.
KCSO
Hold that thought there pard! Many appollogies from BS camp for loosing you. I ment to get that done and lost the thread, couldnt member where it was!!! I will make great effort to get a pic here today. Please forgive me!
BIC/BS

ktw
05-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Jim-
I have a 50 cal TC hawken barrel 15/16" that I aquired that is rusted badly (rough). Would this guy bore and rifle to 54 cal. RB (about 1 turn to 60") twist? I'd appreciate it if you would find out the time frame and cost (while you get some more load tubes) for me.

Sorry to horn in, but you can get green mountain drop in replacement barrels for those for less than $200; caliber, and rate of twist of your choice. Might be cheaper than a rebore/reline.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID=491

-ktw

45 2.1
05-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Thats what i'm wanting to find out.

Bullshop
05-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Well here it is. Not a very good pic. Dont know if ya can see the beautiful ornate hand carvings on the for stock or the exquisite exotic hardwood pistal grip addition.
Anyways the bore looks darn good and I see no problems with the chamber.
I have not shot it but would have no worries about doing so.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/7e293165.jpg

shooter575
05-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Printed off the post to take to remind me.[CRS] I am off to the nationals Wed evening.for 4 days of shooting,shoping,swaping,lying,looking and maybe a lemonade or two.4,000 shooters in one place with 80 or so vendors is a rush. Boys I could retire real nicely on 1% of what money changes hands there.
I will report back next week.

45nut
05-16-2006, 12:36 AM
tell me about that rolling block please.oh,,and the 45acp Enfield.

shooter575
05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
KCSO ,I talked to Bobby Hoyt Friday.He said he started doing trapdoor chambers a couple years ago.BTW most of them were ringed he said.I asked him for a ballpark price and he quoted around 75 bucks.PM me your address and I will send you a catalog.

45 2.1, price quoted for a simple rebore and re rifleing to next cal was a 100.00 I also got you 300 tubes like the last batch. I will throw in one of his catalogs into the box.

45 2.1
05-23-2006, 02:01 PM
45 2.1, price quoted for a simple rebore and re rifleing to next cal was a 100.00 I also got you 300 tubes like the last batch. I will throw in one of his catalogs into the box.

Thanks Much Jim, i'll be waiting for the box to show up.

gregg
05-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Bobby Hoyt, Freischutz Shop
700 Fairfield Station road
Fairfield, PA 1732

Wife had them recut the rifling in her
50cal TC hawken. Went back to shooting
great.
She had shot it enought with Patched Round Balls
that the accuracy went away. I don't know why?
Maybe the patch polished the sharpness off the
lands? Anyway Bobby recut the barrel. Went to a
.500 Ball and all was well.
OBTW we were buying black powder by the cases at the
time.

mooman76
05-27-2006, 12:06 PM
I can't see wearing out the rifling in a BP except in a very old gun that wasn't cared for properly but sometimes you can switch to a tighter patch or slightly larger ball ! Hard to tell in a BP though, since you can't just look down the bore like a breach loader!