PDA

View Full Version : Remembrance Day Nov . 11th

robertbank
11-11-2009, 01:11 AM
On the eve of Rembrance Day I give thanks to those who put it all on the line for us yesterday, today and tomorrow.

All our families war vets are gone now to be with their comrades save for a Gulf War Vet. Thank -you fellows it was a priviledge to grow up under your kind guidance... my two sons are doing well and live in a free country. I will never forget your sacrifice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prPsDBulNJQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InztCEsi-7w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4C_Ngws3Q&feature=related

Thank you for allowing me to post this.

Take Care

Bob

oldhickory
11-11-2009, 01:50 PM
When I was young, my parents called it Armistice Day, and continued to do so even after it became Veterans Day in honor of dad's brothers and mom's uncles who fought in the World War. Two of dad's brothers killed in France, another came back a Veteran along with two brother-in-laws. Mom lost two uncles to the Great War.

Dad was a kid on 11-11-18 and told the stories of the celebrations many times. The family lived on N. 4th street, in the city of Harrisburg, Pa. a nice neighborhood at the time. My grandmother wouldn't let him out because of the Spanish flu going around at the time, but dad watched and listened from the front room of the house. Church bells rang, fire crackers were set off, pistols fired into the air, and people celebrating in the streets.

Dad said it was the biggest celebration he ever witnessed, grander than V-E day or V-J day during WWII. I wish dad were here to write about how his mother threatened to beat his a$$ with the flat side of a butcher knife if he tried to sneak out and join the revelry. Apparently he was all too familiar with that knife's flat side against his rump!;)

sundog
11-11-2009, 02:30 PM
My Grandfather was recovering from shrapnel wounds from a German artillery shell somewhere in France or Belgium, 91 yeas ago today. He was one of the first group of Americans to arrive on 'the continent', way ahead of the AEF. His artillery unit was assigned to the Second French Army, later reassigned back to American control (2nd ID) when Pershing arrived and demanded that all American forces be under his command. When 'Gramps' passed away in '72 he still had shrapnel in his hand and head and scar tissue in his lungs from gas. He and his fellow Soldiers and Marines were truly heroes!

45nut
11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
"It is, in a way, an odd thing to honor those who died in defense of our country ... in wars far away. The imagination plays a trick. We see these soldiers in our mind as old and wise. We see them as something like the Founding Fathers, grave and gray-haired. But most of them were boys when they died, and they gave up two lives -- the one they were living and the one they would have lived. When they died, they gave up their chance to be husbands and fathers and grandfathers. They gave up their chance to be revered old men. They gave up everything for their country, for us. All we can do is remember." --Ronald Reagan

bohokii
11-11-2009, 05:50 PM
memorial day is for fallen soldiers
veterans day is for the living who served

oldhickory
11-11-2009, 07:26 PM
memorial day is for fallen soldiers
veterans day is for the living who served

True enough for here in the states, it's Remembrance Day in some countries, Poppy Day in others, and I suppose it still may be Armistice Day in some yet. Istarted off as a celebration ending four years of hell known as The Great War. Some countries use the day like our Memorial Day, to remember their war dead. The First World War involved many countries and they choose to remember the silence of the guns in their own way.

robertbank
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Here is Canada as you would know from my original post it is Remembrance Day, a National Holiday when we remember not only those who died in the service of our country but those who served as well. It is celebrated across our country in every city, town and village. You would be hard pressed to find a small town in Canada without a cenotaph and a list of names of the fallen from their town and on today, a parade or ceromony of some kind.

Remembrance Day is 2nd only to Canada Day on July 1 as a day of celebration for Canadians.

Take Care

Bob