PDA

View Full Version : You gotta see this to believe it

omgb
05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I produced this group at 50 yards with my Lyman GP rifle and round balls. The key was the use of these Hornady sabots that permitted 5 shots without lube and grouped all touching. The two shots to the right were sighters I fired first s=to set the fron sights. These little green sabots worked far better than any patch/RB como I had previously used.

RugerFan
05-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Very interesting. Are those Hornady sabots specifically designed for RBs or was it just your experiment.

Johnch
05-07-2006, 10:22 PM
If you use those for hunting , be carefull .
I have a 50 cal TC Renagade Hunter .
Last winter for Muzzel loader season , I seated the ball , was sitting in the blind and the muzzel banged the floor lightly .
After a few min the ball rolled out the muzzel , I was holding it at a 45% down angle .

I reseated the ball and later shot a deer .

Not sure if some how I had not gotten it seated properly the first time .
But I will never use them again

Poly Wad also or used to sell them
I was told it is or was a common problem with Poly Wad if you didn't use a big enough ball

Johnch

omgb
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I used the old poly wads in the past and am well aware of the "walking ball" syndrom. If you remember though, the poly wads did not have split petals, they had a cup on both ends. The Hornady split petals allow the ball to be wedged in very tightly, just as tight in fact, as a patched ball would be. The wad actually deforms to the rifling and the little gripping dots in the petals grip that ball bou coup snug.

I am very impressed with these. Hornady told me over the phone that these were designed with hot loads and extra hard balls in mind. I just used standard Hornady .490 round balls and you see the results. This gun had never grouped like that before. I might add that I shot this group AFTER I had finished 100 rounds with my 45-90 Sharps. I'd be willing to bet I could do even better with a fresh shoulder.

Buckshot
05-08-2006, 03:38 AM
.............Very impressive shooting however it was done. Let's see, you're not shooting your shotgun because someone has your tools? :-)

.............Buckshot

omgb
05-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Something like that Rick. [smilie=1:

omgb
05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
It has got to be a zen thing. I pointed the gun, squeezed the trigger and there they were, five neat little holes. Nobody was more shocked than I was. This gun has never shot better than 4 inches at 50 yards before. I attribute some of this to the load but honestly, I think the fire lapping I did made a huge difference.