PDA

View Full Version : windage adjustment on guide gun

superior
11-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I just shot my new guide gun for the first time today and I need a sight adjustment. I only had enough h4895 to load 3 Lee 457-405-f's, so after cleaning out the barrell, I shot a 3 shot group out of my jeep window at 55 yards. They grouped into 2 inches with 2 shots touching. My load was 40 grains h4895 for somewhere around 1400fps. I'm pleased with the grouping but it was about 7 inches to the right of the bullseye and about 2 inches low. The elevation adjustment is easy but how hard is it to drift the rear dovetail? I'm glad I got lucky with the mould because this load is very mild as far as recoil and muzzle blast are concerned but will drop large game easily at the same time. THe best part for me is NO GASCHECKS!!!:lovebooli

tcrocker
11-10-2009, 08:30 PM
That seams like a lot. I'd say just peal it a couple of times and see. You may need to get a aftermarket peep sight with more windage justment.I persomaly use a Willimas WGR on mine. You get a good sized peep hole in the one that comes with it and thats what I hunt with , now my brother on the other hand uses the peep sight for target pritace and takes it out for hunting and just uses the threaded hole much like a ghost sight.

Ekalb2000
11-10-2009, 11:39 PM
I took a 1/4in x eight inch long extension and put a rag between it and rear sight, tap with small hammer, while friend is holding rifle, and guiding the extension. Thats what I had available at the time. Thanks again Adam.

andy

Ranch Dog
11-11-2009, 07:08 AM
You should use a brass punch. Harbor Freight and other stores sell these in kits and individually for very little money.

I've got to take some hunters out to their deer stand but will come back and tell you how far to drift it based on your post above. You can actually calculate the change and measure it with calipers which will get you into the ball park for small changes. I would do more shooting from a proper rest before I called the adjustment if I were you!

NickSS
11-11-2009, 07:19 AM
I agree with ranch dog about shooting it a bit more. I use a piece of 3/8 inch brass rod for adjusting dovetail sights. You will find that with the short barrel on your GG that you do not have to move it much. As for me mine has a williams FP receiver sight on it so corrections are easy to make. I also shoot better with them as well. Remember to drift the sight in the direction you want to move the bullet impact.

Ranch Dog
11-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Minute of angle, inches at the following distances:
25 Yards = 900"
50 Yards = 1800"
100 Yards = 3600"

Impact error divided by MOA inches from above = Correction
Correction times sight radius = sight movement in inches

Sight radius on the guide gun is 12.25"

Your specifics (using 50 yards)
7/1800 = .00388
.00388 X 12.25 = .0476"

Now to calibrate the hammer tap... 1 tap equals...

superior
11-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys, for the good instruction. I had to do it by myself because the wife doesn't know about this one. With the gun in my lap, I made a pencil mark on the barrell at the forwardmost point of the rear sights. I tapped gently to avoid any damage and moved the sight over about a 32nd of an inch. This should make a significant difference since the sight radius is relatively short. That formula for sight correction is awesome ! At this point, I'll be able to make corrections in the field, shooting just one shot between adjustments..
THANKS AGAIN, RANCH DOG and others!! I love this website.