PDA

View Full Version : Relaxation...

BCB
05-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Just finished cleaning the 32-year old Ruger Security-Six and placed her back into the gun safe. I only started casting bullets about 8 years ago, so I don’t have the experience and variety of molds and handguns/rifles to select from, but I do shoot some of the ol’ standbys—30-30, Waters, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum and 38 Special to name a few. Regardless, it is a nice day here in Western PA so I thought I would take the Harley to my shooting range and just do some shooting. I hadn’t shot the Security-Six for some time so I grabbed a box of 358429’s a box of RCBS 38-148-WC’s and a couple dozen #12 shot loads. My range is located in a wooded area and I have access by an old roadway that I keep mowed—over ½ mile long. I got to my bench and forgot all about targets, just a bowling pin and some empty plastic soda bottles to fill with water. I didn’t even get out the sandbags. I just sat on a 5-gallon bucket and start to do some off-hand shooting. The 358429’s were loaded with 6.0 grains of WW-230 or Scot 453 and both shoot right at the 1000 fps velocity. The other powder is H-110—15.0 grains. These truck along at around 1250 fps. At 25 yards while resting my elbows on my knees, I was able to hit 24 ounce plastic bottles with amazing constancy. The H-110 load sure would make the water fly from one of the plastic bottles. I then shot some of the WC’s. This load is 11.0 grain of WC-820 for a velocity of around 1100 fps. Now this load is accurate. Over an embankment where my range is located, is an old dump area. It is only about 25 feet long and 15 feet wide, but it has produced many targets such as bottles, old shoes, cans, car headlights, etc. It was used over 50 years ago, so there is nothing new in it. Mostly the area is concealed with grasses and small shrubs. There is an old cast iron stove there and it had a convenient rust spot on it to be used as an aiming point. Two cylinders full of the WC’s produced a dozen holes that were about 2.5” wide. The distance is about 17 yards. Not bad for me while sitting and using my knees as a rest for my elbows. Now then, the shot capsules were put to work killing wasps that constantly build nests inside my little 8’x 8’ pavilion that covers my bench. Now that is action shooting!!!

I guess what this is leading to is the question: Is shooting these type of loads from an older revolver at nothing in particular what cast shooting is mostly about? I think too often I place targets to test for extreme accuracy and miss out on just the fun of shooting at bottles, chunks of wood, bowling pins, or even cast iron stoves! No stress shooting…BCB

felix
05-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Official targeting work is for young wippersnappers, those who need personal competition to stay alive. Bottle caps are challenge enough for me these days, at anywhere between 80 and 120 yards. But, and this is a big butt, you have to see the critters to hit them. For my eyes, that means a scoped gun. If I have a lever gun out that day, I shoot beer cans at the same distances. ... felix

C1PNR
05-07-2006, 04:09 PM
I like to shoot precisely measured powder charges, under excellent quality boolits, at precise targets, from precisely measured distances UNTIL I find the load that gun likes.

From then on, the paper stays in the box and it's "target of opportunity at undetermined distance" time.:Fire:

Dirt clods, rocks, dead tree branches, whistle pigs, once in a while a jack rabbit, you name it. Only real stress that sometimes intrudes is locating brass in the grass when using a semi auto.[smilie=1:

Bret4207
05-08-2006, 06:35 AM
You hit the nail on the head. It's supposed to be FUN!

9.3X62AL
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Dirt clods, rocks, dead tree branches, whistle pigs, once in a while a jack rabbit, you name it. Only real stress that sometimes intrudes is locating brass in the grass when using a semi auto.[smilie=1:

Dittoes all around, jackrabbits are uniquely suited to terminal ballistics testing. Ground squirrels get a YES vote here, too.

Tristan
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm looking for a security-six just now, and for just the very thing you described... a always-carry, plinking, self-defense revolver that's hearty, hardy and easy on the wrist!

BCB
05-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Tristan,
Yep, I like my Security-Six. Mine has had enough rounds through it that it went back to Ruger many years ago for some work. I forget what the work was--maybe a forcing cone? Regardless, it has earned its keep. They are available quite a bit and are very reasonably priced. You will find one. Good-luck...BCB

Bucks Owin
05-16-2006, 04:09 PM
I like to shoot precisely measured powder charges, under excellent quality boolits, at precise targets, from precisely measured distances UNTIL I find the load that gun likes.

From then on, the paper stays in the box and it's "target of opportunity at undetermined distance" time.:Fire:

Amen Brother!
And the only new fangled self loader I own is a Ruger 10/22 so I don't even look for the brass!

Ahhhh.... [smilie=1:

Dennis

ebner glocken
05-16-2006, 04:52 PM
I just bought a security six a couple of weeks ago. Two hours ago I shot a 50 out of 60 on a 25yd slow fire target using some HOT 158gr with 17.4 gr of ww296. With that now I have the sights where I want them. Outside of the thing unrealibly setting off cci primers and not having much cylinder/barrel gap I like the thing. It tends to bind when it's hot. After this "formal" break in period the more serious targets it will probably see are golf balls, tennis balls, rocks, and dirt clods. That's kinda how I view a .38 caliber, a "fun gun". For knockin over those steel animals I use bigger guns anyway.

Jack Stanley
05-17-2006, 09:50 PM
I think I like your version or "sporting hornets" sound like more fun than sporting clays . Maybe I oughta get some shot loads an' try it out [smilie=1:

Jack