PDA

View Full Version : Since I like to case.....which one?

mongo-az
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
OK - got a quandry here.....

I am looking for a semi-auto carbine (for a variety of reasons) - finally narrowed my choices to:

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch rifle
M1 carbine

Can't decide between the two - I defintely plan of reloading, don't care about tricking them out or military styling, not do I care about the endless SHTF or Zombine-hoard scenarios. I cast right now for .45LC and .45ACP - not sure if I want to cast for either or these - but defintly reload.

Ammo prices for .223 and .30 carbine are about the same, so no choice there.
I have a Remington 550 that has the floating chamber, which leads me towards the M1 - but the Mini-14 is .223, which is almost a guarantee of ammo availbility purchase in most gun stores.

So - what do I do? No, I CANNOT get both....what would be your choice in this situation and why? :confused::confused::veryconfu

fredj338
11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
JMO, the Mini 14 is really APOS. They are not known for accuracy. If you want something to plink w/ a 30 carbine is fun, but no scope mount. If you want some accuracy, get a AR variant, if you want a bit more than 223, a M1 SOCOM or bush rifle in 308 fills the bill nicely.

Shiloh
11-09-2009, 05:19 PM
The best accuracy From a Mini-14 with match bullets, trimmed cases of the same brand, individually loaded charge weights, was 4+" at 100 yds. You'd be luccky to do that with an M-1 carbine. The Mini's have been sold.

You get what you pay for. For a couple hundred extra, You could get an AR-15. That would probably give sub 2" groups. You could also get one for more money or build yours, to get sub 1' groups and better.

If all you can get is either the Carbine Or Mini, get the Mini.

Shiloh

higgins
11-09-2009, 05:30 PM
From friends' experience, don't expect great accuracy from a Mini14, however, theirs are older guns so a newer one may be better in that department. Carbines aren't tackdrivers either, so that criteria is a wash. Using .223 ammo is a plus for the mini, and another thing I know from personal experience is that the ones I am familiar with are completely reliable with any factory loaded ammo, as well as with handloads anywhere near correct pressure and case/loaded ammo dimensions. I don't know your age, but if you're like me and have middle-age eyes, a low-power scope would be a real plus.

montana_charlie
11-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I am looking for a semi-auto carbine (for a variety of reasons)
If any of those reasons cannot be satisfied with a 'pistol cartridge', your choice is clear.
CM

mongo-az
11-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the responses so far...

Not looking for an AR or clone - EBRs or anything that resembles them are not on the "approved wife's" list - so those are out....

Group size is not that important - I use my Sharps for tack driving - just would like more a high powered semi auto plinker than my rem 550

As for cartridge power - not a real concern either to me.

I've defintely got the middle aged eyes going on - but still cling to iron sights over a scope - and both the mini 14 ranch and M1 carbine have rear peep sights which seem to work for me.

So - those addl caveats being the case - any other thoughts?

Shiloh
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
.223 ammo is and will be more plentiful than M-1 Carbine ammo. The M-1 can be fired with cast boolits. I suppose the mini couild be also with cleaning of the gas port, but haven't heeard tell of that.. Peep sights work for my middle age eyes as well.

Shiloh

fredj338
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
You could always go M1 Garand. A classic piece of military history that can still get it done to as far as yo ucan hit. Mine will do 3" w/ milspec ammo @ 100yds w/ open sights. They will always be worth more than a mini 14 too.

Lead Fred
11-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Mongo,

At one time I had to decide bewteen the M1 Carbine, and the SKS. I chose the SKS because the ammo was cheap.

Between the M1 and a Mini, Id choose, Id choose the M1 carbine hands down.

Me will take a 30 cal over a 22 cal any day

XBT
11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
I bought a Ruger PC9 carbine a while back and am now and finding it’s one of my favorite “play” guns. It has the very large ghost ring sights, that work very well with old eyes, and it handles cast boolits fine. It’s also reasonably accurate for the type of gun and caliber, and is very reliable in operation.

On the minus side, the triggers on these are sometimes remarkably bad, but a skilled tinkerer can make them acceptable. They are no longer in production, but can be found in good used condition. They are so over built that it would surprise me to find one in poor condition.

I used mine to take one of your Arizona Javelina south of Kingman a couple of years ago and it worked fine.

troy_mclure
11-09-2009, 07:21 PM
ive fired a few mini 14/30 ranch, and standard, recently.

we were getting better groups from an AK47! lol

the mini30 ranch was verry finicky on ammo, and the mini 14 ranch did not like ANY after market mags, not even the ruger 30rd one.

ive only fired a few rounds from the m1 carbine, but i liked it. add to the fact its much more compact, and easy to maneuver than the ruger.

how bout a pistol cartridge carbine like the hi point, or beretta cx4 storm? 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp
?

i have a storm in .40 that is deadly to 75yd, and many people report 2-3" groups at 100yd with theirs.

Blacksmith
11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
The M1 carbine is available through the CMP Sales program if you qualify. The M1 Garand mentioned above is also available.
Here is the link:
http://www.thecmp.org/

Due to demand the deliveries are running slow. They also sell ammo but I just checked and the carbine ammo and the '06 is currently all sold out.

Blacksmith

John Guedry
11-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I have a Mini and it's not too awful accurate but if you're going to reload for it brass on the ground at the range is fairly plentiful. I haven't run across any carbine brass in years. Just a thought if you're thrifty (tight).

Tazman1602
11-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Mongo,

I've got two mini 14's and like to shoot them both.........BUT, accuracy is as stated elsewhere in this thread, NOT great but ammo is cheap and hey, they are fun.

That being said, I WISH I had kept one of my SKS's that I bought in the early 90's for $89.95. Reasonable ammo and MUCH more accurate than the Mini, just might be something you want to consider except the dang things are a couple hundred bucks now (SKS...) Thank you Slick Willy............

I actually took one of those SKS's out one day (Hey they were $90 bucks and at the time I had NO idea the price would get as high as it has....figured I could always pick up another one...) after a torrential rainstorm, tied to a rope behind my truck and drug it all over my back 40 acre field. Picked it up and fired a 30 round clip without missing a beat. Cheaply made but dead nuts reliable.

JMHO

Art

dhansen
11-10-2009, 09:36 AM
If you are inclined to work on your guns the Mini 14 can be tuned to shoot quite nicely. Lots of good information in between the SHTF content on making a Mini 14 shoot straight over here:

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

I'd go for the Mini over an AR type every time. Hate the "black gun" look.

Dennis in Maine.

badgeredd
11-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Of the 2 rifles you mentioned, I'd go with the Carbine. several molds available and probably easier to cast for and reload. Not to say the 22 caliber boolits are that bad, but I find the 100 grain and above boolit a little easier to cast. I have a mod I want to try for my Carbine with wimp loads just to plink. I suspect that I may be manually working the action, but for plinking I really don't care.

Edd

mongo-az
11-10-2009, 10:19 AM
OK- thx for the reponses so far - what I'm seeing is:

Mini 14 - problems with finding good magazines that feed reliably, accuracy not as good as it should be, but can pick up empty brass at the range for reloading whenever I want. Don't think I want to try casting itty-bitty .223s and then gas-checking them, so will have to by bulk-jacketed bullets for reloading...

M1 Carbine - little bit better accuracy, smaller, can reload if I get the brass up front, can case if I want to, fun to shoot, not as much as a problem with getting after market mags that work...

And, LIKE THE MORON I AM - I too used to have two Russian SKS's that LIKE THE MORON I AM sold off some time back when I was short of cash.. :violin:

mongo-az
11-10-2009, 10:19 AM
PS though - if I cast .30 cal for the M!, do I then need to gas check them or not?

kawalekm
11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I have both, and both have their own niches. If I want to teach a pretty girl how to shoot, I'd hand her the .30 carbine. If I spot a coyote on my land, I'd reach for the mini-14.

My .30 carbine loves Lyman's 130 grain round nose lead bullet. I can get 1" groups with 11.5 grains of H110 with that bullet at 25 yards. The carbine is more cast friendly than the .223 is. On the other hand, I can make jacketed .224 bullets from .22 rimfire shells using my sportflite dies.

You'll alway's be able to find .223 brass laying on the ground at any public range. I have to carefully monitor my stock of .30 brass.

You might be better off with a rifle in .357 if you can give up having an autoloader. Girls I take shooting seem to pick my Marlin shooting 38 specials as "their" gun. You can load it with .357 magnums when a coyote shows up.

P.S. If the SHTF and there's any kind of crisis, you might get some .223 to feed the mini. Nobody is going to be carrying .30 carbine.

Gohon
11-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Here are a couple articles you may be interested in reading on the newer Mini-14. Kind of counters some of the reports and myths about the Mini.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NEWMini14.htm

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/rugranch_071807/index.html

warf73
11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
PS though - if I cast .30 cal for the M!, do I then need to gas check them or not?

No you dont need gas checks, if you get an M1 Carbine I will send ya 100 or so boolits for it. These boolits are from a GB here on the boards, they shoot good for me in my carbine.
Drop me a PM if you get a carbine.

Warf

troy_mclure
11-11-2009, 02:19 PM
theres a guy on gbo selling m1 carbine brass for < $10ea, has 350+.

TCLouis
11-11-2009, 09:42 PM
If my choices were 30 Carbine and Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, I would choose a SKS.

Cheaper ammo than the M1 Carbine, likely as accurate or mor accurate than the Ranch rifle and there are several boolits just for thw SKS. You may have to get the military primers for the SKS to prevent slam-fires and they are a ****-shoot on accuracy.

mongo-az
11-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, thx for all the input - and the winner was....drum roll.....

The M1 Carbine!

Picked it up a bit ago - and biggest determining factor was the fact that I can cast my own boolits for it! Guess I'm a permanently hooked in caster nut now.....:D :cbpour:

Question though - wouldn't cast boolits eventually block the gas port in the barrel?