PDA

View Full Version : The 500 meter Ram vs. the 30-30 Part 3

Trailblazer
05-07-2006, 02:39 PM
We had the high power rifle match yesterday. Things are starting to come together but not all there yet. It was a very windy day so there weren't any high scores shot by anyone. It took 2 minutes of windage to get on the pigs at 300 meters with a high power rifle. It is easy to turn a scope knob but the real problem is holding the rifle steady in the gusting wind. Typical conditions for spring and summer at our range though.

I got a score of 5 with the 30-30 and I did not have the lowest score of the match by any means. 1 chicken, 2 pigs, 1 turkey and 1 ram. I have a Lyman globe sight and Marbles tang site on the rifle now. I used the 165 grain Saeco for chickens and pigs and the 205 grain Saeco RG-4 for turkeys and rams. I got to the range late and didn't get sighters so I had to get sighted in on chickens during the match. I was able to get fairly close on the rest of the targets by guesstimation once I had a chicken setting. I did get fouled up on pigs because I ran out of one can of powder and opened a new can while loading ammo. The two cans were different enough to change the trajectory. I thought I was all dialled in and then the shots started falling low. I happened to get a lull in the wind that let me hit my lone turkey.

The Marbles tang sight ran out of elevation after the turkeys so I switched to the Redfield receiver sight for rams. The problem there was that I couldn't see the outside of the globe sight through the receiver sight aperture so I never got a good ram sight setting. The two rings overlapped and I couldn't tell when the front sight was centered. Much later I realized all I had to do was remove the steenking aperture and I could have easily seen all the globe sight. Oh well! I hit the ram in the neck and he fell right over but that hit doesn't show much because it is the center hits that produce the ringers. I also shot my 7-08 and I rang one ram with a 160 grain Sierra BT with a heart shot. All rams are not created equal!

For the next match I need to get my sight heights sorted so I can use the tang sight on the rams. The next stem for the Marbles tang sight is .23" higher. With that stem I won't be able to get low enough for the chickens. I may just cut and lengthen the stem I have when I figure out what the best length would be. Other than that I need to do some more load development. I would like to get the velocities a little higher. And I need to remember to take the extra inserts and apertures for the sights to the match. I didn't have the best combination of apertures in the sights. I had the smallest apertures in the globe and the tang sight. That worked great at 100 yards off the bench. It was very hard to see the silhouettes through the small apertures though. It was really tough with the wind. I had to locate the target over the sights and then bring the sights up onto it. The wind would blow me off and then I had to start all over again.

Still it is fun getting competitive with those bolt gunners with their jacketed bullets. It just adds a little more spice to the pot!

Buckshot
05-08-2006, 03:28 AM
.............Great report, and fun to read. I've never shot silhuette at 'Official" rifle type ranges. Our club held official matches, but the ram was at 200 meters. I think this was for handgun stuff. Anyway, they let club members shoot cast lead in what they called the "Cowboy Shoot", but it could be any rifle, and it was non-rated and for fun only.

That was about 12 years ago. Doesn't seem that long, really. I had 4 rifles I liked to shoot.

M93 Marlin 30-30, Lee 160gr, 21.0 IMR4198 + Dacron
M98/08 Brazilian Mauser 7x57, RCBS 7mm-168, 21.0 IMR4198 + Dacron
M03A1 Springfield 30-06, Ly 311284, 23.0 IMR4198 + Dacron
MkIV Martini, 577-450, Lee 405gr paper patched, 38.0grs IMR3031 + Dacron

The Marlin at first just had it's step elevator buckhorn rear sight sight sight settings for it were tough. I bought a front sight from GPC that went into the dovetail but it's 'bead on post' could be screwed up or down about .150" or so, and was secured with a tiny setscrew. `

On the Martini I had installed a sidemounted rear sight made by the old Christi's Gunshop of Sacramento, CA. It was steel but rudimentary in the extreme. The windage was like an old cheap Williams with the eyepiece held via 2 screws. There were NO windage markings or elevation markings on the slide. I cut the millimeter scale off a stainless steel ruler and screwed it on the sidemount and scribed a line on the slide. At least I had some reference marks!

I remember the sight settings for the Martini and they were all belly holds. It was 0.0, 2, 5.5, and 9.5. Normally 3-4 of us Burrito Shooters would go through as a group, and we'd have a blast. I had a 3x5 card for each rifle with it's sight settings. I invited my cousin to come shoot one weekend and danged if he didn't outshoot me with 3 of my own rifles, using my loads and sight settings!

................Buckshot

Trailblazer
05-08-2006, 10:10 AM
We have the same kind of match here. We shoot during the handgun match. The level of competition has really fallen off in the last few years. I normally shoot a score of 30 to 32 unless I am having a bad day. I haven't seen anybody else break 30 in an age. You used to have to score over 30 to have any chance of winning. A lot of the fun is the trash talk that goes with the competition but we just don't have it now. It is still fun to shoot and I am going to shoot our match in two weeks because I have a batch of ammo I loaded for long range that isn't accurate enough for long range but should be fine for the short range game. It is the zen thing of offhand shooting you know!

If you use peep sights at our club they put you in the scope class so I shoot slightly modified regular iron sights. I made a step bar for the rear sight with finer steps that helps. I am able to use the same 6 o'clock hold on everything with the finer steps. I also made the rear sight into a shallow V and enlarged the front bead. That works much better for me!

I like your choice of loads. I use 21 grains of 4198 in the 30-30 with my 150 to 180 grain bullets. That is what I used on chickens and pigs Saturday. I want to bump the velocities up on that load but it did fine. It even seemed to handle the wind OK. I had two clicks of wind in on the pigs. Marbles says a click is about .4" at 100 yards. I haven't figured out what it is on my rifle. I may have shot my pigs before the wind got the strongest too. I had nine clicks in on the rams but the wind had eased a little when we shot rams.

Jon K
05-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer,

Good report.

The Ram that you rang, was it one of the famous Ojai Rams that are NOT created equal? Calrify, Ha Ha.

Where did you get a longer stem for the Marbles sight? Did you have to send it back to the factory?

Jon

:castmine:

Trailblazer
05-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Jon,
I didn't know they were famous! Some do have wider feet than they are supposed to. When we went to pick up targets, I noticed several rams standing on the ground behind the rail. I don't know if the target setter got lazy or if he stood them there so the wind wouldn't blow them over. I don't know where the one I rang was set. I wasn't in the running to place because I got confused on my turkey sight settings and cost myself a couple targets. Anyway I didn't really care about the ram and didn't bother looking. Nothing at stake except bragging rights and that don't last long! We do tend to get more ringers when it is windy because the target line is cut back into a hill and the wind swirls around in there and can hold them up. My classic ringer was when I hit a ram about 2" below the top of the back with a 180 BT out of a 30-06 and he just stood there. By all rights that ram should have hit the dirt! But it was a windy day.

I don't have a longer stem yet. I talked to Troy at Marbles and he said they would be sold through Brownells. I haven't tried to order one yet. If you want one call Marbles and talk to Troy. He is the man.

Trailblazer
05-09-2006, 09:00 PM
I picked this fired bullet up behind my bank of targets. Thought it looked familiar. Looks like the Saeco 311 I used on chickens and pigs. You can see the crimp groove made with the Lee FCD and the rifling looks sharp. You can see where the lands pushed lead back into the grease grooves too.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/403969.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=403969&c=556&z=1)