PDA

View Full Version : Stick on WW question

Jeffery8mm
11-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I am looking to develop a hunting load for my daughters .308 win. for Ms whitetail.
I want to use soft lead [i think] at these lower velocities so as to get some expansion. Load will be 9 to 11 gr unique. Distance will be at a dad imposed distance of 50 yds max. I have read where the stick on ww are close to pure lead, If this is so, sill there be some expansion if I cast some of straight stick on?? Would a 50/50 alloy be better? The boolit is a Lee 30 cal fp 150gr GC. I have lots of these already cast of straight WW but dont know if there will be any expansion at these velocities. Shots will be front shoulder shots.
ANY and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

Bullshop
11-09-2009, 12:50 PM
A basic rule I use to determine if an alloy will expand is that to begin to get expansion you must have an impact velocity equal to or greater than BHN X 100.
That seems to be about right to begin to see some expansion in soft tissue.
Add some heavy bone and it might be different.
Remember this is just a basic rule to get an idea of what is needed, and not the Holy Grail.
BIC/BS

mpmarty
11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd probably use a blend of 50/50 ww and stick on lead but add a bit of tin for mold fill out. That would bring your antimony down to 2% and air cooled they should expand nicely if driven fast enough. You need to experiment to find the right combination.

runfiverun
11-09-2009, 01:08 PM
at the vels you are talking i'd make some from straight ww's for practice, and a few for hunting from50-50 with a tad of tin.

Jeffery8mm
11-09-2009, 01:27 PM
50/50 it will be. But I have to ask a question. Where might I acquire some Sn to add to my alloy??
Jeff

mpmarty
11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Nearly pure tin is available at hardware stores sold as leadless solder.

Jeffery8mm
11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the tin tip Marty, I will visit the Hardware in the AM.
Jeff

kawalekm
11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
I did a little ballistics testing with soaking wet computer printer paper years back. I fired a variety of lead and jacketed bullets into it to test expansion. I recovered fired 9mm TC bullets that I wouldn't know were fired except I could see the rifling marks. SWC's in .38/357 were about the same. Lyman's 358477 bullet fired at 1800fps out of my Marlin rifle mushroomed nicely though. That was made with ww+5% tin (Lyman #2 alloy). I think you'd get better performance going with a harder alloy that you can push faster. Let the speed do the mushrooming, not the alloy!