PDA

View Full Version : Quick n dirty way to adjust alloy to match a known 'good' boolit

ghh3rd
11-09-2009, 01:43 AM
I just read a tip from Lee Precision about how to try to adjust alloy to match hardness of a boolit you like.

Take a bullet of known hardness.
Place it base to base with one of unknown hardness
Squeeze them in a vise.
The softer bullet will compress a greater amount.
Adjust your alloy to suit.

I suppose a hardness tester would be better, but if you don't have one....

Randy

Bret4207
11-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Too bad doesn't Lee also tell you how to determine the alloy composition. Hardness alone isn't the whole story on an alloy. No offense to you, I have issues with that book and it's author..

randyrat
11-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I just read a tip from Lee Precision about how to try to adjust alloy to match hardness of a boolit you like.

Take a bullet of known hardness.
Place it base to base with one of unknown hardness
Squeeze them in a vise.
The softer bullet will compress a greater amount.
Adjust your alloy to suit.

I suppose a hardness tester would be better, but if you don't have one....

Randy
I have a hardness tester i never use it anymore. i go by weight and what my guns like. I have used my Lee tester many times and everytime i use it i get a headache. I'd like to take a BIG HAMMER to it. The BHN is a guide only not writen in stone. Save your money and buy a couple more Molds with the money you saved.
I may dig mine out and play with it again someday, someday i'm in a real good mood.

Richard Lee forgot more than i'll ever know about reloading, even so, a great deal of any reloading book contain THREORIES, again not writen in stone, some proven wrong, a lot proven right. It is a very good book to read though.

Ricochet
11-09-2009, 10:01 AM
...a great deal of any reloading book contain THREORIES, again not writen in stone, some proven wrong, a lot proven right.
True of a great deal you can read here, too.

Theories are ways of explaining what we see. Sometimes we know what works, but may be mistaken about why it does.

runfiverun
11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
jebus bret.
everytime i say richard lee wrote the infomercials for ronco it starts a fight.

pdawg_shooter
11-09-2009, 02:34 PM
His pressure to hardness ratio falls apart when you start paper patching your bullets. You can way exceed his limits with a bit of paper wrapped around the bullet .

helg
11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I have a hardness tester i never use it anymore. I have used my Lee tester many times and everytime i use it i get a headache.
Mind to sell the Lee hardness tester? PM please with a price, address and what kind of payment would you like to receive.

leftiye
11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
R5R, I doubt Bterr's issue is with you. This 1422 X BHN thang has been kicked (literally) all over the place here. As far as I can see there isn't any guarantee of no deformation when you stay below it, and lots of folks here ignore it sucessfully as a matter of practice. And then we keep hearing quotes from it as if it were the bible.

Bret4207
11-09-2009, 08:35 PM
jebus bret.
everytime i say richard lee wrote the infomercials for ronco it starts a fight.

Ha!:groner: I try to put it a bit "kinder" than that, but I agree.