PDA

View Full Version : Range Day Finally

Newtire
05-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Beautiful weather & Momma off to a conference for the weekend. Decided to do some weed eating & catch up on those long neglected honey-do’s on the list...NOT!
Loaded up the trunk of the Honda with 2, .30-30 leverguns, a couple-a .30-06’s, an
M-1 carbine and 2-H & R pistols, an old “Trapper” model .22 and the 586 .32 mag. Along with this, I managed to bring ammo for each one and not forget a single caliber. Still, a couple of guns never made it out of the trunk. Only so much you can shoot on any given day & still have fun doing it.
I ran across a couple of great loads in all the calibers I shot. My “new” Model 70 just shot like a house-on-fire. I got a “cheapie” Tasco Pronghorn scope & put it on there (eyeball zero’ed). First shot went right thru the center of the bull. Maybe this will be like 3 other cheapie Tasco’s I have that have stood the test of an air rifle, a .444 Marlin, & my trusty Springfield. Had one crummy one actually and the rest have been OK. Really love those Weaver K models but just can’t seem to come up with the loot.
I shot some 29.7 gr. RX-7 loads in .30-06 with Lyman 311290, Group buy 311407 & 311041, plus the RCBS 165 gr. Silhouette bullet. I shot the 180 gr. Lee with 25.5 gr.
RX-7 also. All of these went inside 1-1 1/2” @ 50 yds. just first time out of the gate. I loaded these all with Magnum primers. Next batch will be with plain old Large Rifle. All of them were dipped with Lee Dippers too. I plan on loading some more with my new Lee “Perfect” measure. I have been on accelerated “fancification” of cast bullet shooting gear since I got a nice tax return. I got a hardness tester & a lube heater last week. The batch of Felix lube I made has (as a source of lanolin) this stuff called Palmer’s hair pressing oil. (Bought it at Grocery Outlet) Makes my shop smell like a barber shop. I used the Felix-Lubed bullets in ½ of those ’06 loads I fired today and none of them leaded. For that matter, none of the LA ones did either.
The .30 carbine liked it’s usual diet of H-4227 with 311359’s and the Lee 120 RN. It puts these into 1 ½-2” groups at 50 yds. (10-shot groups). A guy next to me was eyeballing it so I gave him a couple cliploads to shoot (being sure to point out that these were cast lead boolits). He said he is going to get one now. Do you think we should carry around little pamphlets or something?
The .30-30 I chose to shoot was a Marlin micro-groove with my trusty aperture sight that has been screwed onto every levergun I have ever had. It also shot great without any signs of leading with both Felix-Lubed boolits & LA.

Used 29.7 gr. H-4895 with Group Buy’s 311041 & 311407. Did a few with 33 gr. 748 & older 311041 2-cavity. This was all in .30-30. Nice groups. Those 4895 loads were under an inch @ 50 yds. I was impressed as I kind of had the impression that it wasn't such a hot powder for accuracy. So much for that rumor!
I am going to try for some accuracy more this year now that things are more consistent with my loading. I am even going to switch to non-magnum primers except for the H-335 type stuff ( I guess it needs magnum primers).
Last but not least , the .32 H & R 586 did pretty good with 10 gr. 4227 & RCBS 32-98. Only thing was that I had some IMR 4227 instead of the H-4227. A guy laid a free pound on me. It left some hard kernels in the cylinders so that the next cylinder load got little imprints of grains pressed into them. Glad I only loaded 20.
I had pleasant results with 4.4 gr. Unique (that’s tops for me in this gun). They were pretty nice shooting. Top honors goes to 800-X with 5.1 gr. I had tried this powder before with 4.7 gr. and no luck. This seems to have taken care of everything. Ken Waters recommended this powder. I was dipping it but will try it in the Auto-Disc. It’s pretty rough looking stuff.I’ll have to see how well it meters.
Well, that was alot of yakking, I’ll hang up & give someone else a chance. Got lots of projects to work on now.

Bass Ackward
05-07-2006, 06:13 AM
You sound surprised that your new Mod 70 would do so well on it's maiden voyage. Just wait until it breaks in. On second though, don't wait. Send momma out of town again soon. :grin:

Bucks Owin
05-07-2006, 01:00 PM
You sound surprised that your new Mod 70 would do so well on it's maiden voyage. Just wait until it breaks in. On second though, don't wait. Send momma out of town again soon. :grin:

Yep, nothing like spending the day doing "quality time" with a mess of firearms!

Regarding the M-70, I agree with B.A. The great Win M-70 will always be "The Rifleman's Rifle" in my view and quite a few reside in my cabinet. Funny thing is, the often maligned "post '64" models are every bit as accurate as my "old" M-70s. When Win decided in 1964 to lower manufacturing costs by building the M70 in the same style as Remington's M700 a lot of crapola was published in the gun rags about it's actual performance I think. So what if the Mauser style external extractor was gone? It still had Win's superior barrel and "new" rifles I shot were just as accurate (if not more so) and the extraction never gave me any problems. (Nor did Rem's for that matter which was practically identical) I think Win's decision to "bring back" the pre 64 style rifle in addition to building the post 64 style is one of the reasons that they are going belly up. The folks who cried and whined for the "old" 70 simply didn't buy them....

Anyway...

Dennis :coffee:

PatMarlin
05-07-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm jealous-

Haven't even got to shoot my Model 70 yet.

4895 not accurate?... Blasphemy!! :mrgreen:

Bucks Owin
05-07-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm jealous-

Haven't even got to shoot my Model 70 yet.

4895 not accurate?... Blasphemy!! :mrgreen:

Speaking of 4895 and Model 70s, one of the tightest groups I've ever fired in my life involved both. I was 11 yrs old and was shooting the "old" M70 Featherweight .243 my Dad had given me the year before off sandbags. 44 grs of H-4895 behind Sierra's 60 gr HP got me a group that went 3/8" at 100 yds. Even Dad who was a helluva varmint/BR shooter was impressed! (His best was around 5/8" with that combo) I was pretty lucky that day, but it was the first (and few!) time I had EVER outshot "The Ol' Man"....:-D ....sigh

Sure miss ya "Pappy",

Dennis

PS This load is "hot" BTW and not a recommendation....

Newtire
05-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Yep, nothing like spending the day doing "quality time" with a mess of firearms!

Regarding the M-70, I agree with B.A. The great Win M-70 will always be "The Rifleman's Rifle" in my view and quite a few reside in my cabinet. Funny thing is, the often maligned "post '64" models are every bit as accurate as my "old" M-70s. When Win decided in 1964 to lower manufacturing costs by building the M70 in the same style as Remington's M700 a lot of crapola was published in the gun rags about it's actual performance I think. So what if the Mauser style external extractor was gone? It still had Win's superior barrel and "new" rifles I shot were just as accurate (if not more so) and the extraction never gave me any problems. (Nor did Rem's for that matter which was practically identical) I think Win's decision to "bring back" the pre 64 style rifle in addition to building the post 64 style is one of the reasons that they are going belly up. The folks who cried and whined for the "old" 70 simply didn't buy them....

Anyway...

Dennis :coffee:
Just heard alot of the same rumors. I'm glad it seems to be a good gun all around. The thing really spits the cases out & no problems feeding. Nice trigger too. My comment about being surprized more or less just applies to the fact that even the scope & the load worked out great. I find the least amount of B.S. ing goes on with this group. That barrel is real smooth to run a patch thru. Glad I got it! Used, cost me $350.00. Hah! As we speak, a Doe is just cruising by my garage. I know, I know...

Bucks Owin
05-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Just heard alot of the same rumors. I'm glad it seems to be a good gun all around. The thing really spits the cases out & no problems feeding. Nice trigger too. My comment about being surprized more or less just applies to the fact that even the scope & the load worked out great. I find the least amount of B.S. ing goes on with this group. That barrel is real smooth to run a patch thru. Glad I got it! Used, cost me $350.00. Hah! As we speak, a Doe is just cruising by my garage. I know, I know...

LOL...

I have the same "problem". There are so many deer around here that they are practically a nuisance! My address is "Bambi Drive". (really!) When we first moved up here it was pretty cool to have deer come up on the porch and eat out of your hand. That got old in a hurry! Damn flies and fleas buzzin' around and anything growing gobbled up....

Still, it's fun to view them through a scope huh? [smilie=1:

Dennis

(Wish I could figure out how to put crosshairs in my digital camera...) :Fire: