PDA

View Full Version : What Hunts Lined Up For 2006

6pt-sika
05-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Other then hunting in VA for whitetails, I will go to MD for Sika's.
Was gonna go to TX for Sika the end of September but work caused that to fall thru.
May look around for somewhere to go shoot a few pigs. Would like to field test some of the Ranch Dog bullets in a few different rifles.

:castmine:

Ranch Dog
05-06-2006, 11:49 PM
RDs gonna try some of those boolits out too! Just my whitetails this year unless I draw a Maine moose tag. Of course there is always the hogs.

6pt-sika
05-07-2006, 02:17 AM
RDs gonna try some of those boolits out too! Just my whitetails this year unless I draw a Maine moose tag. Of course there is always the hogs.

I've been trying on and off for over 10 years to get one of those tags :-?

Ranch Dog
05-07-2006, 09:03 AM
I've bought the chances every year for three or four years now. The important thing is not to skip a year or you go back to zero on your preference points.

Last year, I killed the largest whitetail (B&C) in my home county. I would like to concentrate on doing the same thing for a couple of years in a row. I guess the feat has something to do with proving to myself that it was no accident.

ammohead
05-07-2006, 10:42 AM
I have applications here in NV for mule deer buck, cow elk and California, Rocky Mountain and Desert Bighorn. I have 12 bonus points for Desert Bighorn. It's my first year applying for the other 2 sheep.

2 of my choices (you pick 5 areas in order of preference) for mule deer are for muzzleloader and I will carry cast boolits for the other 3 choices half the time should I draw one. The most likely draw will be the cow elk and I have made my mind up that I will pack only cast bullets if I draw. She will fall either to my Marlin cowboy in 45-70 or my Model 71 348 Win. I have my fingers crossed for my first choice for cow up on Table Mountain southeast of Austin NV. A friend has volunteered horses for the trip. I have always wanted to hunt the Table, but dreaded the thought of packing something out of that country on foot.

If I draw a sheep tag I will hunt with my 257 Roberts AI. Wouldn't want to limit my range on a once in a lifetime hunt.

ammohead

Ranch Dog
05-08-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm in the drawing every year for a Texas Desert Bighorn but figure the chances are pretty far out there. The place I've been hunting antelope and mule deer on has the only free-ranging, low-fence elk herd in Texas. I'm on the list there but it will be a while as they only kill two a year. For both of these I will use my Marlin 444T and a TLC432-285-RF.

9.3X62AL
05-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Deer this year locally......the usual D-14 tag that's easily secured as a 2nd tag, if I get lucky and line up at midnight at DFG for a D-17 (desert muley/burro muley) tag. For the D-17 deer it will be the Ruger 6.5 x 55 and NosPart 140's, the D-14 hunt will be cast boolits--9.3 x 62 rifle, or the 10mm pistol/mag revolver.

Old Ironsights
05-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Indiana draws aren't published yet, but I'm in for at least a Flintlock Doe at a Lodge where I'm going to help hang Treestands.

Wayne Dobbs
05-12-2006, 01:47 AM
Ranch Dog,

I thought that the whitetail hunting in DeWitt County was dried up! I lived there as a little boy between Mission Valley and Meyersville and loved it! I hate to see all the development there as my best times as a kid were there with a .22 or a fishing pole...

Wayne

Ranch Dog
05-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Ranch Dog,

I thought that the whitetail hunting in DeWitt County was dried up! I lived there as a little boy between Mission Valley and Meyersville and loved it! I hate to see all the development there as my best times as a kid were there with a .22 or a fishing pole...

Wayne

Wayne...

Deer hunting in DeWitt County is alive and well. The Post Oak Savannah has fallen to small acreage ownership and the hunting pressure on all the small pieces of property negatively effects the deer. There is some relief in the form of antler restrictions. These rules are controversial but the bottom line is that they work. More bucks make it through the hunting season.

I've posted this elsewhere but here is my DeWitt County deer from last season...

http://home.awesomenet.net/~ranch-dog/Hunting/2005/Deer111605_002.jpg

klausg
05-17-2006, 03:13 AM
Gang-
Not wanting to break any hearts, but spring bear is already open up here; myself & a buddy have a bait station set up, but no hits so far. This weekend I'll be heading down to Prince William Sound for some amphibious bear hunting on all of the islands out there. Hopefully the weather will cooperate; unfortunately I'm a little too new at the CB game to be shooting cast, (don't have an operational rifle that it'd make sense in either). So it'll be a toss-up between the .300 RSAUM and the .375 H&H. Hopefully I'll have some nice pic's for you guys next week.

-SSG Klaus

6pt-sika
05-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Gang-
Not wanting to break any hearts, but spring bear is already open up here; myself & a buddy have a bait station set up, but no hits so far. This weekend I'll be heading down to Prince William Sound for some amphibious bear hunting on all of the islands out there. Hopefully the weather will cooperate; unfortunately I'm a little too new at the CB game to be shooting cast, (don't have an operational rifle that it'd make sense in either). So it'll be a toss-up between the .300 RSAUM and the .375 H&H. Hopefully I'll have some nice pic's for you guys next week.

-SSG Klaus

Well I've used the 300 RSUM and 375 H&H MAG for deer but never bear . Never killed a bear for that matter.Last time I went bear hunting I took a 450 Marlin .

How far are you from POW Island ? I've often thought of coming there for blacktails and black bear .

Goodluck with the hunting :drinks:

krag35
05-17-2006, 08:15 AM
White tail muzzleloader in Dec. Cow Elk in November Son Dale is in for a mule Deer tag in Sept. Black Bear during general season. All will be with cast Boolits.
krag35

StarMetal
05-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Klausg,

My friend had a 375 H&H that set in his gun cabinet for years. He had bought it for a bear hunt up on Kodiak that never materialize. I got him shooting cast out of it. He already had a 375 mould that was a RCBS gaschecked 200 some gr. That H&H shot the cast bullet very very well. So you do have a rifle that will shoot cast my friend.

Joe

klausg
05-17-2006, 09:40 AM
disregard, hit the wrong key in error

klausg
05-17-2006, 09:56 AM
StarMetal- I stand corrected; I tend to think of CB's in a rifle as more along the lines of my Rem. Rolling Block project gun, (probably a 40-65, haven't decided yet). Will "I don't have any rifle molds yet" work as a viable excuse?

6pt-sika- I assume that POW=Prince of Wales; if so that is way south of me, as in a plane ride to Ketchikan, airliner not bush pilot, (Eagle River is just north of Anchorage). From what I understand though that area is crawling w/ blacktail & black bear both; but you better pack some really good rain gear as that area is like western WA; it rains ALL the time. Still it'd be a fun hunt.

Take care all

-SSG Klaus

ammohead
05-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Will "I don't have any rifle molds yet" work as a viable excuse?

-SSG Klaus[/QUOTE]

klaus,

With 55 posts you should already know that statements like this will windup getting you boolits in the mail. Then you will be out of excuses.

ammohead

waksupi
05-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Klaus, you had me scratching my head, too. If you have a .375, you definitely have a cast bullet rifle!

klausg
05-18-2006, 02:48 PM
ammohead/waksupi- Okay already! As soon as I get out of debt over the lube/sizer I'm bidding on I promise to start casting for the big dog. Any favorite mold in that caliber, (250+ grains, GC)??? Thanks again guys

-SSG Klaus

DanWalker
05-21-2006, 01:19 AM
I'll be trying for my first handgun antelope this year. I'll be shooting a 45LC blackhawk loaded with either a 300gr rnfpgc from a LEE mould, or a 250 grain keith style. It just depends on which I shoot the best. Still waiting on the keith mould.(Group buy)

redneckdan
05-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Nothin special here. Just wander around the woods poppin red squirrels with the 8x57. Hopefully I will have time to do deer this year. Someday I wanna to elk down near Atlanta.

deerstalker
05-24-2006, 11:59 PM
Plan on a prairie dog hunt the 2nd and 3rd of June, out in western Ks, then of course Deer hunting this winter. Will be trying a new pistol out, an Encore in 6mmbr from MGM. Should be exciting.. and also a 7-08 in the Encore. And of course the puttied cat in the neighbor, open year round.. Richard..

charger 1
05-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Got a tag for elk in western canada(roosevelt elk). and locally whitetail. Both will be in dense cover so I'm going to use the marlin 1895 with my LBT 458 340 gr WFN

BD
05-29-2006, 07:02 PM
I've been trying on and off for over 10 years to get one of those tags :-?
I spent the best part of the last 25 years living and working in Maine. I've entered all of the chances allowed ever since they started the hunt. I put in my resident application again this year, and then moved to South Carolina for work. What do you want to bet I'll get drawn for the resident tag this year now that I'm not a resident. BD

405 WCF
05-31-2006, 06:44 AM
The 21 of August, when our brown bear hunt starts, my 444 will be loaded with air coled 350 grs bullets, cast out of 95% WW and 5% tenn.

The first Monday in September, when the moose hunt starts, I will load my rifle with water quenched Ranch Dog bullets.

Before that, I will "kill" a lot of paper moose and paper bears!!!!

Ranch Dog
05-31-2006, 10:02 AM
I spent the best part of the last 25 years living and working in Maine. I've entered all of the chances allowed ever since they started the hunt. I put in my resident application again this year, and then moved to South Carolina for work. What do you want to bet I'll get drawn for the resident tag this year now that I'm not a resident. BD

That would really suck...

Four Fingers of Death
06-02-2006, 06:20 AM
I'm supposed to be away today and this weekend hunting deer and pigs, but had an accident at work and my knee is badly swollen. dang it!

Plan B was to load ammo tonight and tomorrow morning, off to the rifle range tomorrow afternoon and the pistol range from 1000hrs on Sunday until I run out of ammo!

Plan C, surf's up and wife wants to go to the beach for a look tomorrow (it's winter here as of yesterday). Great, we have a 20mile beach at Stocktown, about 70 miles from here, where for $5 you can get a pass and drive on the beach and the incredibly big sand dunes there :-).

Plan D not keen on the scary 4wd stuff, so we are going to in the car. Picnic's up!

Well, there's always the pistol club on Sunday.
Mick.

Ranch Dog
06-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Bummer... another year without a Maine moose permit. :(

6pt-sika
06-18-2006, 11:15 PM
In the next week or so I will be sending in the application for permits on the Blackwater NWR in Dorchester MD . And then in a month or so I will be sending in application for the lottery in Chincoteague NWR in Virginia . The one in MD is pretty certain , but the one in VA is 50/50 [smilie=1:
Be nice to get a Sika in MD and VA in the same year .
Never done that before :drinks:

Michael sorry you missed out on the moose in Maine :???:
There's always next year . Ever thought of booking a bear hunt up there ? Been whitetail hunting in Maine but never bear or moose . WOuldn't mind taking one bear myself [smilie=1: [smilie=1:

Ranch Dog
06-19-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't have a lot of interest in bear hunting. I tend to be interested in critters with hoofs rather than claws now that I think about it! [smilie=1:

ammohead
06-19-2006, 02:26 PM
I drew a cow tag for area 075 Northwest of Wells NV. The regs say that low success rates are expected because of limited access and low numbers of elk. But I will do my homework and hunt hard. A buddy of mine filled his tag there last year quite easily, but luck may have had a hand. Two of my stepsons drew cow tags in the Pioche area. It is a late hunt also. We have had good success there in the past. The youngest stepson also drew a late (Oct) antelope tag close to home. So we should be able to put some meat in the freezer.

ammohead

TCLouis
06-19-2006, 11:13 PM
in Colorado count.
Conejos River valley SW of Antonito.

YESSSSSSSS! ! !

It will be with some kinda boolit I cast. Too bad 45s don't count, I have one good shoot load that is close to 45-70 Black Powder performance.

And yet 50 cal round ball is ok . . . .

Oh well will sure beat a week at work!!

Junior1942
06-22-2006, 06:46 AM
I'm planning a week long backpack camping/hunting trip for the first cold spell this year. I had no idea there was so much backpacking equipment available. I've settled, maybe, on a Cabela's North Star bivy, a Wiggys sleeping bag, and a Therm-A-Rest 1 1/2" pad. All three of those items were highly recommended by guys who used them. You guys have any suggestions?

I plan to sleep in the bivy and cook & relax under a tarp out of the rain, which will surely be there.

6pt-sika
07-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Checked my mail last night and finally got the paper work for my Blackwater permits . They are doled out first come first served , but not to be postmarked before 7/3 . So I filled them out last night put in a check and sent them priority this morning.
Now lets wait and see what I get [smilie=1:

6pt-sika
07-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Incidently I put in for early ML season and shotgun season . You can buy bow permits at the refuge office any time after Sept 17th I believe , so I may get one of those later as well.

mparks
07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Basic deer hunting in MI. Cast bullets in muzzleloaders and .41 Mag Blackhawk and Redhawk. Conventional ammo in 12 ga slug guns and Rem 700 .270 Win.

Bucks Owin
07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm hoping to handgun a hog with my .44 Blackhawk this year....

If I do, you'll all be the first to know! :-D

Dennis